Sunday 31 January 2010

Review: Marked & Betrayed - PC and Kristin Cast

Marked by P.C and Kristin Cast
The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change.  It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  

Betrayed, Book 2
Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She’s come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey’s old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. 

I have very mixed feelings about this book. One side of me thought book 1 was ok, but this second book, I started to get annoyed.

First there is this thing that all vampires are beautiful, so only pretty people change? And of course they get even more beautiful after they are marked. Zoey is of course truly beautiful. She gets best friends the first day at school, she has always been popular. But no she is no mean girl, she says it time after time that she is a real geek.

Then there is the guys, she calls this other girl a slut for one thing, but she herself has 2 boyfriends, and flirting with another. There is where I started to get annoyed with her, of course she feels a little bad, but come on she cheats. And the guys, hottest things around, and yes geeks. Like we couldn't like someone beautiful who wasn't a geek. It feels like they want to maker her and them feel just like us "normal ugly geeky people".

And she has vampire super powers. Yes she is special, and will become very powerful, perhaps most ever. There I got the Mary Sue thoughts.

Then there is the language, like totally teen, whatever. Sure I used words, and still use them, but she sounds like those she does not like. Skinny girls, bimbos, sluts, those who wear make-up, but then she is one. She does swear a lot too, but then so does I, but I don't have to read about it. it feels like they tried too much.

Forgot, all stars are vampires, all famous people ever seems to have been vampires. Hm.

Now it sounds like I hated it this book, but I did not. It was ok, the first one anyway, the second started to get too often under my skin.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Very YA paranormal.
Reason for Reading: Library books.
Final thoughts: Surely good for YA fans.


24 comments:

  1. I suspose we can't love them all but you did write a lovely review.
    Have a lovely week my dear.
    Warm regards,
    Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These have been sitting on my pile for about a year and I really don't feel in a rush to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I LOVE the Vampire Academy series, this series for me is just okay.

    I left an award for you here

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, will you be reading the third one?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simone,
    So very true, there must be bad books, ok books and those we love.
    A great new week to you too.

    Vivenne,
    Nah, you can read them whenever you feel like picking them up. No hurry.

    Patti,
    Thanks :D
    I really do think that the only YA I can read is dystopian.

    Chris,
    ...yes. I will not buy it, no way. But if the library gets it, then why not, cos it was such an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the first book many times at store but always been kinda scared to buy it because I think it would bee too "teen book".
    If my library gets them I think I give them a try...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being these are YA books, the teen drama/slang can be expected to make an appearance at some point. Not all do but most have those traits. I try to read those passage with a grain a salt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first 4 books I thought they were good.The last 2 not so much.
    The twin speak is what drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sounds really good. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of the 8th grade girls want me to read this series but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it quite like they do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it a "thing" that vampires are almost always good-looking? I thought that was one of the general criteria but I may very well be wrong. In either case, I think I'll steer clear of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this series to read at some stage. I know Alaine wasn't keen on one of the books but I don't know which one. Yay for libraries LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats - another win! :)

    Actually, I won a couple books myself last week, so it just must've been a particularly lucky week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elysium,
    Your instinct was dead right, they are so teen, but yes to read them if your library picks them up.

    Donna,
    That I get, I guess they just turn too YA on me then, cos some tend to go so over the top. Still struggling with finding my foot in YA land

    Elain8,
    Oh, that started to bug me in book 2 too, they just went on and on. Ok I get it, one is white, one is black, they are not twins, but they are like twins.

    Yvonne,
    I like easy reads, so quick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staci,
    Lol, I do think you might be right ;)

    Aarti,
    Hehe, yes that sure seems to be the way. Nothing wrong with it, but here it more felt like all beautiful people were vamps, and if someone not a vamp was pretty that was so uncommon or something. Perhaps it was just me getting it like that.

    Teddy,
    Hm I wonder which one. But yes gotta love the library :D

    Thanks Chris!
    Oh yes I did see your name out there too ;) You beat me to it there though. Must have been an extremely lucky week for the both of us

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just preparing to start with the first one this evening - not sure I will after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Host,
    Oh no, well..do start anyway and make up your mind, if only cos they were so simple to read. And sometimes a girl needs something fast

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore vampires, but avoid teenagey vampire stories. I made an exception for Twilight and regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol
    I think I must start following that advice, cos so far I have not read a good YA vampire story

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wasn't crazy about book 1 and will not read any of the others. I use teen language too, but I don't want to read it all the time as well. I totally agree with you Pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny,
    Yes too much of everything, and here I thought yay YA, can that be for me? And so far only the dystopian has caught me

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yikes! I have the first one to read. I sure hope I'm going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the honest review. A friend bought me the first book, but I haven't been in the mood to read it yet.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dar,
    Yikes indeed. Well I hope you will :)

    Anna
    That is what I am here for, and perhaps you will like it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP