Sunday 17 January 2010

Review: Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk


Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk
Allie Beckstrom, book 1

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 368
Published: 2008

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user--maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they offload the cost onto an innocent. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster, and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

Daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune, and the many strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magical offload that has her father's signature all over it, Allie is thrown back into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now, Allie's out for the truth, and the forces she finds herself calling on will overturn everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine, and make her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.



In this world people discovered a way to harness magic 30 years ago. By trapping it in glass pipes for an instance it can be used. But it always takes something from you, pain, a memory, and Allie knows this. Still she hounds. She hunts people who does not use magic right, they do not take the pain, they give it to someone else. Her father is one of the richest men around but she has cut all ties, and she does live in a rathole and really suffers.

This is not a nice world, it feels dirty, and the magic is not something I would like to use. The prize is high. And if any heroine is kick-ass then it is Allie because she really suffers for her job. And each day is a struggle to make it through. I do feel for her, and i could never do what she does every day. I would just suck it up and become a business woman.

A very dark world with magic, no creatures or anything like that. The creatures are us humans. A rich, dark world. A kick-ass heroine (oh yes I love saying that someone is kick-ass and I mean why not cos she does kick some magic ass.) She does has this vulnerability too, and that is rather painful to see. Not fun to ever see someone suffer.

So where was I, right kick-ass (how many times can I use that in a review, we will find out), reality with magic, a strange hunky guy following her around. Oh did I forget to tell you about him, well Zayvion is following her around, and duh, he is the love interest. He is all dark and mysterious, and she does not know if she can trust him or not.

This book involves the mystery in the beginning, why would her father use magic and off load it on a poor kid? And that sets the play for the book. An ok UF with a lot of things going on, nice world, and a love story that...oh can't say it. You just have to find out.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner. I like it, and the tattoos gets an explanation in the book. Very UF

Reason for Reading: My own copy.
Final thoughts: Ok UF, kick-ass (haha, I had to say it!) heroine, magic and love.



29 comments:

  1. You're such a tease with this review Blodeuedd :) I love a good mystery and while I need a change of scenery for now I also enjoy a strong heroine, romance and dark world. This author has been on my TBB list since I heard Susi Sunshine about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kick-ass review. I've seen this book and her other one 'Magic to the Blood' around since about November and I'm glad to learn something more about Ms. Monk's novel.
    Have a lovely week.
    Warmest regards,
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking I really need to read something in this genre. I read one book awhile ago (Any Given Doomsday) and just wasn't impressed.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review =D I really like it when the details in the cover actually means something(ok that is usually the point but all can pull it off). Kick-ass is a great expression/word LOL

    I have an award waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leontine,
    Oh yes Susi loves these books to death doesn't she.
    Hehe, it is so fun to tease, I just can't help myself.

    Simone,
    I do have book 2 also, so gotta read that one and see..well can't say more. I liked her world building, but then that is what I always loves so much about a book.

    Anna,
    Hm, you should find a great UF for sure, I would say Bitten by Kelley Armstrong cos that was my first :)


    Ladybug,
    Aww, thanks! Will come right on over!
    I was so happy to read it cos I did see the tattoos and then when she did write the explanation. Well a good book goes with the cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review was kick-ass!! LOL!! Sounds like a fun book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Blodeuedd, but not sure if I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "a strange hunky guy following her around" that's chill worthy! I have this book, I should read it soon. You make it sound so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I think this is somewhere on my TBR shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard about this book and I'm glad to read it's worth it. Great review Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its been awhile since I've read a "kick ass" book! Sounds like a fun diversion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the kid (I forgot his name). If he's a recurring character I would continue the series.
    But it was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound interesting...love that cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen this one around recently and want to read it, now your review makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep I so love these books and I'm so happy you read it. You have to read the rest. Book 3, Magic in the Bone was so fan-kick-ass-tastic. LOL And I agree the covers are so good. Have you seen the one for book four? So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, not sure if this is my style, but it sounds intriguing. I've never been one for modern fantasy settings, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I began to wonder about the love interest just a sec before you mentioned it ;) I mean, a kick-ass heroine needs a hot guy, right? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Staci ;)
    hehe that it sure was.

    Alaine,
    It is not for everyone, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

    Donna,
    Lol, well he sure is strange and hunky, and very very mysterious.

    Chris
    Hehe, don't get buried under that pile now when you go looking

    Thanks Jenny!
    I wonder what I am in the mood for now, no UF, but..we'll see

    ReplyDelete
  19. DC
    She just was so so, yup kick-ass, I can't believe the things she did, poor thing.

    Linda
    You mean..hm guy who had been in jail kid? I adored kitten.

    Jkaye
    I usually do enjoy UF covers, they are so cool

    Patti
    You should ask Susi, she will tell you all the ways she loves it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susi,
    Oh love that word! fan-kick-ass-tastic.
    Hehe so she was, will read book 2.
    And as for cover 4, love it! The best so far.

    Aarti
    I do not get why they call it fantasy really, I mean it has the same elements as paranomal romance, but with less romance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Janna,
    A kick ass heroine sure needs a hot guy, the world could not function otherwise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds good, but I don't know. Maybe I'll wait and see what you have to say about #2.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh..kick ass. I keep reading great things about this series..one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this one waiting to be read... But I haven't been in UF mode for a long time. Still have to wait for the right moment!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carol,
    Perhaps that is safe, of course she will truly still be kick-ass then, lol

    Mandi,
    No other word to describe this woman, that is for sure.

    Maija
    Better to wait, I know when UF moments come up for me and then I read

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review B!

    I have this one on my list (since I hang out at the Deadline Dames and your Goodreads comments let me know that this is one for me!)

    Thanks B!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dottie,
    Stared hanging out with them dames myself ;) It was cos of that writing contest

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very dark world with magic, no creatures or anything like that. The creatures are us humans. A rich, dark world

    This I like - I am kinda tired of the over abundance of creature and other things...

    On my list hon...

    Thanks

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  29. EH
    very true, there are sure a lot of things out there (then again if something does show up here I wont mind)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP