Thursday 28 January 2010

Review: Very Valentine - Adriana Trigiani


Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Genre: Contemporary romance, fiction
Pages: 384
Published: 2009

From the authors site:

Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family’s old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a f amily secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected.


Book Review:

This is a book filled with laughs, sorrow, romance, and the love for your family and the love for shoes. They play a big part in this book and she presents those doing it the old fashioned way. A way that might be forgotten today. It’s the first book in a trilogy but it can be read as a standalone novel. The next book, Brava Valentine is out in February 2010.

Valentine gave up much to make shoes and she loves her job. It is what she was born to do. She a person easy to like for the reader, even if she herself does not always think so. She is the funnyone in her family, not the brain, not the beauty, and that has colored her. But she is in her best element when she is creative and making shoes. But it looks like the company might be going under, and they need help fast. A situation is presented that might give them a chance. She will be able to prove herself and make her family see that this is what she wants and is great at. The Angelini shoe company might live to see another day.

Trigiani knows how to write a compelling book. It has humor in hidden depths and it’s an easy book to read, but a hard book to put down. The family dynamics is real and they argue a lot, but they also love each other fiercely. Everything is not always that easy when it comes to family and love. Her grandmother is my favorite, she has spirit and she has a little story of her own in this book. A sweet story that is not to be missed.

The romance is not easy either in this book. It deals with real life and two very busy people. They hardly have time for each other and their budding romance. Valentine deserves her romance and even if this can be read as a standalone novel it does make you curious what will happen in the next one. How does the romance go, and what about their little shoe company? Because they do make the most remarkable shoes, and I do love shoes, and reading about them.

It’s a warm novel, and she knows what she is doing. She brings in a little of everything into the book so there is something for everyone and all ages. If you want some romance, some smiles, some hard times, and some shoes then this might be a book for you.
 

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: This is what made me pick it up.
Reason for reading: Borrowed from the library
Final thoughts: Nice book that held my attention and made me wonder what next?



22 comments:

  1. Another thoughtful well written review. I love books with grandmothers who has spunk so I'll keep this one in mind.
    Warm regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I've heard so many good things about her books. I really need to read one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds wonderful. I've read quite a few by this author and enjoyed every one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good read for when I'm in the mood for something light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. Enjoyed this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simone,
    They are sure something special :) Ever since grandma Mazur in the Stephenie Plum books, I have been a fan of cool grandmothers

    Chris,
    Mmmmmmmm...more shoe thoughts...

    Dar,
    I read one years ago, but this one was really much better (even if I liked that one too)

    Staci,
    I really should read more too!

    Alyce,
    I think that could do the trick then :)

    Nise,
    Thanks, yes it was sure nice, and i wanna know more. Book 2 is soon out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I am always wanting new shoes! I have only read one of her books and I think this sounds like one I would enjoy. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like something I'd enjoy and I love the cover - I would have picked it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful review, Blod. look at that cover -look at that cover, its so gorgeous!

    x
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice book review Blodeuedd! Not sure if this is my kind of reading, but you seem to like this one. But I do like this part of your review... "If you want some romance, some smiles, some hard times, and some shoes then this might be a book for you."
    Thanks honey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JoJo,
    The same with me, too bad that we have winter for 6 months, but I am obsessed with summer shoes ;)

    Patti,
    I know, great cover, it caught my eye at once and had to have it.

    Aimee,
    Sometimes they get it so right! I am impressed

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am addicted to shoes and handbags... I like your review and I heart the cover! Never heard of this author before, will check her out! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cecile,
    It was a sweet read, perfect for women who loves shoes ;) It sure made me wanna buy some.
    Hope all is ok over there! I am sure you're not freezing like we are

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! Warm and inviting - just what you need on a chilly day! :)

    Watch out, we're expecting more snow over the weekend over here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi B!

    Great review! Sounds cute, sweet, and at the same time, tugs with the realities of life. I don't read many contemps and when I do, I like them hot. I might try this one though, who knows, might need a chance of pace.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never read a book by this author though I know she's popular. It sounds fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Marissa,
    Lol, I am the same, too many shoes and handbags. I love them all, but then again i grow tired of them fast too.

    Sassy,
    More snow for you, poor things, we are covered in snow, at least it is not melting and making it slippery

    Dottie,
    Nothing hot here that will make your fingers melt, but I do like it sweet and nice too, and sometimes it just gotta be that :=)

    Aarti,
    She does seem to be, I hope the library gets book 2

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this shoe fetish... so I like to read this book! Great review hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Janna,
    I am with you on the fetish ;)
    It is pumps all the way for me

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have heard so many good things about this author. Your review just puts her over the top. Great job B!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Jenny!'I do like a warm inviting books that makes me wanna read

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP