Wednesday 6 January 2010

Review: Frostbite- Richelle Mead


 Frostbite by Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy, book 2

Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 336
Published: 2008

Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians--including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if handto- hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks.This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price.



So I found book 2, and dived into it without any high hopes, and yes it was ok this one too. I am not into the whole YA paranormal romance stuff.

Rose is worse than ever, honestly are we supposed to like her cos she is such a "rebel"? Because I just thinks she is rude, and horrible. The things she says, she deserves to get slapped. And why does she want to be know as the school slut when she is a virgin, I wish she could get some self respect. And in this one she is very immature too. I can't handle all the angst and teen drama.

But I know people will love the premise of the book. Some fighting with the evil Strigoi, pining over hot Dimitri, sweet love between Christian and Lissa. Mason following Rose around like a lost puppy. The mean girls taking a break, and Rose's mum arriving!

So yes a lot of drama and love angst promised in this book.

But for me I just can't get over ok, it sucks really, I wish I could but for some reason it is the same time with grown up paranormal romance.  It all tends to be ok, fun to read yes, but perhaps not for me to go crazy over and get it to my keeper shelf. of course now when i say that I will surely find something this year and rave about it for months ;)

To sum up the book, Moroi dying, Rose pining, away to a retreat, royals fight, Rose meets strange hunky guy, still pining over Dimitri, and looking at Mason. Pining some more when pretty Tasha shows up. Some Strigoi fighting.

Though, since the library got them, well I will keep on reading, hopefully she will start to grow up some cos I do not understand what Dimitri sees in her when she is like she is.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Ok it is supposed to look like she is getting bitten or something, but I just thinks it looks like she has neck pains.
Reason for reading: Library book
Final thoughts: Some of you will love it



29 comments:

  1. I like the book but I don't like the cover. Too bad it wasn't for you!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read these and I gotta say it's not sounding like I will. :) That's fine - my TBR piles and files are already outta control without adding YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL- well, will be giving THIS one a miss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your final summary - you make me laugh!

    You know I love this series, I just can't get enough of the angst! And one of my favorite characters is introduced in this book - I believe you refer to him as "strange hunky guy" (drinker/cigarette smoker?)

    I'm impressed you're keeping up with the series, I give up after two books if I'm not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your summary!!! Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL..you sound so lackluster when you talk about YA books..I have this one in my tbr...liked the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a nice series. So sad you're not liking it :/ (I'm still hoping you'll learn to love it... maybe with part three or four ;) If you think this series has too much angst, don't ever read A House of Night series by Cast. It was a nice series at first, but when I found Mead's books, A House of Night really pales in comparison. I usually love everything I read but AHoN is something I've started to struggle with...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladybug
    Gott Nytt år :D
    yeah, the cover is so not for me either.


    Chris
    Haha oh yes adding YA would mean so many more books/year, but hey books are awesome ;)


    Aarti,
    I do think it might not be your style, you might even make her a mary Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patti,
    There is something beneath all that angst that managed to keep my attention. Oh and when Rose got slapped, she so deserved it hehe.
    Yup that is the guy, I liked him, i really did ;)


    Staci,
    Lol, I am glad I am to you amusement :D


    mandi,
    I sadly do don't I :( Only when I got my hands on some great Dystopian fiction I can be happy with YA. it is just too sweet and angsty for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maija,
    I know, it seems they are just not for me :( But well I will keep on reading, so perhaps one day...perhaps..
    I thought about Cast but then I read about the swearwords in it and I would just have died laughing so I thought I better not read them, lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolute funniest review. Thanks for the laugh. You have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this series.Is one of my favorite YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I plan on giving this series a try one day. I think when I do, I'll try it on a day I'm wanting something lite to read. These certainly sound like lite, not so serious reading material.

    Maybe these books mature as they progress? Hopefully?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simone,
    Lol, I do not how I do it but my somewhat negative reviews always makes people laugh ;)

    Elaine,
    Lucky you! I wish i could feel so too :(

    Donna
    Oh yes, very much so. I mean they are serious now and again but I do not feel it at all.
    Now she mostly took a step back but perhaps she does mature a little...I hope

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, "she deserves to get slapped"!
    I haven't read any YA books yet and sounds like I won't be picking up this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Brilliant!

    There is a fine line between having an annoying character one just hates and having an annoying character who progressively grows and learns how to behave, so we finally love her! And with an annoying LEAD character, she'd better pull her socks up because no one is going to like her, or sympathise with her quest. (Whatever that is!) and that loses book followers.

    I haven't read these, but I find some YA novels are just not edgy enough for me, where some are great, but that could be because I am not a YA anymore...They need to be different and to stand out from all the rest, for me to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Janna,
    perhaps I would enjoy it more if I was 10 years younger, or just wanna slap her then too cos I was pretty much the same as i am now when i was 16.



    Sassy,
    So true, oh I hope she grows up so I don't have to sit here wanting to slap her silly. She is so rude, and then things she says, yikes.

    They might just be too sweet for me too, so sugar coated in some strange dangerous way. Some YA have stood out but they are the truly dark ones. I am just not YA anymore

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just bought the 2 first books because they were kinda cheap but I've had bad feeling that I won't like them. And now that I read your review I'm pretty sure I won't. But we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blod!

    I can't believe you're gonna let me get one over on you...I finally found a contest you didn't have the answers to? How is this possible? You ALWAYS get the answers!

    I can't believe I'm going to have to announce this to the world! What happened?

    LOL

    Hugs darlin' loved your post today!
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I will pass on this one, but I may recommend the series to my Twilight loving teen stepdaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crimson
    You should never say never, so many people love these books, no matter what age they are. Who knows perhaps you will get sucked in ;)


    Hawk,
    You found me! Here I was hiding in shame, and you found me. Well shame on those who quit! I shall conquer this, I shall!

    DC
    I think that would be the perfect person to read this book :)=

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry this was a disappointment for you. I think the character of Rose would get on my nerves.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anna
    She does have a way to do that. But I will keep in there.

    Sadako,
    Good for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun review. Might even be better than the book itself ;)
    To be honest, I am not into the whole pranormal YA romance craze either. More often than not, the behaviors are just too frustrating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. my sister read the first book in this series and said that it's addicting. she wants to read this next... i don't know if i want to pick this series up though. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lilly
    Lol, thank you for that :)
    Same with me, perhaps I will stick to my end of the world books, and UF, cos the one I read had promise. The whole romance bit not for me in YA.


    Chelleyreads,
    Some sure love it, while it fell short for me it was still ok and I do wanna read more. It has something

    ReplyDelete
  28. This does sound rather involved... I am sometimes glad I am not a YA fan...

    Hopefully the next in the sereis will work for you and tie up some fo those ends...

    i love your snapshot view of this book...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  29. EH
    Lol, thanks, it did turn out rather funny ;)
    let's hope the library get the rest of the books so I will know

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP