Monday 4 January 2010

Review: Specials - Scott Westerfeld


Specials by Scott Westerfeld
Book 3, The Uglies series

Genre: YA dystopian fiction
Pages: 372
Published: 2006

"Special Circumstances":

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary. And now she's been turned into one of them: a superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid. The strength, the speed, and the clarity and focus of her thinking feel better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more.

Still, it's easy to tune that out -- until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.
 
First book read for the year.

I can say at once that it was not as good as the first, but then it is hard to top a thing like that, and this book evolved in its own way so we get to follow all "different" kinds of people, from the uglies, to the pretties and now the special.

Tally is now scary, with fangs, and all hard angles, she has the body of a machine, and on top of that she cuts herself like the rest of the cutters. it is something to feel, to make them more special. yes I am very sure Westerfeld has a point with that, and how some fall into it to feel, when everything else is dark.

She also looks down on everyone else and thinks the specials to be the greatest people ever. Even Zane, her pretty ex is just boring and average. She is scary in her believes, and it is hard to like her in this book. But then she is the extreme.

The story in this book is how to get Zane special too, and by doing that they start something really bad. That and fighting the rebels will shape her world. It has been crumbling for a while now and the governments are not happy, and they are also scared.

I like his world, and the history he made into it. And even if it is an extreme world they do have points. By making everyone pretty there is no jealousy, wars, and fights (and yes they have stuff in their brains). And they are not destroying the earth. The question here is whether freedom is more important than the earth itself. For when people are free it will start again.

One thing I did have a problem with, the way things gets fixed, it seems so easy even though it is hard, and it does makes Tally to the center of the world. But other than that this is a most to the trilogy, and to find out how it all ends for this beautified world.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I like it, I can see the fangs almost there, she looks scary pretty.
Reason for Reading: Library book.
Final thoughts: Not as shocking as the first, but still an ok finish to the series. And there is one more book too even if Tally is not in that one.
 

25 comments:

  1. I read Uglies, but that's as far as I got in the series. I just didn't really care about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read the first one so far, but I would like to read the rest of the series. I find sequels are never really as good as the first, I am yet to be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of this author and it sounds like incredible world building. Good review Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Uglies, then didn't feel inclined to continue. However, I keep reading good things about the series, so I might push through with the rest of the books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    I understand, Tally is not always likable, and Shay, no way. But I like messed up worlds.

    Vivienne
    They seldom are, sad really, but that is just the way. Still one reads them.

    Leontine
    He does an amazing job with that, i really like the strange future he has created. I love great world building


    Fantaghiro
    Hm, well if you didn't like Uglies? Cos that one is the best, the other 2 are petty much the same sort of good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently half way into Uglies, great writing but I just don't care. I won't read the others.

    I can see why people loved the series though, just not my cup of tea.

    http://www.teawithmarce.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read this, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to remedy a bad situation and read the first one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marce,
    I am just a sucker for these crazy worlds, so I can appreciate that :)

    Yvonne,
    I would say that they are worth having a look at.

    Staci
    You sure do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not familar with this author, but this trilogy sounds interesting --especially the message that seems to be behind the books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so good. Another series on my to buy pile. Sometimes I feel like this list will never end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DC
    he does have a good message, and it is not that in your face. A book to be read adn thought about some.

    Susi,
    Haha, well I bet you will find a lot more books to read this year too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree book 1 was the best but I enjoyed the entire series. I was upset about Zane though. Extras was a pretty good read as well even though it follows different characters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie,
    Oh yes poor Zane, that i never thought. Hopefully the library will get extras one day too so that I can read ti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Happy New Year!!!!!!!! YAY!

    Now, I haven't read any of this series, although from what I've heard, and your review (very good review I must add!) this reminds me of the film where everyone in the world cannot tell a lie - as opposed to everyone being beautiful. What they don't have, they don't wish for and no fuss is caused because of it, but in reality, wouldn't it be so boring! LOL Imagine, every beautiful person would be just as dull and normal as the other. That aspect intrigues me. As does your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard of this but it sounds really interesting. It's a series? Hmm. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey honey! You made me go back up to see if I could spot the fangs too!
    You seem to trudging along with this series. I am not sure if they are more too the series or not... but I hope you get a satisfied ending to the series!

    Hope all is well my dear friend, hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sassy,
    happy New year :D
    Oh we watched that movie over the holiday! I liked in that way, that no one knows what lying is. And yes this series is like that, everyone pretty (or should i say supermodels) and silly. I would not like it

    marie,
    Yes a series, good YA, worth a go ;)


    Cecile,
    Haha, I can so see them, scary really. This was sort of the end, there is another book but dunno if that will give an end either. Hm, guess I must be hapyp with this ending

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still haven't decided whether I want to read this series. It sounds interesting, though.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anna,
    Hm, what to say, well at least have a look at the first, for the fun of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't read through your review because I just started the series. I just finished Uglies and loved it so much that I already started Pretties. I think it's a series I'm really going to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dar,
    Yay, oh Uglies rocked :D Pretties was pretty good too and this one was sure strange. Now I really want the next one too

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read all but the specials book and am excited to start reading it!I loved the books, the technology of hoverboards and macheines that make you perfect is really facinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the books ive read all of them except special the technology of hoverboards and technology that can make you "perfect" is facinating to me. If only our world was like that i think it would be better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for visiting :D
    The tech is sure so cool, but I don't wish our world was like that. Everyone pretty, prefect, and dumb

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP