Tuesday 16 February 2010

Review: Nice girls don't have fangs - Molly Harper

Nice girls don't have fangs by Molly Harper
Jane Jameson, book 1

Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 2009
Published: 355

Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed twenty-five dollars in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.

Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?


Funny paranormal romance, yes please. I have wanted to read this book ever since I saw the first cute and funny cover, and then I heard some great things about the book.

The vampires have come out in this book, and they are sort of welcomed. Sure some people accidentally stake vampires, or set them on fire. But at least they can be themselves.

Jane is a nice girl who gets fired from the library she is working out, and she has a bit too much to drink. Then she gets shot. Luckily she impressed someone at the bar who makes her into a vampire, and our story can start. What to tell the parents? Her best friend, and is blood icky? She does get a giftbasket from the vampire committee in the area, but can a lost little vampire find everything there? And what to do when you get framed for murder?

Ok, first thing, mistaken for a deer and shot. I just have to love that, who could I not, it does show that she can get into situations. Like when people start thinking she is putting other vampires on fire. But that is the humour in this book, she may have been thought as plain and boring, but oh that girl can get into trouble.

Then there is the sexy guy who made her into a vampire, hunky Gabriel, him I like, just as I like her. How could I not like her, and she loves book. She named her dog after Mr Darcy, my kind of girl. So of course I had to love her, and mysterious Gabriel. Her best fiend is fun too, nerdy Zeb. I shall not mention what happened, but the scene where he finds out she is a vamp, oh my, there I laughed.

She has got some issues with her perfect sister and mother, and grandmother too. But at least her dad is ok, not to mention the ghost she finds in the house when she becomes a vampire. I love crazy old women.

This is a funny book, some laughs promised. It has romance, (and angry sex). I also learn that there are more creatures out there, and I can't wait to see what else she brings in.

There is something for many in this book, and I do think that funny paranormal romance is a subgenre I would like to explore more.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner. I wanted to read the book cos of the cover, that should sum it up.
Reason for Reading: My own copy.
Final thoughts: Funny and cute.


28 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read! *eyes scary TBR pile* Oh, what the heck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am hearing lots of good stuff about the humor and mistaken for a deer...now that really plays on my laughmuscles <- is this even a real english word?? I don't know, I'm just too lazy to look it up *hides*

    ReplyDelete
  3. B,

    I'm glad you liked this one. :)

    Great review.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review!! I laughed a lot..such a cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it - I really LOL during this book and hubs would look over at me and raise his eyebrow...and I would just laugh more. It's a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound fun. Kind of reminds me of Betsy in the Undead series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! I'm glad you liked it! I love this series. I laughed so much with this series i was getting the weird eye from people around me.
    Ohh yes I love how she named her dog Fitz ...such a funny reference *g*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a lot of fun :-)I love your blog because your taste is so different from mine & you're so enthusiastic, I always learn something new & fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey B:

    Funny read and angry sex??? Sounds good to me!!

    Thanks for sharing... ;)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris,
    Is scary TBR planning to attack you? or take over your room, cos my TBR pile just went to conquer another "country" that is flat. What an evil TBR pile I have, spreading like locust ;)

    Leontine,
    Laughmuscles...dunno either, also to lazy to check out, but we have the word in Swedish so lets say it's so

    Thanks Michelle
    I do like funny.

    Mandi
    I like cute, oh and totally snorted some kind of laugh while my friend was driving. Tried to keep it in so I didn't sit there like a lunatic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti
    I do love books that make people look at you like you are insane. It just shows how funny the books are.

    Dar,
    I was thinking the same, ok I haev not read them, but I read a blurb and put it up on my wish list after finding this series.

    Pattepoilue
    I know, I wanna name a ..cat, bleh on dogs, Darcy, or Fitz :D
    She was cool.

    Marie
    I am glad you're enjoying my oh so wide taste in books :D It's is fun to read all sorts of books.

    Lea,
    Oh yes the angry sex was pretty hot ;) Did not expect it, but yup, they sure blew off some steam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't go giving my TBR pile (shelves) any ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like to laugh while reading, so this must be bought and read, despite of the huge TBR pile that's disappearing behind the horizon! Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun book--it's on my scary huge TBR pile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris,
    Yes keep it quiet, you don't want them to figure out how my pile migrate,

    Janna
    Thanks, people do seem to enjoy this series. I liked that it was light and fun. Oh and that she was a librarian and that I was reading it on my way to a lesson in just that.

    Sadako,
    Those piles are just too scary

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAHAHA. You got me hooked with the 'angry sex'

    x
    Aimee
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds fun and I'm kind of open to the vampire genre, but my TBR piles are way too big at the moment too. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds great B! I think I'm gearing towards a funny PNR. Something a little different and not so serious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fun read is always a good thing!! I love that cover too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another fun, well-written review.
    Warm regards and a lovely week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review hon! I have the first book (maybe even the second book) on my TBR pile that is still screaming at me, lol!
    Bit I love your review. Think I might have to rearrange my shelves!!!
    Hope all is well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi B!

    Sounds awesome to me Blodeuedd! I've wanted to read this series since I first saw the covers. I'm glad you enjoyed it! *rolling up sleeves to shop on Amazon now*

    I'm buying!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice review, but for some reason this one just doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm afraid that it will seem like it's trying too hard to be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aimee,
    Lol, it was pretty nice ;)

    DC
    I totally get that, since I have like 2 shelves, that are not even shelves, I have to take some books and store them at my parents place.

    Donna,
    It is my kind of fun :) UF and funny PR. yup, I have found what I like.

    Staci
    Love love the cover, it made me wanna buy the book in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Simone,
    I hope you too is having a wonderful week.

    Hi Cecile :D
    Perhaps even the 2nd book, oh, you better have a look at that TBR pile ;)
    You sure have fun month before made out for all

    Dottie
    Same with me, it was cover lust at first sight, I do hope you will enjoy it!

    Carol
    I understand your fear, if you feel like that then perhaps find it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everybody is lovin' this series! I gotta get goin' and buy the books. They're on my wish list, promise.

    Thanks for the great review and recommendation!

    Hugs, VFG

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you noticed I'm catching up here? :) Yes, this sounds like a fun hilarious read - I'd love to get my hands on this baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. VFG
    You're welcome :D
    Funny PF, so for me

    Sassy
    Lol, yes I have noticed that by now ;=)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP