Tuesday 11 May 2010

Review: Changeless - Gail Carriger


 Changeless by Gail Carriger
The parasol protectorate, book 2

Genre: Historical, romance, steampunk, paranormal
Pages: 374
Published: 2010


Alexia Tarabotti, now Lady Maccon, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears -- leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.

But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her into the backwaters of ugly waistcoats, Scotland, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only a soulless can.

She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it. 

First oh oh oh, the end! But ok I will not start there, so re-wind.

Alexia is happily married with her husband, well as happy as those two can be, because they love to tease each other for sure. She is now quite fashionable, and people actually do speak about her. Not to mention that she is secretly the mujah in the city. But then the book starts with a bang, a missing husband, a city with no paranormals, well except those camped on her lawn, and Ivy with big news. Soon she puts her foot down and gets to the bottom of things.

I kept marking pages where I found good quotes and then I gave up cos good and funny quotes were just everywhere.

Everyone else was outraged, imagine the wife of an earl appearing at dinner with frizzy hair. Even in Scotland such things were simply not done.

This is one of the reasons why I love this book and series. The proper manners. I kept giggling everywhere when people gasped because someone mentioned shaving or things like that. These things are one of the highlights with this book.

Another reason is the witty language, that combined with my first love and the mix is just simply wonderful.

Of course I do love Alexia too, she is very logical, might be the soulless part, and she loves her manners too. Even if I think she was somewhat changed now. Must be the constant nudity she sees around werewolves ;) And Conall is still mmmmm, what a werewolf!

Lord Akeldama not to be forgotten, I have to love him. And he calls her the strangest things. I have fallen for Ivy, she was so much fun, and she has her romance in this book too. I wonder what happens in book 3? Carriger always has got some great side charcters.

Now where was I? The book is funny, giggles promised! The language is witty, the manners are excellent. The plot is interesting, I the reader do not know who to trust or what is going on. There is romance, and hot werewolves, with a sprinkle of some very proper vampires.

But then the big OMG! The ending, oh how it left me wanting more. I do confess that Carriger is very evil indeed, she made me wish I could invent a time-machine and go straight to September and buy book 3. I need book 3 this instance to find out what is gonna happen. I do warn you, it is somewhat of a cliffhanger and it will make you drool for book 3, Blameless.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Lovely.
Reason for reading: own copy.
Final thoughts: If you haven't noticed by now that I loved this book then you haven't been paying attention ;)



24 comments:

  1. Glad to see this one is great. I still haven't read the first, although it's sitting on the shelf screaming my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read the book 1 first! But I think I might need to buy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B,

    I'm glad you liked this installment. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review! I adored the first book, but this sounds even way better. I just orderd this one and the last one of the Darkest Powers series, so hopefully they wil be arriving in the next two weeks. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I think I will wait until after the third book is published before I read this one! I hate cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent review!Now I can't wait to read this one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing about the cliff hanger endings, will need to read book one first to get to book two though. I still have to order this one *heangs head in shame* I need to redeem myself LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one too - and yes, that cliffhanger - OMG!!!! I agree, there were so many good quotes and giggles throughout, even better than the first. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol
    Screaming you say, that poor little thing, you better take it down to read it soon.

    Chris
    Hm, Willis, I have seen one of her books at least at the library. But have not heard about that one, must have a look

    Vivienne
    You'll surely love it!

    Michelle
    I did indeed, want more :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nina
    Me too, adore is so the word. And I am happy to say that I adored this one too. The witty cracks me up very time. I hope you get them soon!

    Aarti
    Oh I am soooooooo bad with those, I can't even begin to tell you.

    Darlyn
    I am sure you'll love it too.

    Leontine,
    Well if you haven't read book 1 then there is no shame in not having ordered this one ;) But yes cliffhanger. I never read excerpts for the next book when they are at the back but this time I did

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie
    I was so OMG!!!! That I had to tell my bf all about it when he came home, of course he had no idea what I was talking about but I just had to get it out of me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great that you loved this one so much, hon!! I have recently bought the first book and I'm looking forward to reading it now.
    Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This review has made me think I need to get #1 again from the library but only this time i need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lord Akeldama..isn't he the BEST? And the ending...*bites nails*

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like something I'd like. Will have to check out the first in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sweetie,

    Interesting reviews! I just might have to get this one!

    I'm finding more time to read these days!

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Janna
    I am sure you will like it too, I mean it has a sexy alpha werewolf ;)

    Staci
    Yes you better go back and loot that library and bring the first jewel back.

    mandi
    I totally fancy him, even if he is gay lol. And the ending, the ending has me in knots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cat
    It is such a fun series, do see if they have it :D

    Hawk
    More time for reading is never wrong. I do recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have both these books and I'm so excited to read them! Espeically now after having read your great review, Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome review! This one looks great, I have the first one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. VFG
    I am sure you will like it, I mean it is so witty and aww I just love it

    Carrie
    I do recommend to bump it up in your TBR pile ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was one of my Friday Finds, and I'm still yet to read the first, so now - after reading this - I have got to get this series! (Great review!)

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sassy,
    RUN! Yes run to the bookstore ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP