Thursday 6 May 2010

Review: Tall, Dark and Wolfish - Lydia Dare

Tall, Dark and Wolfish by Lydia Dare
Westfield brothers, book 2

Genre: Paranormal romance historical
Pages: 384
Published: May 2010 Sourcebooks Casablanca

The reckless, rakish younger brother of a powerful duke, Lord Benjamin Westfield transforms into a wolf under the light of the full moon—until one fateful evening when he doesn't change and his life is shattered. Fearing he may never be able to change again, Benjamin sets out for Scotland in search of a witch who can heal his inner beast. The noble werewolf is drawn to the beautiful young woman, but what does he have to offer in this broken state?


I heard about Benjamin in book 1, all I knew that he was somewhere in Scotland and his family didn't know where or why. Well this is the explanation. First he is of course a Lycan like his brothers, second, he can't transform any more after an incident with a woman. From a friend he learns that perhaps a healer/witch in Scotland can help.

Benjamin is like his brother in that aspect that he is afraid to love and be loved. He wants to control the beast and perhaps that is the problem. He is rather torn and lost when he can't change any more, and the rake in him seems to drift away cos of his loss.

But where would we be without some romance. The old healer he is looking for is a beautiful young woman and he is not called a rake for nothing. But when is love ever easy. This woman has a bunch of friends who are very protective and need her to stay with them. Even if that means sending away someone she loves. Yes they aren't that clever now are they, but they meant well, and I had trouble disliking them. I would also protect a friend, and they thought it was for the best. And they were just fun, I'd love to see them find love. Now that could be a cool spin-off.

Lord Benjamin, well I do like a werewolves, they are just so manly and not afraid to show it. Elspeth was sweet, and she truly did not stand a chance when he showed up. Of course who could resist a werewolf.

This book had the romance, and the wolves do tend to become very carnal when the moon is full as he puts it. I liked that they wanted to be with each other, and how the other girls got in the way. he had to fight some for his love. And of course he was also very stupid cos of his Lycan state, but he has to learn too,

One thing that I just had to get used to was that ye this was Scotland, so there was the accent. Luckily I had read this other book and was up to speed what it all meant. But I am glad it wasn't more of it.

This book had me reading like crazy at the beginning, I wanted her to find out about him being what he was, I mean she had to heal him. And the rest of the book I wanted to know if the witches would get in the way, or if anyone would do something stupid (heroes and heroines always do something stupid ;).

All in all a good shifter story and I do think I liked this more than book 1, I guess we just have to see if I( like book 3 even more. Nice historical setting, sweet romance, and cool shifters.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Loving it, I am not just saying this cos I love the color green, but it is the green, and then her piercing green eyes and that castle ( and yes there was some man nipples too, but I honestly watched the castle.)
Reason for reading: From the publisher
Final thoughts: Who can say no to a werewolf. 3,5


17 comments:

  1. I've already bought this book and it's up next in my TBR - I can't wait, I really liked the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The werewolf aspect does sound very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking I should recognize that torso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti
    Already! Wow, I hope you like it as much you did the first one :D

    Vivienne
    They are just so so grrrrrr haha

    Staci
    That one sold it to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris
    Aha, perhaps it will be in one of my fav posts in the blogging world ;)just keep staring at it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of this series but now I want to know what happened that he can't transform any more. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the first book of this series in my TBR and from all the love going around, I can't wait to read it.

    Great review, girl. This one sounds like it drew you in from beginning to end. Verra nice. *wink*

    Love this cover too, btw. The green really pops.

    Hugs, VFG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review!! I love how he has stopped changing into a werewolf and he wants to get it back!! usually it's the other way around, the werewolf wants to stop changing. Thanks for the great review, I'm going to add this one to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good. Its been a long time since I read a werewolf book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice,
    Poor fellow is really heartbroken cos of it, but there is a reason...

    VFG
    I know right, it jumps out at me, if I could only have eyes like that.
    But yes I got really into it at the beginning, she kept the tempo up by not letting Elspeth learning about him being different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie
    True, it is usually like that. Here they just have to learn a lesson, control that beast, and what a beast.

    Yvonne,
    Nothing like a good were book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed B!

    I have Book 1 in the stacks waiting to be read. :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lea,
    I hope you like it, I mean I am huge were fan now :D Yay for men and buuu for those creepy vamps

    ReplyDelete
  14. What can resist a good werewolf romance?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds good and I like that its set in Scotland.
    Great review :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol
    Exactly! It is impossible ;)

    Naida,
    A werewolf in Scotland is never wrong, they fit there

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP