Monday 31 May 2010

Review: Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
The wolves of Mercy Falls, book 1

Genre: Paranormal YA
Pages: 392
Published: 2009


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. 


I never know with paranormal YA book, I either love them, hate or think they are ok. But this, it was better than ok., but not enough to love. The love only goes to dystopian books cos they are so freaky. But this was an excellent book. Honestly, best paranormal YA book I have read.

Then there was the translation question. That can break a book, make it childish or not capture the spirit. Considering I really liked this one then it must have been a good translation, and who knows perhaps I would have liked it even more in English.

This book is about Grace and Sam. Each chapter it about either one, and each chapter begins how warm or cold it is. Grace has watched the wolves ever since being rescued by one as a child. Sam has watched Grace since he was a child, or puppy. He saved her, and he longs to speak to her. But even if he is human in the summers he never gets the chance. So he watches from afar until one day when they meet, and fall in love. But a wolf and a human can not be. He only lasts for the summer.

I liked that it was from both POV's. I got to hear Sam's thoughts and Grace's. There was some flashbacks and soon the story become clearer.

But the best part I think was the way she created these wolves. In the summer when it's warm the can shift and become human, and when the winter and cold comes they stay as wolves. And there is nothing they can do about it, they cannot cheat it either. They must become wolves, wherever they are.

Young love, puppylove, haha, I had to. They really fall for each other but then perhaps they have always loved each other. He from afar, and she has loved the wolf. The romance is by no means easy, the cold is coming, and each time he walks out it is a struggle. The fall is just around the corner, and when the book end, well then I wonder, and realise that I do want to read more. I need to know if they somehow can be together because the is a bigger and darker question on the horizon, and there can be no HEA.

The wolves can be pretty brutal too, and in this book they are hunted because of an attack on a human. There is danger on both sides.

Great YA really, a good paranormal werewolf romance that leaves you a bit chilly. The cold is creeping into your bones while you read.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: The Swedish cover went for the English one, and it's nice,even if it took a while to see the wolf.
Reason for reading: Library book
Final thoughts: This is a paranormal series that I do can tell you to read.


20 comments:

  1. great YA that leaves you a bit chilly - I love your way of putting it. Just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review - I'm getting ready to read this one after I finish the book I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this one around and it sounds good. I like YA. I agree with the translation also. Some books just don't tranlate over well.
    Great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review B. :) I have this one on the tbr shelf.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya on the translation issues that can make or break a book. I never thought this was the case until I started to read in English and found I missed out on some humor, emotions or atmosphere :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one and can't wait to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brismus
    Thanks, perfect book for a cold day too.

    Patti
    I think you could enjoy this one, and oh I am such a werewolf streak here!

    Michelle
    Thanks! I hope you like it

    Naida,
    It's a shame really, but some translations, ugh, crap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leontine
    Same with me, I never thought about it, then I found English books and was blown away. I do go back to Swedish sometimes if I do not have a choice, but mostly I stay away.

    Vivienne
    I can't wait either :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this one too and we don't have long to wait for book #2!!! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I think I might try this one. I also like that you get to understand both characters point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci,
    Though I might just wait for the translation, and the library so I hope they hurry

    DC
    I did enjoy that, it just makes you feel so much closer to them

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to note the translation issue. I can see how that may change some of the spirti of the story. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review! I've been wondering what this book was about. I'll keep it in mind for when I'm in the mood for something paranormal.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jenny
    Sadly it does change some books, I guess some are really hard to translate

    Anna
    It was really lovely. I never know with YA but this one, it just had something

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this book.Can't wait for Linger in July.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaing8
    She is such a great writer

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really happy that you liked this one - I just got it out of the library so I'll be reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not a big fan of the paranormal genre but I read Shiver and liked it, surprisingly.

    Maggie Stiefvater writes beautifully, with a musical quality to her prose.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see you liked this one. I'll be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meghan
    I sure hope you will enjoy it :D

    Sumthinblue
    So true, there is something about her prose, and considering I read it in another language is must be excellent in the original.

    Darlene
    I am sure you will enjoy it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP