Thursday 27 September 2012

Review: Gunmetal Magic + Magic Gifts - Ilona Andrews


After being kicked out of the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea's whole existence is in shambles. She tries to put herself back together by working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend. When several shapeshifters working for Raphael Medrano--the male alpha of the Clan Bouda, and Andrea's former lover--die unexpectedly at a dig site, Andrea is assigned to investigate. Now she must work with Raphael as her search for the killer leads into the secret underbelly of supernatural Atlanta. And dealing with her feelings for him might have to take a back seat to saving the world... 

My thoughts:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. It was just not as good as later Kate books. It was more like the earlier ones and therefore it gets a grade like those.

Andrea was kick-ass, she has always been kick-ass. She has a horrible past, she is also something not that liked, beastkin. Yup her dad was actually an animal first. But she is just so Andrea, she fights, she wants to belong and I like her.

Raphael, oh what to say about him. Sleek, sexy, the favorite of the pack. Some of the things he did here just made me go all awwww, alpha ;) and other thing made me grind me teeth. They have issues to work through. But it was always been a dance between them.

The plot is that Pack members have been killed and it's up to her to find out who. I will say no more as it delivers a lot of different things into the mix.

Conclusion:
I liked it. It gave me what I wanted. And I am a sucker for the mate frenzy shifters go through, all the mine mine mine...But did I wish it was up to Kate standard? Of course.

Cover: Kick-ass

Series: Kate Daniels World #1, Kate Daniels #5,5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 326
Published: July 2012 by Ace
Source: Own

A dinner date after a hard day at work sounds heavenly. Of course, when that date is between the Beast Lord and Kate Daniels, things don’t go as planned. Before you know it, undead are running amok, heads are being chopped off, lawyers are deployed and used with extereme prejudice, and drunk vikings are calling people out.

This novella takes place around Andrea's book and it's about ..vikings, well that is one clue I can give. Andrews continues to come up with new things and as a novella this story worked well.

So my final word is that I liked it :D Kate and Curran was good, the ending leaves things open for Andrea's book and I can't wait.

Series: Kate Daniels #5,4
Pages: 100
Published: 2011



51 comments:

  1. Kate Daniels books just gets better and better but the earlier books weren't bad either. And I've always liked Andrea and Raphael :D

    Where did you get Magic Gifts? And why is this the first time I'm hearing about it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a freebie at xmas ;)
      But Magic Gifts are included in this book

      Delete
  2. I didn't enjoy Gunmetal Magic either. It was good but not that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me sad :( Still yay for reading it, cos I had to

      Delete
  3. Awwww. I love when alphas are in the mine-stage too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Def book 1 of the Kate series, though she does not like that book herself. But still must start with that one. They get better and better

      Delete
  5. To be fair it would always be difficult to match the later Kate Daniels book - they rock! Still I'm glad the books was still enjoyable...I'm hoping to start my copy soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Andrea book, well I love everything about Kate Daniels. You're right it's not as good as the other series but still I think it was amazing and would love to have more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ARGH! You have just reminded me I need to get this WHOLE series!! Looks like you added 2 more to my want, even if this one isn't up to standard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate Daniels is an author that is on my must read list for 2013. I can't wait to meet an ass kicking heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have not read her?!?! Oh what are you waiting for?! ;)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed Gunmetal Magic but I didn't love it.

    Andrea has so many issues and it seemed that we were really going to get into all that but that aspect kind of tapered off which bummed me out.

    I still love her and Raphael and maybe they'll be more books for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to think of all those issues and it just, well it did not really get dealt with. Cos after all that...but at least she got her man

      Delete
  10. I'm not familiar with this but I know in other series its not unusual to have a weak book in an otherwise great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, this is not in a way part of the series, it's a spin-off

      Delete
  11. Oh I'm happy Andrea got her book, she has really come a long way since the beginning. :) I look forward to reading both of these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the cover of the novella. sounds like you still enjoyed it even though it wasn't up to par.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound good and I do love the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I need to read this series! It has been recommended over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea and Raphael cracked me up. That trick she pulled with his apartment was insane, I couldn't stop laughing! :) Anyway, everything that Ilona and Gordon write is bound to be good :) I love them! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got a couple of books in her Kate series, hope they're good. Wanting another urban fantasy series that blows me away but haven't found anything that tops Cat and Bones lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is not awesome, still good though, but stick with them cos they improve a lot

      Delete
  17. I liked both stories because they were Kate Daniels and I am a die-hard fan. But, yeah, I wished they were up to more Kate standard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup still good, but not Kate standard in the end

      Delete
  18. *nods head in agreement* I had a lot of trouble with Gunmetal Magic, but boy did I love Raphael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is..oh dang, you can't help but to love him

      Delete
  19. These sound good, I have heard about this author before, maybe I'll read her one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked both of these stories. No, scratch that. I LOVED both of these stories. I'm glad you at least liked them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved Andrea's book, and especially what she did to his house! I wanted pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to read the Kate books big time. I love the covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't really like it when a series that I enjoy suddenly veers off to follow one of the side characters. So even though I liked Andrea I haven't really felt too enthusiastic about reading a book about her, and I'm not sure if a short story about Kate and Curran would make me feel that much better. So I'm still undecided about reading this book, but I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it enough but yes I did not like that it happened. And the Kate story, well that was a xmas pressie to the fans, to tide us over :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP