Thursday 13 September 2012

Review: Riveted - Meljean Brook


A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland’s inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend. Fishermen tell tales of giant trolls guarding the land and of seductive witches who steal men’s hearts. But the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magic—and the mystery of the island a matter of life and death for a community of women who once spilled noble blood to secure their freedom.

Five years ago, Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister Källa took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on the airship Phatéon, flying from port to port in search of her sister and longing to return home . . . but that home is threatened when expedition leader David Kentewess comes aboard.

Determined to solve the mystery of his own origin, David will stop at nothing to expose Annika’s secrets. But when disaster strikes, leaving David and Annika stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman, their very survival depends on keeping the heat rising between them—and generating lots of steam . . 

My thoughts:
Iron Sharks, Airships and scary trolls. I do love steampunk and the world is just so fascinating, things that could have happened (even if not likely ;). I did miss the zombies though, I never thought I would say that but they do give a nice chase.

This book works fine on it's own, we do not see the previous characters around but if you want to know more about the Horde, the tower, zombies, then you really must start with book 1.

Annika is a mysterious woman who does not talk about her past. She hails from Iceland, the land of trolls and witches...or what is really going on? Annika was hard to get to know, but that was the idea, as she kept her secrets close. We knew them, but she would not let anyone else know. So it was not easy at times to get to know her, and therefore like her.

The hero, David is from the new world, and would by some not be called pretty exactly as he has legs of iron, fake eye and scars. But such a  nice and sweet guy. Love him.

There is adventure as bad things are coming. David are off to explore volcanoes, Annika has secrets to guard. Friendship is growing, passion is slowly emerging. And when it finally does come around, then it's hot and fast.

Conclusion:
I did feel a bit sad that there was no Mina or Rhys, but I can live with that. And I do hope that there will be more from this fascinating world.

Cover:
Love it! Though I'd want more color on her clothes as she loves and wears that.

Series: The Iron Seas #3
Genre: Steampunk romance
Pages: 416
Published: September 4th 2012 by Berkley Trade
Source: Won


52 comments:

  1. I like the cover too. Like, not loving it. It would have been love if the guy was a bit...I don't know..different. lol. ;) More manly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, but he is not that alpha when it comes down to it. He is more the beta hero, so the look kind of fits him :)

      Delete
  2. She's going to get chilly wearing that outfit if she's stranded on a glacier. *g* I need to read one of these Steampunk-ish books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You know they were on an airship and she does work in the engine room ;)

      Delete
  3. I really should give Steampunk a chance. :/ I've heard countless amounts of compliments towards this genre.

    B, what would be a good book to start out with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 1 in this series is awesome!!! :D The Iron Duke. Oh and I love Gail Carriger's Soulless

      Delete
    2. Mhmmmmm, I should check it out if it is available at my library.

      Delete
  4. I really should give steampunk another chance but sometimes the gadgets are to distracting :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to read Heart of Steel and then leap on this book! I adored the world and steampunk is such a cool world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too :) And I love when an author really explore the world

      Delete
  6. I just got this first book to read since everyone loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, loved you review, girl! Zombies do give a nice chase! :) By the way, I'll be buying UK version of Riveted. I actually love how they've done the whole series, although there is no dude on Riveted cover :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no guy *sad face* Still I love the UK cover too. And I think i preferred the UK covers for 1 and 2

      Delete
  8. I love the cover! Dang i love Steampunk but haven't read this series, and you mentioned zombies and chasing and steampunk and now I have to read these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes you do need to read this series...zombiiiiies, all I am saying

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy good Steampunk too. Great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started this series in audio, but it did not capture me. But I am going to try it again.

    I do love steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was the audio, I know that some narrators just do not work for me

      Delete
  11. The cover is cool and kick ass! Trolls but no zombies, I can live with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, trolls can be good to have around for fun

      Delete
  12. I still haven't read the first! I'm so sad!! I know you loved the first and so I've had it on my wishlist since you first had that review. It looks like I need this one and the second one as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still have not read it?! *utter shock* I am just speechless ;)

      Delete
  13. I'm undecided about getting this book. I loved The Iron Duke but couldn't stand the sequel ( I think I quit after two chapters) so I can't decide if it's worth giving this book a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then i fear this one is not for you either. I loved the Iron duke too, the 2nd was not as good, and neither was this one

      Delete
  14. Oh since reading the novellas I need to start the books. :) I do love this cover though. Thank you, and sorry you miss the zombies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there is zombies in book 1 so enjoy ;)

      Delete
  15. I haven't read this series yet. The cover of the first book never really captured my attention. Maybe I'll have to go back and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was..well nothing else than mantitty really

      Delete
  16. it's always different to not have the characters we like. It's another series I need to start, it's even released in French. I hope it will be soon, I'm curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh even in french :D But then you always get the best ones while we get nothing. Therefore making me give up on my own language long ago ;)

      Delete
    2. I understand, but I prefer these covers. Maybe it will come to you as well. But it's always better to read them in English.

      Delete
    3. Nah, they will never come. They rarely translate books like this one

      Delete
  17. i need to start these. gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhh! I need to get caught up on this series! I read the first book and LOVED Mina and Rhys, so I need to get moving on this one and the one before it:) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Mina and Rhys, they were just pure awesomesauce

      Delete
  19. Hmmm... No zombies will probably make me like this better than the other books - and I liked those even though I'm not usually really into steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Ok so I hate zombies, they freak me out. Even though there were no around here, I still had a nightmare ;)

      Delete
  20. I've read the prequel novella for this series and I have the first book but I need to get to it.
    I love the cover for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have book 1 then I can only say that you must read it

      Delete
  21. I also missed Mina and Rhys, but still really liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, sad :/ But then their story was already told

      Delete
  22. I've only read a couple of steampunk novels, wasn't sure I'd like the genre but it's growing on me lol. Will keep this series in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jumped in feet first and ended up enjoying it :)

      Delete
  23. I like steampunk but I've read few. I'm going to add this series to my list. My ever-growing list :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP