Thursday 20 September 2012

Review: When you Give a Duke a Diamond - Shana Galen


He had a perfectly orderly life...
William, the sixth Duke of Pelham, enjoys his punctual, securely structured life. Orderly and predictable—that's the way he likes it. But he's in the public eye, and the scandal sheets will make up anything to sell papers. When the gossip papers link him to Juliette, one of the most beautiful and celebrated courtesans in London, chaos doesn't begin to describe what happens next...

Until she came along...
Juliette is nicknamed the Duchess of Dalliance and has the cream of the nobility at her beck and call. It's disruptive to have the duke who is the biggest catch on the Marriage Mart scaring her other suitors away. Then she discovers William's darkest secret and decides what he needs in his life is the kind of excitement only she can provide...

My thoughts:
Sometimes I think too much when reading historical romance (while still really enjoying the book of course). And yes of course I thought about things here. A duke and a courtesan? Oh no! The ton would be horrified, their future children would suffer from it. And sure there was that point when I was all and she is a courtesan cos? But this is historical romance, this is meant to make you smile and feel happy and that is does do just that.

William is, oh how to describe him, he has a stick up his ass. He is everything a Duke should be and he lives his life according to rules that he has set before himself. And goals, one of those is to find a nice lady and breed a kid of two. But he is lovable, because you know he has some issues, and even in his dumb moments he is nice..underneath. Even if I wanted to smack him over the head once or twice. Courtesans are people too!

Juliette on the other hand lives life to the fullest, the nicest dresses, the best parties, the best the town has to offer when it all comes down to it. She is free and she loves it. And I liked her, she was so free and happy, most of the time.

As you can see these two are totally wrong for each other. Personality wise and station in life. But like a moth to a flame he is drawn to her and she is drawn to him and it can only end in disaster. Poor Juliette :/

There is also danger and adventure. I shall not tell you about what but something is going on.....

Conclusion:
A good historical romance with a very unlikely couple. And those are the best to watch fall in love.

Cover
Cute

Series: Jewels of the ton #1
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 356
Published: Sep 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review


36 comments:

  1. When you give a duke a diamond you should have at least three more in your pocket. :) A book which would make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes keep all the diamonds to yourself

      And I am glad that the wrong word was not in the title ;)

      Delete
  2. btw one of your tags is a bit strange: "when you give a DIKE a diamond" ???? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. ..are you said cos dukes gets diamond while we get nothing? I want diamonds too, then I'd sell them and buy books

      Delete
    2. LOL! No, it's just been a crazy, crazy week. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh..just me then ;)

      Aha, crazy week, well almost Friday now..almost!

      Delete
  4. Oh really love the dress on the cover! LOL I love your thought during the read. you're right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think too much, and then I relax and enjoy it :)

      Want that dress!

      Delete
  5. Sweet review, I love how you describe that characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stick up his ass? ROFL!

    This sounds like historical romance fun. Although not as fun as this review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, well thank you :=) I am glad you were entertained.

      Delete
  7. I'm reading this now, you are right, they are very cute together so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe, just maybe, one of these days you'll get me to read a historical romance story. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You gotta love a duke with a stick up his ass, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I've not read one historical romance with a courtesan as the heroine. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude I tend to overthink things too when I'm reading. This couple would never be, but it is a HR and everyone gets their HEA no matter how unlikely it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup never ever! But then it is HR and if we could get no happy endings there, well then I would scream

      Delete
  12. Great review, I would love to read this one for the cover alone, which is so pretty! But it does sound like fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sighs, I wish we could wear dresses like that all the time

      Delete
  13. yep sometimes it's best not to think too much, just enjoy the escapism :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like good historical romance to me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought this one sounded cute and would be a fun read in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one does sound fun and although I'm not much for romance other than in a comedy this one sounds amusing enough that it could change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like romantic comedies :) And well romance everywhere in the end

      Delete
  17. A lovely cover and an unlikely couple falling in love! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm seeing more and more historical romance with the female as a courtesan. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP