Saturday 8 December 2012

Lady Scoundrels' Saturday: The Raven Prince - Elizabeth Hoyt



Today is the last part of Lady Scoundrels review: The Raven Prince. Next week we will be back with a new book. Stay tuned for that.


And today it's my turn, Sensitivity *coughs*

I was unsure about the grade but I am just gonna go all bitchy on this book. Truth be told, I sat there reading and nitpicking and never truly connected. Did it make me want to read more by this author...no. Would it make me pick up more books by her if I found them at the library, no, and that really means it should get a 2. Which is still of course an ok grade. Cos it was not all bad.

So many things irritated me with this book. The first time Anna sees and hears Edward she thinks of one thing..is that how his voice sounds when making love? Honestly? Wtf, someone needs to get laid and fast. I doubt a prim 18th century widow would think that.

Then she becomes his secretary, again, wtf is this? She is a woman! Then she dines and rides with him. Oh girl, do not talk about that your reputation might take a hit, everyone, I mean everyone would already think you are his mistress. And if they are not then something is seriously wrong with that village.

The sexual tension continues *yawns*. She is also not repulsed by his scars cos he is pretty on the inside or whatever. Really? I found him to be quite the ass in the beginning. Also how they sparred at once. No no, that is not proper etiquette. You are obviously a loose woman. Why he keeps thinking of you are a virtuous saint I do not know.

To the brothels! Yes she finds a note and begins to think why men gets to smex around but women don't. Hello, because that is the era you live in. Do not go all modern on me or I will kick your ass. Anyway, what does our prim heroine do, yes she talks to a whore for 2 minutes and decides to go to a brothel and have sex with Edward. What? When did this happen? I am totally lost by this plot. WHY on earth would you do that? Just lift your skirts to him in the library and have at it. Yes he would not think you all prim and proper afterwards but at least you would get laid. Pretending to be someone else behind a mask at a brothel is something that does not go through my head. You also put yourself up to be raped by strangers, sold, killed, where is your head?

Of course he later finds out, duh, so we could totally have been spared the stupid brothel story, oh and I must also mention that he has a magic penis. A very magical penis that cures every womb.

Let's see, anything else I can snark at....I actually liked that she took pity on the prostitute, that I liked.

Oh the villains. Do not even get me started, another stupid plot that made no sense. Someone making a big deal of nothing. I could have been spared that too, it was just embarrassing and I wanted to hide behind my book.

Last, I am sure all these things could have been forgiven one way or another but at the end I realized that I suffered through the book and never connected. Why would I connect to the prim widow who just thinks about sex. Or the earl who goes on and on about how ugly he is and lusts after his secretary. An easy way to fix that, try to seduce her, if that fails, pay her off. I did not feel the chemistry, I did not get why she liked him, or he her, as she was so plain and that he says a lot. But hey she was outspoken, he must like a challenge.

I fear that yes I like HR, but HR does not like me back. I keep trying and I am sure everyone thinks I love HR to pieces, but I don't. It seldom impresses me. I enjoy it, it's a good genre, good escapism in it's silliness. But great, no, not that often. Really seldom really.

Would I recommend it..no not really.

Cover Snark:
So that is the ugly guy..yeah, sorry can't see it. Then I do prefer this other cover:



20 comments:

  1. I confess I always have a problem when from the start the two heroes want to be together without knowing each other. It's so much better when they get to learn each other all along the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that scenario so much more, insta love seldom works for me, and when it does they still get to know each other. Here it was just lust

      Delete
  2. Eep,so sorry this one left you annoyed and frustrated. When it doesn't feel believable all else is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review...its too bad this one disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Anna's character sounds unrealistic for the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honest reviews are always the best kind! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love you for this review! I was exactly how I was feeling with this book. Please, please read a Suzanne Enoch book, or a Sabrina Jeffries one next. They have to be better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you felt like this too :D Good news for me, cos I am loosing faith in HR lately

      Delete
  7. Look how our Sensibility can show her claws! You would think B is all sweetness and light and here you go, a surprise! ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am wicked underneath by sugar and fluff ;)

      Delete
  8. I agree with you about the guy on the front - but I love the colour of her dress! I love purple! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer the 2nd cover too!

    Also steering clear ---life is to short for books that don't clique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of guessed it from the start, not my kind of premise

      Delete
  10. I'm really loving this snarky feature! So much fun to read it! *I need popcorn*

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP