Sunday 30 December 2012

Review: The Girl who chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen


Emily Benedict has come to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, not only wishing to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth but also dreaming of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

My thoughts:
 I have only read one book by her before but it was lovely, and this one was just as lovely. I could just say "it was wonderful, everyone should read it" and leave it at that. But I will try to say more.

The magical realism makes this book and it feels so real. Yes I do believe that the things happen could happen. In a Southern small town, with quirks of its own.

The book is about two people, Emily who comes to live with her grandfather and tries to solve the mystery why her mother left. She finds friendship, not so nice people and magic in this town. And herself.

The other main character is Julia, Emily's neighbor. She bakes with the windows open, why, well you will find out. Her story is sad, but there is hope and she becomes friends with Emily. Two different people in age and situation.

There is also a dash of romance, and that is never wrong.

Conclusion:
What more can I say? Allen knows how to write, I got sucked into the story and did not want to leave. A wonderful tale.

Cover:
Meh

Genre: Magical realism / fiction
Pages: 261
Published: 2011 by Hodder and Stoughton
Source: Own

36 comments:

  1. SAA is one of my favorite authors so I'm glad you enjoyed this. It has a different cover than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her books, they are so magical and leave you with such a lovely feeling! I really need to pick up The Peach Keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Peach yet, but I sure want to :D Still I will wait a bit so I have something to look forward too

      Delete
  3. I enjoy magical realism and the small town setting sounds fantastic. I need to read this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read her books! They are simply wonderful :D And just right

      Delete
  4. Allen is one of my favorite authors and I think this book is my favorite of hers. I am so glad that you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely :D The way she writes and the things that happen. Love it

      Delete
  5. this review sounds as lovely as this book. Thanks B :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I'm going to add it to my wish list. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this cover is not so great for me either, i have seen better versions of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so boring, but I do not buy books for the covers..I buy the cheapest version ;)

      Delete
  8. I haven't tried this author yet, but I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am digging that cover.
    I really am loving the description of this book. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really must read it, such a lovely tale and magical to the bone

      Delete
  10. I agree with you that the cover so not pings my buying radar but by your review this book sounds like my kind of read... gotta go and nosey more about this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go be nosey cos this author is wonderful :D
      But my cover is pretty meh

      Delete
  11. It sounds nice, it's a cute cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I does sounds cute and nice - I think I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like the hummingbird on the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this cover. So beautiful. lovely.
    I like the idea of this novel, too. How come I never heard of this before? I am so adding this to my TBR
    Thanks for the awesome review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I read it now then so that you could see it. And hopefully read one of her books too, as like I said, they are lovely

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. I have not read that one, but I sure wanna

      Delete
  16. This is one of those authors that I hear so many good things about but still haven't tried for myself. I hope that 2013 is the year I give one of her books a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too :) I also hope it's the year I read her other two books, and her new book that is coming out this year ;)

      Delete
  17. I loved this one too. She has a gift that is for sure!! Read all of her books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two more that I need to read :D I just need to get them first

      Delete
  18. I loved this book and I love Allen. You are right she has a way of making it seem and feel so real.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP