Friday 26 May 2017

Friday Movie Night: Suite Française

Movie time :)

During the early years of Nazi occupation of France in World War II, romance blooms between Lucile Angellier (Michelle Williams), a French villager, and Bruno von Falk (Matthias Schoenaerts), a German soldier.

Director: Saul Dibb
Writers: Saul Dibb (screenplay), Matt Charman (screenplay) | 
Irène Némirovsky ... (based on the novel by)

Stars: Michelle Williams, Kristin Scott Thomas, Margot Robbie

My thoughts:
Now how to write a movie review, see, this is why we have discussions. Those work so well for me.

I liked that it was sort of silent, I am so bad with words today. There was just this calm over it. A scared calm, the war has slowly come, now it is there, but the true horror does not really show at once.

The acting was good, though to be honest, Williams did not really impress at times. I got that she was timid, but still, for me she was not the best one for the role. But she did grow into it,

There is a lovestory, but it is not a lovestory. They never say words of love, they slowly move towards each other even though it is wrong. But you feel it, they want to love, even if it would be more tragic for her.

And yes there is a war going on. We are not at the front, we are in a sleepy village, where people spread gossip about each other, turn on each other, and also help each other.

A good sleepy movie that had me scared I would cry ( I did not ;)



38 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a film of this book - I read it years ago. I'll look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to go for the not always big ones

      Delete
  2. You're watching a lot of sad movies lately lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a theme in Feb March it seems

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this movie before and I'm a fan of MWilliams! She's amazing IMHO and I love period movies like this too! Thanks for the feature

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you enjoyed the quiet, subdued quality of the movie. Too bad Michelle Williams performance wasn't that impressive. Yay for movie night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luci is so cute.

    Glad to her you liked it. I hadn't heard of it before now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember this movie. It sounds good. I am glad you didn't cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to find the not so big ones- They need love too

      Delete
  7. I don't think I remember seeing anything about this movie. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so good. I love the trailer. You make me want to watch this movie. It's been a while since the last time I watched a movie. Anyway, awesome movie review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL on it making you scared you would cry. I probably would.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did well! But I agree...discussions for movies are easier to do. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to look for this movie. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, love stories set during WWII always pull on my heartstrings!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually like Kristin Scott Thomas, and this does sound good. I haven't heard of it! Margot Robbie too (who I'd never seen in a movie until recently) I just saw in Suicide Squad and Tarzan...

    I like the sound of the sleepy village setting too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth seeing. It makes you think too

      Delete
  14. I am sooo impatient when facing slow movies, especially those romantic ones...Luci looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i heard about this one but I haven't tried it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, this sounds really good and so romantic considering the settings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. War and tragic love story, sounds like my kind of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a good movie. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP