Thursday 14 December 2017

Audio Review: On the Jellicoe Road

Taylor Markham is now a senior at the Jellicoe School, and has been made leader of the boarders. She is responsible for keeping the upper hand in the territory wars with the townies, and the cadets who camp on the edge of the school's property over summer. She has to keep her students safe and the territories enforced and to deal with Jonah Griggs – the leader of the cadets and someone she'd rather forget. But what she needs to do, more than anything, is unravel the mystery of her past and find her mother – who abandoned her on the Jellicoe Road six years before. The only connection to her past, Hannah, the woman who found her, has now disappeared, too, and the only clue Taylor has about Hannah and her mother's past is a partially written manuscript about a group of five kids from the Jellicoe School, twenty years ago. 

Audiobook, 8 pages
Published May 14th 2010 by Bolinda Audio (first published 2006)
YA fiction
From Sync (love you audiosync!)

My thoughts:
I am feeling meh today, not in a review writing mood.

The start was rocky. It started with this accident. Then we were with Taylor at her school and I kept wondering why it kept jumping back and forth? Then it was explained that she was reading something. Yeah...messy.

So a slow start and it took me some time to get through this audio. It was not that compelling. Kids warring with Cadets and Townies.

Oh and Taylor was messed up! This teen needed family and a hug. And those who could have given her that, grrrr, wtf was wrong with you? Nope Hannah, I would not forgive you! Sure we get explanations at the end but still! Taylor just wanted to know why she was all alone and where her mum was.

But close to the end it did get interesting. I did want to know why Hannah was writing about those kids and where she was and how it all was connected. And I wanted Taylor to find some truth in her life.

Conclusion:
I even started crying at one point. And it was a good book all the way through, it just made me angry at the adults and I think reading it would have made the messy start better

Narrator Rebecca Macauley
I did like her accent, since hey AU book gotta have it right. So nothing wrong with her narration

Cover
meh

34 comments:

  1. I can forgive an off beginning if the ending is great so I might like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the narration was good. Poor Hannah no hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry that this didnt work for you ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still a good book, just one with flaws

      Delete
  4. Glad it worked out that you liked it, I know sometimes slow starts suck and with an audio you can't like turn back a few pages and go, Oh Yeah now I see it. To me it sounds like non stop angst which is why I'm not a big fan of YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say that, angst in YA I think of romance and triangles. Here it was more a troubled teen

      Delete
  5. This is so many readers favorite book ever so I went in with really high expectations but I couldn't get into it or connect to anyone at all :-(

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer Finding Francesca. And her Finnikin book was such a dud

      Delete
  6. It looks interesting and touching there. I didn't know about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to stay away from books that'll make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I should try to read this one. Everyone seems to enjoy it. Glad you got past the rough start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too don't much care for sad books. I feel enough of that in the actual reality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have mixed feelings about books that make me cry. On the one hand, it's never fun to cry, but on the other, it's a sign of good writing if an author can make me feel such intense emotions - whether they be positive or negative!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. There are some books that I really sad, but I do not cry. It takes more than just being sad

      Delete
  11. I have the audio to this as well, but I read the book a long time ago and loved it. I do admit it takes some patience to connect the dots and I think it might be harder to do that with an audio book. I should re-read and see what I think of the story today. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt too messy in audio since I never saw the jumps

      Delete
  12. Ah yes as a newish mother that would all be heart wrenching, your review made me want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some books are definitely better as print. Glad you were able to finally get into the story. And tears... must have been really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mhmmmm maybe not for me. But the narrator sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate when there's a character in a book that just needs some support and no one is there for him/her.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to shake them all! This kid needs support. The only ones really there were the other kids

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP