Saturday 16 December 2017

Movie Review: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.

Director: Luc Besson
Writers: Pierre Christin (based on the comic book series "Valerian and Laureline" by), Jean-Claude Mézières (based on the comic book series "Valerian and Laureline" )
Stars: Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen 

2h 17min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy 



My thoughts:
I read the book, and that made me want to watch the movie. I did not have high hopes cos sci-fi is tricky. It can be bad silly, it can be too tech, it can be too dull. But this was amusing.

Though Valerian was as much as a d*ck as in the books. I just do not like that guy. First he was all hopeless, but then he was like super agent. Whatever Valerian, you are a d*ck. It just felt a bit too much you know, especially in these times. He was all Laureline wink wink. Did not like the actor either.

But Delevingne was good, and saved the day.

Rihanna can not act, tragic. Totes ruined her part.

Action, aliens, a few jokes. I enjoyed it.

Oh and cried. Damn! Oh these hormones!

So sure, you can watch it. It was amusing.



20 comments:

  1. I will agree that Sci fi is very tricky and since I grew up with Star Trek and Star Wars, most other sci fi stories and movies fall a bit short for me because too many times they are way too cheesy or not done with good enough quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! When you are used to that then everything else fails to compare

      Delete
  2. I guess sometimes it's good to go in with low expectations! I confess, I didn't expect much from this either, but I'm glad to hear it was fun!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to watch the movie if I have already read the book. I am not sure that this would be a movie for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this at the theater. Didn't like Valerian either but I did like Delavinge, so I totally agree. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my to watch list. I'll have to move it up. Thanks for the warning about the Valerian character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She can't act and I can't stand her brows. X_X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard many great things about Valerian but I think I'll try one day

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're crying a lot lately! lol

    I'm not a huge sci-fi fan so I don't really ever have expectations going in but this does look kind of silly yet fun. I meant to see it when it came out but didn't have time.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's like when I was pregnant! I blame those dang hormones still floating around

      Delete
  9. I didn't read the book, and the trailer made this look so much like The Fifth Element (same director maybe?) Maybe I'll check it out now that it's on dvd.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP