Saturday 20 January 2018

Carole's Saturday Movie: The Last Jedi


Film Title: Star Wars - The Last Jedi
Length: 2 h 32 min
Released: 2017
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci.fi
Rating: PG-13
Where I Got It: Watched at the theater



SUMMARY:

Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

TRAILER:




Review:

Let me get out of the way and say this first….I am not a huge Star Wars fan. Not at all. I actually found the majority of the old movies boring. This is the first Star Wars film I watched from beginning until end. All the rest I have watched pieces here and there. Normally I would walk into the room with a friend or family member watching and I would watch from wherever they were until the end. So yes, not a huge fan here…so take that into mind before reading my review. 


I really, really liked this film. This wasn’t a cut-and-paste of one of the past movies and that made me happy. I know a lot of people worried and they kept their word. Sure there were a couple similar parts scattered throughout the movie. But it felt fresh overall. 



This was for sure lighter in a lot of ways compared to a lot of the past movies. However, there were some dark moments that kept it from being light and fun. There was a nice balance between light and fun and dark and serious. I also really enjoyed the little jokes throughout the movie. They made me smile and chuckle. Heck…even serious, sad Luke got a couple good moments. 



The biggest joy I found in the movie was Kylo Ren. I know I am getting a lot of “huhs” right now…but I enjoyed this character. I didn’t like him in the movie before this, but after learning about him some more…I realized he is one complex character. I felt he was very 2D in the last film, but this one the writers really did some magic and now he is one of the most complex characters I have seen in a while. The internal conflict he is having is tearing him apart. I loved it. Well…I feel bad and I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly want him to come back to good side, but I enjoyed seeing him on screen battle himself, his enemies, and his feelings. Very good. On a shallower note…I think he is hot ;) 



Finn was better...Rose was a hoot and a nice edition...Rey is just Rey (a certain character is in lurve with her it makes me a hair jelly)....Holdo was annoying at first, but she turned into a badass at the end...Poe was cute and funny...Leia seems deflated and tired...Luke was annoying until the end...and the rest of the cast was just there. I did enjoy Kylo's commander because I feel like he is going to be a problem for Kylo later on. A character potential. 



The little creatures were cute. I liked the little puffin-seal things. I want one to stick by Chewie’s side. I know some people thought it was too much, but I adored all the cuteness. More darkness is always nice, but I felt there was a good balance in this one. I fear the next movie is going to get REALLY, REALLY dark so I will take this cuteness while I can. But yes...a little more blood is always good for the soul. 



There were some scenes and parts that made me sigh and roll my eyes. I can’t say WHAT precisely without giving out some spoilers. But some parts were indeed cheesy and not realistic. People will defend those parts, “BUT THE FORCE!” >_> meh is my reply to that.

I also hated the ending. Sure…I get what they did, but NO. Not cool. Well…it was cool, but the result was NOT OKAY! 


In the end, I am actually curious to watch the next film. I wouldn’t mind going to the theater to watch it again. Maybe this was the film to turn me into a super fan. Well…maybe not…I have no plans on rewatching past movies willingly. Haha. I shall give this…mhmmmm….4 stars. 







15 comments:

  1. My best friend keeps telling me I should watch the Star Wars movies..I'm just not that interested in them. I do love the movie posters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the first couple of movies but then I gave up on the franchise. My husband and son love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the most positive review I've read for this movie yet. Now I'm afraid for that ending! I'm glad Kylo got more depth though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big star wars fan, and even though I found this movie entertaining I haven't really enjoyed the plot that much. And yeah I don't know how I feel about the ending. But I diagree about Kylo....don't care for him although he makes a good villain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I both liked and disliked this installment. I am a big fan of the original three and the three prequels, I think the rest have been unnecessary, although of course, I still watch them just to see what is going on lol. I have to. I don't like Kylo Ren but I like Rey's character. Not a fan of what happened with Luke at the end. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big SW's fan either but I am enjoying these newer ones. Haven't seen this yet though.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the first 3 movies but can't seem to enjoy any of the newer stuff. I actually quit trying to watch them. I have seen some not so good reviews for this one so I am happy to see that you enjoyed it. I may try to catch it on video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen it yet but I definitely plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I have been since I was a kid. I was really disappointed in The Force Awakens because it was too much like A New Hope. I loved Rogue One. I enjoyed this one. I agree that it is much lighter (thank you Carrie Fisher, I know she added some humor into the story). I agree with eyeroll moments. I have to disagree with Kylo. I thought he was a whiny little brat. He has reason to hate Luke, but I still think he has a lot of issues. I loved Rose too. I thought the creatures were cute. I like the crystal fox things.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big Star Wars fan but I loved the first 3 movies from the 70s and 80s best. I'm not looking forward to this ending. I've heard. :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't a fan of this one but I know most people seem to have liked it, and that's awesome. I liked the Porgs too, they cracked me up! And Holdo grew on me as well, nice seeing Laura dern in the Star Wars universe. The ending though... yeah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone. :) Maybe someday I can call myself a Star Wars fan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think I'm a Star Wars fan, but really I only like the original three and this one.
    My daughter's a Kylo Ren fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't mean to say I liked this one, I was afraid to watch it. I liked The Force Awakens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! As a fan of the original series, I can agree with your take on this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP