Sunday 21 January 2018

Carole's Sunday Post: The Lion of the South - Jessica James


Author: Jessica James

Title: The Lion of the South
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: ebook
Will Be Published: April 2018
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

One woman holds the fate of the country in her hands.
Can she let her brother to die so the Confederacy might live?


As the Civil War grinds into its second year, an audacious and mysterious figure known only as the Lion of the South emerges from the shadows to rekindle the Confederacy's spirit of defiance.



Julia Dandridge returns to the Virginia home where she was raised, only to discover that the war has changed everything—and everyone—once dear to her.



With no one to turn to and nowhere to run, Julia is caught in a tangled web of secrets and deception. The only way to save her beloved brother from the hangman's noose is to unmask the Lion. But who is he?



When she finally discovers the enigmatic hero's true identity, Julia sets off on a desperate journey to stop the vengeful plot she unknowingly helped set in motion. But time is running out. The elusive Lion is walking straight into the Yankees' trap.



Despite the danger, Julia is determined to save the two men whose lives hang in the balance—and redeem herself from the deadly mistake she has made.








Not sure where to begin really…mmmmmm



Well…let me start off with how much I adored this book! It reminded me so much of an old favorite of mine The Scarlet Pimpernel. That book started my love of spies in my history books. Can’t help but love a charming spy now.



Instead of being set during the Reign of Terror, this one is set to America’s own reign of terror known as the Civil War. The story follows Julia and Landon who were childhood friends separated by an evil mother. Things happen and years go by. The two are brought together again, but things are different. 



Landon is home from the war and is depressed because he blames himself for his brother’s death. Julia is no longer the tomboy Landon remembers. She is now a sophisticated Northern lady. Ooo Sallie, I get you wanted to bring Julia to stay with you guys, but….it is a little sensitive having “enemies” together. Landon fought against the North and bringing a Northerner into the house? Mhmmm. Not your best idea dearie.



I felt bad for Landon. He is so depressed.



I felt bad for Julia especially learning something (will not spoil it), but I was proud of her in the end after learning the full truth.



Sallie was a silly girl, but I did like her. 



The baddie was certainly a baddie. He made my skin-crawl. 



This was a fun adventure and there is some romance, but like The Scarlet Pimpernel, it does take FOREVER for the two to get over their differences and find love again. I’m glad the romance aspect didn’t take over the plot too much.



MORE SPIES PLEASE! It took a while to get to the espionage because there was a lot of character-building and world-building that needed to be done first. I get it and in the end, I'm glad I had to wait because when it happened I was drawn more into what would happen and how everything would be fixed. But during I was aching for more action to go on! 



I want a sequel and I want the Lion of the South to go on some more raids. Sure, I know the outcome of the war, but it is fun to see the Lion get some good hits in before the finale of the war.



In the end, this was worth the read if you love spies and historical stories. It takes a bit to get to the espionage bits, but it was worth the wait to get the world-building and the character-building. So good!  I’ll give this a solid 4 stars today.






12 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this one but it could be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spy books are fun, if I am in the mood to read something out of my norm of speculative fiction, may keep this in mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good historical and the Civil War is an interesting time period. Great post :) Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a lot of books set during the Civil War but I really like the sound of this one. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear you enjoyed this, Carole. Sounds like an adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this one, it does sound like a lot of fun, and the romance something that I would be a fan of too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need another book in my TBR like I need a hole in my head, but I So love the sound of this one. Love the Scarlet Pimpernel, and I love books set during the Civil War. Adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds quite fascinating, and I love the spy angle. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a well written book but the Civil War is not my favorite time period to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like one I would end up loving. The Lion sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP