Monday 22 March 2021

Carole's Monday. The Raven prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

 


Author: Elizabeth Hoyt 
Title: The Raven Prince
(Princes #1)
Genre: Historical Romance
Format: ebook
Pages: 392 
Published: November 1st 2006
Where I Got It: Borrowed Library


Summary: 
Widowed Anna Wren is having a wretched day. After an arrogant man on horseback nearly crushes her, she arrives home to learn that she is in dire financial straits.

THERE COMES A TIME IN A LADY'S LIFE

The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior.

WHEN SHE MUST DO THE UNTHINKABLE . . .

When Anna becomes the earl's secretary, it would seem that both their problems are solved. But when she discovers he plans to visit the most notorious brothel in London, she sees red-and decides to assuage her desires . . .

Review:
Picked this up because 1) it matches a square on my challenge bingo sheet and 2) that dress is sooo pretty and 3) I was curious to see how she becomes his secretary  

We follow Anna Wren who has been a widow for a few years and the Earl of Swarthingham. Anna is nearly crushed by an arrogant man on horseback and then she realizes her financials are crumbling. She decides she needs a job to help. The Earl is in a quandary. He has frightened off two secretaries and no one wants to take the job because no one can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior. Walks in Anna. She takes the job and everything seems okay until she discovers he plans to visit the most notorious brothel in London. 

Very unlikely that any Earl would ever, ever hire a woman during this town, but he is not an a-typical bro and he is a jerk-face soooo I will allow it and I liked it. 

The beginning started fine and I enjoyed it. Anna was fun and even the jerk-face Earl was fun. However...I got really bored with their romance about halfway. I will admit that I started skimming. The sexual tension had me yawning. Which is weirrrrd because I did like the two of them and they seemed to work together well. But that is that. Work. I did not feel and believe their chemistry. 

And then the brothel parts happened. Sighs. I get her getting jealous. For sure. But her going all the way to London, talks with a whore, and then puts on a mask and goes to the Earl's room to have smexy times with him. WHAT? How dangerous! How silly! 

And of course he finds out. Duh. I really didn't understand why we needed the brothel scenes. It seemed unnecessary. They were already lusting over each other and working together.  

I feel like there was too much shoved into this and the modern language used here and there really bugged me.  

Sighs. Not for me in the end.

I loved our characters, but I didn't love them and their chemistry. Plus there were too many modern notions and languages that made it hard for me to like. I'll stamp this with 2 stars. 






Challenge(s):
- #13 for Romance Bingo - Widow/Widower (yayy bingo!)





4 comments:

  1. Sorry this one was such a dud. But at least you completed a box on your bingo card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is pretty. Sorry to hear the romance was kind of a bore, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that brothel scene sounds weird. Sorry this one didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very vaguely remember this book... Hoyt has better romance novels, that's for sure! This one is quite old though. Try Duke of Sin ❤

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP