Thursday 31 January 2013

Review: Divergent - Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

My thoughts:
Another book that was really hyped about. Sure it was good, but was it mind blowing in any way? Nope. The only good thing was a compelling story that I read fast.

Will I still go all snarky on it? Oh yes. No amount of good will save this book. Sure I am pissed that book 2 is borrowed since I would want to read it at once, but I have the flu and I wanna tear something apart.

The world building was not good. I need more people! This was not enough. The entire system of factions was beyond stupid. I did not fit a single one, humans are not such simple creatures. And this would stop war and shit? Ha! Humans are not that simple. So the factions and the world was a fail. Dauntless, oh do not even get me started on those idiots. Brave equals stupid it seems. And the whole system also throws away people, now how is that a better world? Why have factions at all? And of course there are divergents cos as I said, humans are not simple.

The heroine Tris is of course the savior of mankind, a weak little girl that is not in fact weak but rises to the challenge. Ok I did like her even if she was a little too good for her own good. Then there is a love interest and I am happy to see no triangle, but hey this is book 1 so that might happen still (I sure hope not).

Conclusion:
But in the end, like I said,a compelling story that made me want more. But an epic dystopian masterpiece? No. For that I need to question society, and here that was way too simple do to. Too many things not adding up, not explained. Anyway, all things said, I do want to know what happens next. But with my luck it will entirely suck as all part 2 of every freaking dystopia series I have read have done.

Cover: Boooooring

Series: Divergent #2
Genre: YA /dystopia
Pages: 487
Published: 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Source. Library

50 comments:

  1. I'm just not sure this is for me and all the hype has kind of scared me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hype is always so hyped and it was nowhere as good as that

      Delete
  2. Not for me but thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually afraid to tell you I thought book two was better, more world building..LOL Get better soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...oh..yes I wanna read it. But I am sooooooo scared!

      Delete
  4. The world building gets better in #2. I didn't understand the factions since people aren't one thing and not the other. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get book 2 since book 3 doesn't even have a release date.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok then I will def wait cos I HATE waiting for a year or more. And I am happy to hear it gets better.

      And the factions are bad. So all people fit in one of 5 categories..really?!

      Delete
  5. Hope you feel better soon Blodeuedd! I believe half the reading world has, or has had the flu already.
    And thanks for making me laugh with this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had the flu here? Aha, that is what I get from an old review posted first on GR ;)

      Hihi good

      Delete
  6. hahahaha I love the honesty. And yes, I hope you feel better as much as I hope the second one beats your expectations. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, who knows. It would be a first . But then I did not love this one so that may help

      Delete
  7. That's too bad it dissappointed. I need great world building with dystopians...otherwise, what is the point? Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did disappointed in that and more. But it was still good cos it all flowed well

      Delete
  8. I personally liked Divergent better than Insurgent. Tris really is a whiney pain in the ass in Insurgent. I don't think you will like the second if you didn't like the first. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg..really?! Arghhhh *dies a bit* i can't stand whiny cos she walks a thin line as it is

      Delete
  9. I loved this and thought it was better than Insurgent. And for YA book this was awesome lol :D
    Hope you like the second book better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that sounds like low expectations for YA ;)

      Delete
  10. LOL! I loved this review.

    I do think I liked it better than you did, but I didn't go into it expecting a masterpiece. Funny that the more attention it gets, the less I expect from it. I think it has saved many a book for me. Still, I do get what you mean about the world building. I wanted much more as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then again all dystopia books are hyped, but ...I do like those I have read. But I did not like this one as much. Something compelling was missing for me. But then I might not end up hating book 2 ;)

      Delete
  11. I liked but didn't love, but I am going to read the 2nd as well.
    I also had probs with the world building but tried to overlook to just enjoy.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember your review, as I had just read the book then. And I did feel that we felt kind of the same. Like, not love, but still wanting more

      Delete
  12. That's what I'm afraid of...it has been hyped every where so now I will lessen my expectations and just enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the way to do it, go in with lower expectations and you might like it more

      Delete
  13. Signed under every complaint, Blodeuedd! I felt the same - it was good but not good enough for the hype. I'm almost dreading reading book #2....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes after my string of bad luck with book 2s I do fear this one. But then again I did like book 1 more from those series

      Delete
  14. I have wanted to read this for ages and then I ended up getting the audio although I haven't listened to it yet. I'm sad to hear its not as good as the hype although I find that happens with a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen to so many books. Every book is the new Hunger Games..well I ended up hating that series too

      Delete
  15. I have this one, and I've been waiting to read it as I don't want the hype to ruin the read for me. Thanks for the review, and sorry it wasn't all that but sounds like a good start. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hype is so bad. But it was still an ok book, who needs awesome all the time

      Delete
  16. You know, I'm starting to really dislike hyped books. They never live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had fun reading this too but wasn't as impressed as others. I would label myself "Erudite" if I had to but I know that I'm so much more (as are other people) to be stuck in just one faction for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would suck, i could not be one faction for the rest of my life. And I would not fit any

      Delete
  18. To be honest, I liked the 2nd book better than the first but I was in the minority. I thought the first book was to slow and left way to many questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it did, sure it makes you want more but it can also be really bad

      Delete
  19. For a book I hated enough to speedread through it, I remember way too much of it. Good luck with the second book, but I'm staying away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I am gonna hate it...I was annoyed here, but made it through

      Delete
  20. I have this one but haven't had time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Book 2 is definitely better for world building, but I'm a bit un-enchanted with the whole idea now. It isn't something that really holds up for me over time, the more I think about it.
    I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I do feel like that already, so even if it gets better I just do not know. I need better worlds

      Delete
  22. Sorry it didn't do it for you ... I loved it lol and I thought the world building and factions were built on in book 2 but it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, we can't all love the same books.
      But I do like that she builds on the world more

      Delete
  23. Humans are incredibly complex and I think that is the idea here. It is harder to fit people in a box. It just doesn't hold for very long. I think that I liked this one more than you, but must say that I have started Insurgent and decided not to finish it. I don't know if it was the timing or it was just not for me. I will give it another try after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seem that here it does hold. People fit into this mold, but some don't and they are divergent. But from what I read about divergent and I would not be that either. For me the concept just would have needed at least a few more factions and then maybe it could have worked a bit better.

      Yikes...does not bode well

      Delete
  24. Lol. So much of what you said, I said in my review too. I was so annoyed that brave = getting a bunch of tattoos. And I agree on the world building. I do think the second one is better but I'm not sure I'll ever get the hype surrounding this particular series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, too much hype, not enough stuff inside. But sure the library has book 2 so I will read it one day

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP