Wednesday 25 September 2013

Carole Reviews: The Bad Death - Naima Haviland

Author: Naima Haviland
Title: The Bad Death
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Historical
Pages: ebook
First Published: August 21st, 2013
Where I Got It: Given to me by publisher/author to read and review for my honest and unbiased opinion


"Passion rules the heart and terror rules the night…
South Carolina, 1788. The African beauty emerging from his family crypt is a stranger to Julian Mouret, the refined owner of Lion’s Court plantation. A dancer and a mystery, she spins a strange, dark, and impossible tale of peril and flight. Though he fears she must surely be mad, the handsome slave owner is soon himself a slave, lost to the seductions of this enchantress called Anika and determined to lead her North to safety. 

But there can be no safe haven for Julian or the exquisite Gullah girl who has bewitched him, not while monsters roam the night. A series of horrifying mutilation murders screams of the presence of “plat-eyes”—shape-shifting blood-sucking supernatural creatures feeding at will on the plantation workers—and only Anika can end the rampage. But to face the vampire horde she will have to master the darkness within. And the price of victory in the battle ahead may well be the eternal soul of the man she is coming to love."


Like earlier stated I read this for the publisher/author to give my honest and unbiased opinion. 

The moment I read the summary I needed to read this. I needed to know what happened. That's pretty much how I got through the book so quickly...I needed to know what happened next. It's such an interesting concept. 


A slave girl, Anika, was an interesting character. She had two souls in her. A dancer and a slave girl who together need to fight the bad ol' vamps running around South Carolina. Poor Julian...getting sucked into the middle of this just because he's bewitched by her. I'm sorry, but if I was Julian I would have been freaked out by the fact that she popped out his family crypt. Plus...she's odd. She has two different personalities going (the reader learns about that quickly, but poor guy was in the dark). 


Naima Haviland has SUCH a great way of sucking the reader into the story. I felt like I was there and in the same room or crypt. I also felt like she had a great knowledge of both the rich, white culture and the slave culture. It wasn't over the time (ie the dialect writing), it was perfect. Kuddos!


There was one thing I was upset about...I was confused. Perhaps it was my fault, but I wasn't sure what was going on half of the time.*shrugs* I can't much else on this without letting out many spoilers. I think there may have been too much going on at once. That may be it. Not only did she have a love triangle going on (or should I say a love square?), evil vamps, weird dou-souls in one body, ballet dancing, discovering of power, and so much more. Too much for my little brain, perhaps. Like I said...it may have just been me. 


Besides for too much going on and me getting confused, I really liked this book. The setting set-up was fantastic, the characters were awesome, and the action kept me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see what more Naima Haviland has to offer. ^.^ Out of five stars, I shall give this....3 stars. I would recommend this to those that love a good gothic, historical, action, romance. 



Favorite Character(s): Prince, Marcus, and Anika

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Julian (I liked him at the beginning, but as the story progressed...no so much) and the vamps 


Carole owner of caroleraesramblings.com

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was too many ideas going all at once? I've read books like that before. Seems like maybe there could have been more than one book exploring at least 2 of these ideas at a time. Still, sounds like an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting premise...thats why I agreed to read this. hahaha.

      Delete
  2. I love that this is such a gripping read, even though it did get confusing now and then. Most of the time? Anyway, I think it sounds great.
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maja! It was very gripping...so I'm thinking that it overshadows the confusion. Perhaps the reader is meant to be confused...not sure

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it could be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo bad old vamps in the Carolina's, this sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought I'd see the day vamps running around the Carolina's

      Delete
  5. Sometimes its best to start off with less in first book and work up to a lot more. Sounds like there was a lot going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo I do so hate being confused while reading! Unless I'm supposed to be confused as a reader, but otherwise I get all flustered at the fact that I don't know what's going on and I just can't settle in to the book:) Sounds like you still enjoyed the story for the most part though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! However, I think I was suppose to be confused...especially when reading Julian's POV

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed this overall, despite the confusion. I do hate when I get lost because there are too many things going on at once, but this definitely sounds incredibly interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The premise sounds really good, but yes, maybe too much going on all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Carole! Sounds like a pretty good read.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP