Sunday 31 March 2019

Carole's Sunday Review: Gold Digger - Rebecca Rosenberg


Gold Digger, The Remarkable Baby Doe Tabor
Author: Rebecca Rosenberg 

Title: Gold Digger
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: ebook
Expected publication: May 28th 2019
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)




One look at Baby Doe and you know she was meant to be a legend! She was just twenty years old when she came to Colorado to work a gold mine with her new husband. Little did she expect that she’d be abandoned and pregnant and left to manage the gold mine alone. But that didn’t stop her!


She moved to Leadville and fell in love with a married prospector, twice her age. Horace Tabor struck the biggest silver vein in history, divorced his wife and married Baby Doe. Though his new wife was known for her beauty, her fashion, and even her philanthropy, she was never welcomed in polite society.



Discover how the Tabors navigated the worlds of wealth, power, politics, and scandal in the wild days of western mining.



I was instantly drawn in by the cover and then the summary. That is a lovely cover and the story sounds sooooooo good. 



The story follows Baby Doe,  born Elizabeth McCourt, who would become a legend of Colorado! Things do not start off so great. She thinks she finds her true love but is abandoned pregnant and no money. However, she kept pushing. Things happen and she meets Tabor who would move the Earth for her. 



I felt so bad for Baby Doe. She was treated like crap by that jerkface! Ugh. He didn't deserve her. I'm glad Baby Doe realized this and got a divorce even though it went against her religion and society. But he didn't love her and she deserved better for sure. 



Honestly? I wasn't a huge Tabor fan at first. It took eons for me to really warm up to him. Maybe it is because I didn't trust him? I'm not sure but I was constantly worried that he was going to hurt her. She really deserved happiness! I adored her. She was not only beautiful, but she was smart and strong. 



I liked Billy at first, but grrrr he was a snot. 



The writing was beautiful! I had enjoyed a previous novel by the author a while back and adored the writing style. This was the same. Simply lovely. It really hooks you into the story and characters. 



The ending was cliff-hanger-ish...but not at the same time. I liked how it ended. You can leave as is or move forward. It was very nice, but it did make me sad at the same time. Oooo the feels. 



I had no major issues at all. I really enjoyed the story. I highly recommend it for historical fiction lovers. I'll stamp this with 5 stars. 




3 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP