Thursday 1 October 2009

Review: From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Harris


From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris
Book 8

Published: 2008
Pages: 368
Genre Urban fantasy mystery romance

After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the manmade explosion at the vampire summit, everyone--human and otherwise--is stressed, including Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

It's clear that things are changing--whether the weres and vamps of her corner of Louisiana like it or not. And Sookie--Friend to the Pack and blood-bonded to Eric Northman, leader of the local vampire community--is caught up in the changes.

In the ensuing battles, Sookie faces danger, death, and once more, betrayal by someone she loves. And when the fur has finished flying and the cold blood finished flowing, her world will be forever altered.



I choose this cover because I really don't like those other, they are kind of ugly to me and I would not pick up the books. Well, the style is not for me, this one on the other hand I like. I am glad others love them though.

Where to start, this one was confusing. A bunch of things were going on and it didn't follow the normal pattern. One mystery to solve and working towards that to the end. Here the obstacle was quickly overcome, very fast and then a number of more things happened. How can I then explain it then when I have already forgotten most of the book?

Things are happening in her state, relative, or was that the last book? Weres, fighting, I honestly can't say, it felt like a big mess, and I finished and started it this week. This one, ok, but it will not go down as a memorable book. On the contrary, I will have forgotten most of it by next week.

And I do think she is taking in too many paranormal beings and things. And then with Sookie's new status. Felt a bit, I don't know. Perhaps she has a bigger idea with it.

By now it must feel like I hated the book, I didn't, I felt the same thing I have felt for awhile now, they are ok, and I don't have much to say about them. I will not go screaming for the next and I fear that I feel like she is loosing her touch. Book 4, wonderful, mm, shower scene, but after that everything is one big blur, she seem to be getting worse. Not bad, just lingering on the big scope I have for ok (it's a big one, I am very harsh.)

And how many more books will there be? How long can she go on and stretch it out? There comes a point when a series needs to have an end. But perhaps they will get better again, more fun, more Eric, because I know more things are coming, big war surely. Since the FOTS are bad and people are not that understanding.

I am sadly loosing interest, but if my friend keeps buying them I will keep reading.


Borrowed from a friend

22 comments:

  1. I hear that comment a lot. I haven't even read book 2 and I'm wondering when the story comes to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    When you reach a certain point you do start to wonder. Perhaps she will take a new direction or..hm, well if I find them I will read them, I will just not buy them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that cover, it's interesting. I'm sorry Sookie isn't "doing it" for you. I'm still enjoying Ms. Harris' books and waiting for the next installment, but I like how she mixes everything up (characters and events). If I recall, this was a slow book, perhaps you'll like the next one better if you choose to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about the same thing as you when it comes to a bit too many paranormal beings. But I still find the books entertaining and I remember that I'm really curious about her new relative.

    YES, please to more hot N' steamy Mr. Northman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I haven't seen this cover before. I kinda like it. But I think I still prefer the stick drawing, they are kinda unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way about book 8 but thought 9 (Dead and Gone) was a little better. My feel is she's putting a bunch of vignettes together. Hopefully book 10 will be different. If it's not, I'm not sure I'll keep on with the series.

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti,
    I just found it. I have usually seen the normal one and another one, that one is not a fav eithe, cos they all look the same.
    It was a slow read so perhaps that spoiled it a bit for me, I do hope the next one will be better.

    Ladybug,
    Yeah so many things, but the relative angle is a but curious. Perhaps if she get one more power, hm.
    And yes give us steamy scenes with the Nortman ! ;)

    Donna,
    Lol, they are sure unique. Hm so no one has seen this cover, dunno if it's a UK or US one, should check.

    CJ,
    Great to hear, I must ask my friend if she is planning on buying it since she seems to enjoy the series more than I do. Cos I wont keep up another way

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, well you've convinced me not bother the series up again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humm.. I think I'll skip this title unless I find a friend to borrow them from...LOL! Great review, though!

    This cover is still a little boring, I'm not so sure. I'd have to see what the oither ones look like...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great honest review! I have still to read the first three, but I have so many others I feel need my attention first. Maybe that says something? :) I still want to see what all the fuss is about, though.

    I've not seen that cover before, the three I have look more like kids books, different again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,
    Might just be the right choice if you are not that into them. Perhaps she is just in a slump now here in the middle, will see later

    Krista,
    It's not amazing now, but I do prefer it to the others. One is ugly and in the other version they all look alike.

    Sassy,
    Those are the ones I don't like, perhaps it's the kids book feeling and it sure is not a kids book. It gives the wrong message in a way.
    Read them some day, but read those you want first :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really, really liked the latest one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really cannot say much about this book, i haven't read any book of this serie. They all sound so wonderful, but I don't know i should start, when there's no happy ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladytink,
    Hm, I really must read that one then :)

    Nina,
    No HEA in sight, perhaps you can wait for the last book and start then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi B!

    So sorry you're not truly enjoying the series, maybe there an acquired taste?

    I've read them all, and like the ones where Eric and Sookie are together the best. I've been reading your review on Goodreads and as always, excellent and honest reviews!!

    I think (hoping anyway) that Eric and Sookie will have their HEA, Eric shows his feeling for Sookie in Dead and Gone.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dottie,
    It's not like I am hating them, they are ok and fun reads. I just feel like she is loosing a bit of her magic. This one was just messy.

    Oh and too little Eric, it can have been that that lost it for me. I love him and I too want, now I need their HEA

    ReplyDelete
  17. I only read book 1, but I do have the others in my TBR. I just haven't gotten around to continuing. Sometimes that happens with longer series - you wonder how much longer the author can go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like these for the pure entertainment value but I can't read too many in a row. I think I'm up to book 6 or 7.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry this one didn't do it for you. I'm still not sure whether I'll actually read this series.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yvonne,
    Since this was book 8 it was a valid question. At one point I just ask myself, is she writing cos she love it, or cos she wants money. Sad really.

    Teddyree,
    I think I overdosed on Sookie, 5 in a week is too much!

    Anna,
    I can't help you there. I mean they are mindless fun but there are better paranormal and urban fantasy romance out there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read them all and the series definitely has it's ups and downs. I enjoy them overall. Love them best when there is lots of Eric. I don't like it when she seems to have all subplots and no main plot. I just read her latest and wasn't that impressed. I do a lot of skipping to get to the Eric parts. Love him!

    I'm totally with you on the shower scene with Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alyssa,
    This one was sure like that, a lot of subplots and no real plot. She used to have it and yes I missed it...oh and I do need my Eric fix. I will not stop reading them, but no buying. Ok reads, funny, but not a keeper

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP