Monday 19 October 2009

Review: Happy Hour at Casa Dracula - Marta Acosta


Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta
Book 1, Casa Dracula series

Genre: Paranormal romance
Published:2006
Pages: 320

Latina Ivy League grad Milagro de Los Santos can't find her place in the world or a man to go with it. Then one night, at a book party for her pretentious ex-boyfriend, she meets an oddly attractive man. After she is bitten while kissing him, she falls ill and is squirreled away to his family's estate to recover. Vampires don't exist in this day and age -- or do they? As Milagro falls for a fabulously inappropriate man, she finds herself caught between a family who has accepted her as one of their own and a shady organization that refuses to let the undead live and love in peace.


This was a fun book, it was like paranormal chic-lit in a way. Just because the funny way it was written and it didn't take everything so serious and tried to explain that it's so real. A reason why I ended up choosing this cover for my review cos it more says fun than the other one that says paranormal.

I do expect a smile on my face when the main character is a graduate from F.U. Lol, yes. It might not have been laughing out loud. But it was a sweet book that made you smile and a giggle here and there.

Milagro is a spicy Latina that got into a great uni and felt a bit out of place there with all those blonde wasps. One of her secret weapons are her boobs, they are great now and again when you are late with rent and need some sympathy. She is a writer who writes about zombies and gore, and she sure does not believe in anything paranormal. But then she meets a guy who sweeps her off her feet, there is some kissing involved and soon she is going crazy from hearing rats in the walls and gets really ill. In sweeps attractive guy and takes her away to a country estate, but there is also the matter of her ex who wants to stake her.

Oswald, well I liked him, I disliked him, I liked, and yes then I disliked him in the end. He was a roller coaster, and the writer made me feel like Milagro. Could she like and trust him or? There were others I liked instead, I did keep changing my mind and some things just worked out for the best in the end.

As for side character, slimy creep wasp Ex, a good evil person who I wanted to kick in the ass. Edna, oh I loved her. Oswalds grandmother who has a lot of class, and dislikes Milagro, or perhaps just really likes her. And more, who I sure want to know more about later on.

Are they vampires or not is the question here, and I did wonder. It's a different sort of vampire tale, some bites yes, but so much else too. Culture and social classes clash when Milagro shows up, and with her bantering with Edna, there we got the smiles. Romance, yes, and more is to come.

A fun vampire tale with a funny twist. I will keep an eye out for book 2 and 3 because I do want to know what will happen, and if there is that HEA we all love. A recommendation for paranormal lovers out there.



19 comments:

  1. B,

    Great review. :) I thought this one was fun as well.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, this book looks so cute! Maybe I should get into some vampire chick lit - you look like you ahd such fun reading this one :)

    -Aimee
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see this review - I keep going back and forth about adding this one to my TBR. I saw some other good reviews and now yours - I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun one. I don't think I've read much vampire chick lit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, the book does sound very good and fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,
    It was a fun book wasn't it. I loved that about it. I am glad I found it,

    Aimee,
    Oh yes I had a blast, such a fun book, and some great characters. You gotta love that about a book.

    Patti,
    I do think you could enjoy this one, romance, fun, and vampires.

    Carol,
    Lol, dunno if anyone else calls it, but it had a feel of that to it. It was different.

    Nina,
    It was good and fun. I like that about a book

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, great review! I have book one in this series. Now, I want to go pull down and read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a book to just sit down and veg out with totally!! Loved your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Blodeuedd!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I loved Milagro's sense of humor, the way she said things that was really out there. And she wasn't afraid to use her boobs, lol. She put a Latin twist on things, like Oswald's name...she kept calling him Oswaldo. Edna was a lot of fun. Marta Acosta's blog is a lot of fun too. I think you'll like book 2. I have book 3 waiting in my stacks.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful review Blodeuedd!!! I have been having this book on my list for quiet some time! I will have to bite the bullet and order them online because they never have them in my stores. Paranormal chic lit huh!! LOL!! Light and fun...
    I hope you had a great night! And a wonderful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna,
    It was a fun read, I really liked Acostas style. I do hope to read more by her.

    Staci,
    Lol, totally. Such a great book for that.

    Hi Dottie.
    Yay, I am so happy I found Acosta on your blog, thanks!
    Milagro had such a great sense of humor, that is truly why I loved her, and Edna was just great.

    I just checked Martas blog and fun :)

    Cecile.
    Light and fun, oh and suddenly it got real steamy too ;) hehe I will not say more.
    Great read, fun and easy. Gotta love that

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quote"oh and suddenly it got real steamy too ;) hehe I will not say more" ~~ You are evil, you know that!! LMAO!! You love to torture me don't you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cecile,
    Hehe you know I am evil ;) Torture is fun.
    Have to tease you, that is what books are for

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a series I've had my eye on but couldn't decide, sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teddyree,
    It was fun and I do love that about a book :=D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This does sound fun, and your description of the characters makes them sound very entertaining.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anna,
    It was a very fun read, I enjoyed it a great deal, and it had some great characters

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a fun read. I think your assessments are correct. I reviewed this a while ago and Marta answered some questions on my blog. She is great!
    Marta's blog is Vampirewire.
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh cool, I must look up that interview :)
    I sure must read some more from this series

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP