Tuesday 27 October 2009

Review: The Name of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss


The Name of The Wind
Book 1, The Kingkiller Chronicles

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 662
Published: 2007

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe - from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But THE NAME OF THE WIND is so much more - for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend
. (GoodReads)


I might be the only one since everyone keep raving about this book, but honestly I was bored, and I do not give books the chance I gave this one. I kind of felt obligated cos I told the library to buy it. So I read all 662 pages, and was not too happy about it.

I am only giving it 3 stars because yes he he can write he and told a nice story. A great author who actually can write. If it wasn't for that fact I would grade it lower.

Now what was wrong? 662 pages! But I have read longer books that I loved. I think it was the setting. It is just not my kind of fantasy. I want the epic, the big wars, the quest. This book was more about the man, and I could have cared less. I have read another book like this and with that one I could not bring myself to finish book 2. With this book, well perhaps I can force myself just I am gonna force myself with that other book.

The story did not start good for me, Kvothe's childhood, and it did nothing for me. It did get a bit better when he began university and started learning things and some magic. But something was lacking for me, and I would just read Harry Potter. Truth to be told, I have trouble remembering how it ended.

I also think Kvothe was somewhat of a Mary Sue. He is like the smartest person around and learn things in a day that takes years for others. He is a natural at everything, and I am sure in the next book when he learns how to fight he will learn it in an hour. People hate him with a passion or like him.

But I do admit that Rothfuss has a way with words, he can write better than many authors out there. Others will surely love the story and find it intriguing. But it was not the fantasy for me, I go for other things.

But do not listen to me, take a look for yourself. There are different sorts of fantasy and I just go for the high, and epic fantasy.

Now for a new thing as I adore covers

What I think of the cover: Another version had a real ugly one, and this one, well too dark and brooding. Looks like some kind of murder mystery book from the Middle Ages where a monk solves crime.

Why I read it: Library book

3/5 Cos of excellent writing, even if not to my liking(if I had liked it then wow)



28 comments:

  1. Sounds too boring for me too. You showed lost of resolve to slog through over 600 pages. Hopefully your next pick is better. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't like this one! I definitely did, but then I love character-driven books like this. I have a feeling that the epic battles and such are going to come later in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoid most books over 400 pages in general. I just don't have time to read chunksters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't nearly as into this book as most people were, so I can see what you mean. However, I think there could be hope for its sequels. I think it was more that he was so dense with the girl he wanted, and she was really quite dull to me, that made it fall flat. But I still read the whole thing pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOTALLY agree about Kvothe being a Mary Sue, too. I wonder what the guy version is. We should make up a term and coin it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Really, I'm one of the ones who loved this book and I know many more who did as well :) I even read it twice...LOL! I loved the once in a life time quotes, the characters and the way the story was told. The only problem I have is the fact that I've been waiting a whole year to read the next one! LOL! :)

    But hey, we all can't like the same things right... LOL! :)

    Great review and sorry you were disappointed :(

    Oh and I liked the cover with the red headed guy and his lute....did you see that one? :)

    Have a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa,
    I can't believe I did it, took me all weekend, oh and the week before now and then. I read for hours, and napped in between cos it made me tired.
    Now I really know that this fantasy is not for me.

    Meghan,
    Some epic battles would make it better for me. But I am glad you liked it. The critiques told it was so great so I was very disappointed that I had to go and not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vivienne,
    I have this 500 page book to read now too, oh they are horrible sometimes. So big and heavy to carry around.

    Aarti,
    Hehe, yes we should make up some good name for them. I am pretty lost of ideas since I don't even know why women are called Mary Sue.

    Didn't like the girl either, and whole that love story fell flat for me. But yes I am sure if they get it I will borrow it, perhaps it will go better if I go in with really low hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista,
    Yes I know, everyone loves it, and then I go and hate it :( Made me so sad.

    Twice, oh, wow, you must really love it! I am happy this style was more for you. Have you read Scott Lynch's books? I felt they were sort of in the same sort of style.

    Yes we are all different, I would hate all book to be the same. This way it's great, and in the future I know to look for a good quest, war or something at least.

    nah didn't like the guy with the lute either, felt a bit, hm, nit my style. Then again the best series ever has these real bad covers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you finished it because you felt guilty...

    Don't feel too bad, someone will check it out that absolutely loves it and they'll have you to thank!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 600 pages + of boring!! Oh, I'm so sorry and I hope the library doesn't send you a bill LOL!! That stinks though because it had great promise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey,

    No I haven't read Scott Lynch's work. He writes like Rothfuss, then I'll definitely have to look out for him, thanks :)

    I also think the real good stuff is coming in the next two books, but if not, then I'll be right there with you on the disappointment level. I loved his first book but if the story doesn't unfold right.... I'll be sad. As it stands now, for me, is he is an awesome writer and I'm looking forward to what's to come :)

    Yeah, I didn't really care for this cover and I liked the other one better...but they weren't anything special....

    Krista :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard great things about this author but have never read him. I do want to try him one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patti,
    Gotta feel guilty, I thought it would be so great. But yes I am sure someone else will find it and love it, and thank the library gods that they got it :)

    Staci,
    Lol, nah, the library was just happy to get some good fantasy. Too bad it was not teh fantasy for me. But hey someone will love it. And there is not much fantasy in the English section so that is good.

    Krista,
    I just came to think about it when you talked about the book being character driven and the Lynch book was so. Something was similar, so perhaps you could enjoy him.

    Here is to hoping the good stuff comes then. But dunno if they will buy book 2, perhaps in another language so one day.

    I liked this one the most, but yes nothing special really. I like those pretty and cool fantasy covers

    Mandi,
    Do try, perhaps you will find him more to your liking :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fantasy genre, but I am always a bit wary of it at the same time, for this reson. Mind you, my library as got a really bad collection of fantasy novels, so that may be why!
    Big Hugs, Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your honest opinion =) I've only read reviews, so far, where everyone seems to love this book. This is one I'll have to read to find out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, a negative review of The Name of the Wind. I have to agree with you saying that this story is definitely about the character. However, you can infer from Kvothe's words that there is bloodshed, and that his "quest" is to learn about the Chandrian and avenge his parents.

    Pat Rothfuss sat out to write a book that sat aside most fantasy cliches, and I felt that this novel was a refreshing breath of air in a genre that has grown a bit stagnant over the years. People like Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, and Brandon Sanderson are making fantasy right again.

    I'm sorry you didn't like the novel. It was very much character driven, and I was eager to learn all I could of Kvothe and why he is the way he is in the present. I wanted to know what he did that made him responsible for the way the world is.

    And I absolutely agree with you about Pat's writing. The man knows how to spin words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is on my wish list. I'll still give it a shot, but thanks for kind of tempering my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scattie,
    I doubt any genre ever will win over my love for fantasy. I do have our library to thank for that. At least they has some that I liked, and one that I Love.

    Ladybug,
    Do try him for yourself for yes I am like the only one that did not like this book. it is so strange. But I had to tell it like I felt

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol,
    Do give it a go, and I do think you will like it. I am just the weird one out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Logan,
    Yes, now why did I have to go and be different. I sure hope Rothfuss does not come across this review. but then again, I have nothing against him as a writer. He told a great story, and he is a great writer. Something that I can't say about many books.

    Yes there is that quest, and I know there will be plenty of blood to come. Still I am afraid I go for those old school fantasy epic adventures. Then again I have found new genres too lately with new voices. But this form still does not speak to me.

    New voices are always great and welcomed. The help to transform and create new ways of writing.

    Sadly, yes I was not into it, and I did not care to learn about his story. But I hope others will, and I am sure it will be so. He is a great writer and he deserves all those glowing reviews.

    I like the writing, the story was good, but I didn't fall for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this review. I always get suspicious about a book that gets nothing but great reviews and so I was about this one. Now I still might read it but at least I know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lilly,
    I know, I get like that too. Just cos everyone loves it doesn't mean I have to, and in this case I just did not

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Blodeuedd!

    The thing that would have thrown me is the fact it's first in the series and has a whopping 662 pages. Usually the first book is the shortest in the line, can you image how long the second, third...etc. will be? Still, it might be one that I would like, I love fantasy is almost any shape or form. I'll keep this one in mind.

    Thanks for another great and honest review, and no worries, no one book can't be everyone's cup of tea.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Dottie,
    Perhaps you will like it better than me, I do also love all kinds of fantasy. But I guess every rule has exceptions, I noticed that before when I read a Fiona Mcintosh book and just got upset and angry. It was too depressing.

    But yes 622, and shouldn't a paperback then be even bigger. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I give you credit for sticking with that tome. I've read one boring book that long, and I'll never do it again! LOL

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anna,
    It is sure never fun, but sometimes you just have to stick to it, and I felt I owed the book

    ReplyDelete
  28. There's nothing wrong in being honest! Glad that you are. I have this on my list for next year so I'll let you know what happens.
    And you're a better woman than me because I would not have finished it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP