Saturday 10 October 2009

Review: Moon Called - Patricia Briggs


Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Mercedes Thompson, Book 1

Pages: 304
Published: 2006
Genre: urban fantasy

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.  She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.
(Good reads)


Another book that was good on my long, long bustrip on Friday. I could not stop reading. By the way, will be visiting all your blogs on Monday when I am back home. Today a little post since I have had time to read a lot.

I really liked this book and I am so glad I got it. I want more. I need to know what will happen to Mercedes, and especially when it comes to Adam and Sam.

Mercedes is a mechanic, and not afraid to get dirty under a car. The thing with her is that she is a shapeshifter and can shift into a coyote. By being apart of this world she knows about all the other things out there, the Fae, the werewolves, witches and vampires. She also knows this because she is friends with a Fae and a vampire. Not to mention that a hunky angry alpha werewolf lives next to her. But they do not exactly see eye to eye and she knows her place since a coyote is way under a were.

But then things happen and suddenly her world is a lot more dangerous.

I love her, she is kickass, cool, speaks her mind, and yes I liked her at once. Then there is the big bad alpha Adam, what can I say vampires don't hold anything on werewolves. Weres are such alphas and I don't think I I can go back to those tiny vamps.

This book has a lot of action, and a fair share of bloodshed. There is also a prospect of romance and tensions run high. I just loved that, this one car scene, well I will stay tuned to the next one to see how it turns out. Who gets who.

She is great with myths and I can see she has put some though into the whole thing, and I appreciate that. Making up their own is fun but I also like when an author take existing things and make them her own.

This is recommended to all urban fantasy fans out there, I think most have already read Briggs and I might be coming in a bit late, but better late then never.



32 comments:

  1. I've heard that Patricia Biggs writes really great books. I'm going to have to try one out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite series. I love Mercy and "the gang" and I can't think of anything about this series I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your review on this book Blodeuedd! This is one of those authors where I am saying...and also my CC is saying; Some day...

    I really like to read her someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally - She comes over to the dark side...LOL

    I agree with every word you wrote.. Briggs is a great story teller.

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I love this series and was hooked after the first few pages. Absolute keepers! Great review! Hope you have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled you enjoyed this one! Mercy and her gang are at the top of my list and I can't wait for the next one to come out. Briggs has another series set in the same world, called the Alpha and Omega series. It's almost as good as the Mercy series.

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mercedes sounds like she would remind me of my best friend. I'm going to have to recommend this book to her!
    And the whole myth aspect - I think i might have to read it even though urban fantasy covers always turn me off so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, it's fun hearing your comments! This makes me want to re-read this installment. And stick with it, the Sam and Adam thing DOES get resolved!!! Hope you're having a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my all time favorite books! LOVE this series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed the book. I read this one a while back and liked it. My only complaint was that I wanted more romance. Like you said, I think there is more to come. I've bought the second one and plan to get around to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B,

    This is one of my favorite series. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this installment - they just get better as you go along. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you liked MOON CALLED Blodeuedd! I love this series and I especially love the spin-off series Alpha & Omega. Get ready for some awesome reading, girl!!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so loved your thoughts on this book and the character...you've made me want to grab this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It fun to see another reader become a Mercy fangirl. :) I love this series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought the book due to reading Charles and Anna's story... wanting to know the beginning... I will need to read this one and buy the rest!
    Another wonderful review hon!
    I hope you have a great weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review B, I've got this one on audio to listen to and I can't wait. I'm sure I'm one of the last ones to get on the Patricia Briggs train!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, I love that the story had action and ofcourse romance. :) I don't know if im going to find this one in the stores, cause they do not have allot of these kind of books there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It doesn't get better than Patricia Briggs. You are definitely in for a treat. If you want to try her other series, Alpha and Omega, I'm currently giving away On The Prowl on my site

    http://allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dar,
    She was good, I really fell for this book and her characters.

    Patti,
    I am so glad I saw this book around and got it. I really want to read more now.

    Leontine,
    I know, I have those authors too. One day, one day. Well at least I can cross one from that one day list

    EH,
    Hehe yes the dark side was tempting and I am glad I crossed over. Briggs is cool.

    Susi,
    Thanks, yes a great weekend, not much sleep though. And I did found a great new author

    CJ,
    I so loved her. I must try her other series one day too. But first finish this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brizmus,
    I know, those UF cover do tend to be a bit, yeah..but I got the UK cover and that one is simple and pretty. Should check it out.
    And do recommend it :D

    Carolyn,
    I am very happy to read it, and that tension between them 3. Made me jump out of my seat. I wanna read more about them.

    Mandi,
    I know, love! I am true were girl now.

    Roni,
    Not much romance, but I made do with the tension in there. And yes I am sure much more is to come when it plays out.

    Michelle,
    Thanks, I had fun.
    Getting better you say, I can't wait. Perhaps I should wish for a bookstore giftcard this xmas. I think I might survive until that.

    VFG,
    Thanks :D
    Hm, yes I do want to have a look at that spin-off too, more weres please.

    Staci,
    It was so fun. Loved the hint of romance, the action, the werewolves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Donna,
    I confess, I have been converted, and it was fun.

    Cecile,
    Thanks, I had fun, studying, shopping and quality time with a friend.

    I really should read that book too, oh and you should read this one. it was fun!

    Teddyree,
    Lol, I guess we both were late coming in. But better late than never. I hope you will enjoy the audio.

    Nina,
    I hear you, we have Twilight, and that is pretty much it. Thanks the bookgoods for the internet, I order most from there

    Abigail,
    Thanks for stopping by :D I must go and have a look at your site

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, because I have it on my shelf:) I really must get to it! Love the cover, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Krista,
    I am sure you will like it too, I sure hope so :D
    And yay that you already have it

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love this series. I think it just gets better. I haven't read the most recent yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carol,
    Better and better, I do love to hear that :) I must buy more so I can find out if that is the case

    ReplyDelete
  26. I heard good reviews about this one. Honestly, I've not read much urban fantasy. Should I start with this one?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hazra,
    Hm, you could. She is good, and I enjoyed it. If you want a bit more romance you could go for Bitten by kelley Armstrong, loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry if I'm commenting twice; my computer is acting up.

    I just wanted to say that I love kickass female characters, too. Thanks for the review!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anna,
    Nope just once, but yes I know about computers that act up.
    They can be awesome, and i just loved Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the great review, I'm so glad to see that you liked it because I have this book in my bookshelf(unread) ;)

    I'm not sure if I want to start it without having the second book in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Blodeuedd--

    I saw your link on the Bloggers Unite group on GoodReads and so came over to check you out. I, too, am a fan of the Mercy Thompson series. Here's my review of Moon Called. Hope you'll stop by The Book Frog and check me out.

    I'm following you, now, so I can keep up with what's going on in the book-reading world of Finland.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ldybug
    Hm, one year late reply *blush*
    Hope you got more by now :=)

    Hi becky
    I am glad you stopped by :D I'll come right on over :=

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP