Tuesday 13 October 2009

Review: The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance


The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

Pages: 521
Published: 2009

24 new short stories from the hottest names
Fall in love with someone out of this world.

If love transcends all boundaries then paranormal romance is its logical conclusion. From the biggest names around, here are 24 tales to take you to another time and place.

Let Alyssa Day, Anna Windsor,  Anya Bast, Jean Johnson, CT Adams and Cathy Clamp, Holly Lisle, Mary Jo Putney, Eve Silver, Dina James, Catherine Mulvany, Lori Devoti, Sara Mackenzie, Lynda Hilburn, Michelle Rowen, Rachel Caine, Meljean Brook, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyder, Carrie Vaughn, Allyson James Marland show you powers beyond your wildest imaginings.

Within these pages mythical beasts, magical creatures of all shapes and sizes, heart-stoppingly handsome ghosts, angels, and mortals with extra-sensitive sensory perception play out the themes of extraordinary desires.


Ok how to review this, I will not talk about all those stories. So a few short lines about those I really enjoyed.


The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn
I did not like it at first, which is bad since it's so short, but then I liked it. A story about a zoo with paranormal beings, and it was the selkie that got me. One hot hot scene too.

Light through Fog by Holly Lisle
This was a sort of ghost story but at the same time not. And it was heartbreaking, a wonderful little story she brought to life.

Grace of Small Things by Ilona Andrews
I guess it was set in that world she writes about, with magic clans and such, not sure. Anyway clans, a hunt, and I found myself liking this little story.


Once a Demon by Dina James
I think this was my fav, what a bittersweet story, heart wrenching about a demon and love.

The lighthouse keeper and his wife by Sara Mckenzie
Neptune, the sea, a lighthouse, lost love, a good history that evolved.


The Princess and the peas by Alyssa Day
Oh I liked this one, set in a lost country long ago, with fae and magic. Even though I imagined another thing happening and was a bit disappointed when it didn't.

At second Bite by Michelle Rowan
This was my second fav. A girl, vampires, soulmates, and it was funny. I loved her style, I really can see myself reading more Rowan.

The Dream Catcher by Allyson James
A strange world, repressed passion and a truly hunky guy. I liked what she begun.

So some I liked, some I have forgotten, some were ok. These were the good ones. Though the Jeanine Frost was kind nice too. Still I am not a short story girl, I want more, a beginning, an end, more! I need a long story.



13 comments:

  1. Ohhh, this is in my TBR (sitting on my nightstand). I'll have to look back and compare what you thought when I do start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review B!

    I know it's really tough to review anthologies, especially one as big as this. I think you wrote it perfectly, picking out the ones you most enjoyed.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this one the shelf every time I got to Borders... and I think to myself... there are many stories in there... I like short stories... But I am like you, I always find myself wanting more!!!!
    Thanks for letting me know what you thought of this one!!! Thanks for always coming to my place!!!
    Hope you had a great day/night and have a wonderful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janicu,
    It will be fun to see which ones you like. Since there are 24 I am sure there are some everyone can enjoy. That fog light, so sad.

    Lea,
    Thanks, nice to hear. Since I just can't write about short stories. So hard, they are so short. I would just spoil it all.

    Cecile,
    Oh yes more more!!! I like a long story. Some short ones can be cool now and again, but I always wonder.
    Of course hon, I love your place :) You have cake and cute guys lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not big into paranormal romance, but if I ever consider reading any, maybe short stories are the way to go.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,
    Could perhaps be the case if you like short stories :) Which I obviously may not really do..well to a certain degree

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one actually sounds fun because it gives you so many opportunities to find a story you may like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staci,
    So true, sure there were some I did not like, but then there were some I really liked. Oh and the heartbreaking one, when that one I will remember

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer a longer story too, but for paranormal romance, I might make and exception!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alyssa,
    They can sometimes do pull it off, but yes I do always prefer a long story

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alyssa,
    They can sometimes do pull it off, but yes I do always prefer a long story

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Blodeuedd!

    This is on my read list, but the stories are so short, it makes for hard reviewing.

    I enjoyed your mini-reviews, short with just enough to entice.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dottie,
    I know, they were so short, I really could not do it. Perhaps 4 lines about all I could have said, but that could just as well have spoiled the whole thing.

    Thanks for liking my truly minireviews :=)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP