Tuesday 20 October 2009

Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen

Published: 2009
Genre: Classic regency romance/zombie mayhem
Pages: 320

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." 

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton - and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. 

What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers - and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.
(fantastic fiction)


Oh, how can I even describe this book. It was madness, and I loved it! It followed Austen's story, everything happened and most of the time with her exact words. But then there were the differences, like Lizzy polishing her katana, and killing zombies on her way to Meryton. It was completely different and at the same time just the same.

Some might see it as blasphemy but I am sure Austen could have seen the fun in this. All those zombies, and I liked the Bennet girls more than ever. Now they all very warriors, sure silly still but they had something. Even if I have started to get annoyed by Lizzy lately, she is very prejudiced. But everyone was cool, and her mother was still crazy about wanting them all to get married, Mr Collins was still an ass, Darcy was still Darcy, and Lady de Bourgh, well she was a great fighter with an army of ninjas. Bit of a difference there, and I did enjoy her a lot.

The author was not afraid to make changes, some differences in how they act, things that happen and so forth. There are plenty of zombies out there, while some things stay the same, some things will change. And it is still the same story about Mrs Bennet wanting them to get married, Jane falling for Bingley, Lizzy thinking Darcy is proud and Lydia running away with Wickham.

This book also had the greatest line that had me giggling.


"Your balls, Mr Darcy?"
He reached out and closed her hand around them, and offered: "My balls belong to you Miss Bennet."

Now that is just great, and I love that he made that innuendo. Of course I cut out the first part about her holding ammunition because this way it's so much better. So no sex or anything like that, this is a Pride and Prejudice book after all, the closest they get is that wet shirt scene which sadly was not here ( yes I know, I have watched that BBC series too much). Though there was talk about some wet pants.

And of course there is a lot of zombie killing, and guts and more. The zombies have plagued the country for 50 years but the British stand tall and stay and fight. While continuing on like before.

Do read this one, if only for the fun of it. It's a funny twist to a great novel, and I sat there smiling as I read it. I liked this novel. Because how would the classic regency novel look if it was filled with brain loving zombies who wanted flesh. All while life goes on with balls, tea, and modesty.




28 comments:

  1. Awesome. I've been holding off reading this one since I couldn't get a good review. But yours is excellent and gives the idea that I'll enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant review. You write very well. Thanks for sharing.
    All the very best,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to say this is the best honest to goodness review of this book that I have read. I wasn't planningon readin it until your review. Great job B!

    Here's my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hon..

    I love your take on this..

    I absolutely detest everything Austen - and I am glad you made this review a fun one...

    Uglg cover... but I can see the satire in it...

    Good one..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review :D I have this book in my pile of books that need to be read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha i just couldn't bring myself to read this one! Great review, though.

    -Aimee :)
    www.myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. B,

    Wonderful review!! I am so glad you enjoyed this one - I have it on the tbr shelf.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! I actually can't remember if I have seen this book reviewed...nice take on it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read this one, but I have seen it!!! This book just never spoke me the same way my others scream at me. So, I don't know. But I love the quote you put in there!! That had me holding my sides LMAO!!
    Hope you had a great day/night and a wonderful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this in my TBR, it looks like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never read Pride and Prejudice but this book sounds like a lot of fun. I love the Mr. Darcy quote, that's just great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been mulling over this one for a while, but maybe I should just do it and read it. Especially now that Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters is out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda,
    Bad reviews, hm, I guess some do think it's blasphemy and others might think there are too few zombies. I thought it was hilarious.

    Thanks Simone, that was sweet of you to say.

    Jenny,
    Aww thanks, I am glad there is at least one good review out there then. I just see the fun in it.

    EH
    Hehe yes you gotta go with a bit of satire now and then.
    I am a watch Austen kind of girl, though this sure makes it much better than a book. I do hate zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ivy,
    I borrowed this from a friend who hadn't even read it yet, so had to read it fast :) But I bugged her to let me borrow it cos her TBR pile is huge!

    Aimee,
    Lol, I totally understand. It caught my eye from the first moment and I am so glad I got to read it thanks to my bookloving buddy.

    Michelle,
    As long as one see the fun in it it's easy to enjoy :D Quirky book, gotta love that.

    Thanks Mandi
    I can't remember either, perhaps everyone is so grossed out by zombies in Austen..

    Cecile,
    I do get that, it didn't scream at me either. It just hinted at me when I saw it around, but luckily it screamed more at a friend.
    Oh the quote was the best ever! I could not believe my eyes, and then I had to share it.

    Patti,
    I hope you will enjoy it when you get to it :)

    Donna,
    Gotta love a quote like that. It was a nice take on Austen.

    Aarti,
    Hm oh yes that one, I don't think I will go for the sea monsters book. But this one was fun as long as one does not take it too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I read this when it first came out and it was such a fun read! The only thing I would have suggested was more zombie mayhem!! LOL! Oh and I loved the illustrations. Such a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Krista,
    I know fun :)
    haha so you are one of those more zombies!!! Since I am scared to death of zombies I thought there were more than enough lol.I forgot about the pics, they were great

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this one and liked, but didn't love it. Once the novelty wore off, I felt like there wasn't much left.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carol,
    Hm could be true, I just wanted to see if there was a HEA, hehe silly I know

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have had this book for awhile, but I have put off reading it because I just wasn't sure about it. But I think, after reading your review, it maybe worth it!
    Thanks for the great review and the lovely comments on my blog!
    Big Hugs, Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Beth :)
    Do give it a try, keep and open mind and a smile nearby. It is not a book to be taken seriously lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I love this cover and I have read it too, got to write the review...soon! LOL It is fun!

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sassy,
    Thye cover is gonna give me nightmares soon if I don't give it back to my friend..still I do love it

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that sounds just great. The cover is just wonderful and I think I would like this zombified story.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. After reading your review and the balls quote I MUST BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susi,
    I know, great scary cover, and you will get really zombified.

    Staci,
    Lol, hehe do find it

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad to see you liked this one. It seems as though people either really hate it or think it's a lot of fun. I have this book on my shelf, and I flipped through it when I got it and was impressed by the illustrations. After reading the quote about the balls (and almost laughing out loud in my cubicle), I'm looking forward to reading the book.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anna,
    How could I forget about the pics, those were so funny and great. Well I must still have been laughing at that ball quote when I read the book.
    But yes it's a hate or laugh with book. Do read it and I hope you will smile too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP