From inexperienced young courtier to powerful Marcher lord, from loyal knight to dangerous outlaw, from lover of many women to faithful husband, Fulke's life story bursts across the page in authentic detail. A violent quarrel with Prince John, later King John, disrupts Fulke's life ambition to become 'Lord of the White Castle' and leads him to rebel. There are perils for John at every turn. No less dramatic is the dangerous love that Fulke harbours for Maude Walter, a wealthy widow whom John wants for himself. Negotiating a maze of deceit, treachery and shifting political alliances Fulke's striving is rewarded, but success is precarious. Personal tragedy follows the turbulence of the Magna Carta rebellion, culminating in the destruction of everything for which Fulke has fought. Yet even among the ashes he finds a reason to begin anew.
I sadly got disappointed again so going with format again, it makes it easier to express my thoughts at a time like this.
1. Reason you chose this book
Not that I knew it then by Fulke Fitzwarin is to believed to have been the origin of Robin Hood. I like history.
2. Reasons you liked or disliked this book
- I do not know, but it made me skim again. The first half was boring, then he was a wild outlaw and it captured my attention again and the book got good. But then again at the end it was boring and those things could have been skipped. It just told when babies came, when they married and what happened.
- It's not like I always loved her books in the past either. No, one I didn't like at all, 3 I loved, 2 I didn't enjoy that much. But that was when I was 11-14. This book just goes in the did not enjoy pile then. She has gotten much better, with research and how she writes. Here no one managed to capture my interest. The characters fell flat sometimes.
- Why was it never mentioned that Maude had children with her first husband, I would think that was a big part just to leave out like it never happened.
- But I did enjoy the outlaw parts, they were on the run, they were in Wales, and they taunted King John, who is really dislike now.
- In the end I just did not connect with anyone, and the book was just too long when I was skimming for the first 300 pages. Why did I then go on, well I still remember those books I loved before. Perhaps I just grew up, I hate to think I would feel like this if I re-read those 3 books I loved in the past.
3. Reason you are recommending this book
- Since I just found it ok I can't. But if I like all Chadwick's books then go ahead, even if I would rather recommend the newest one. Also it was fun to learn that he could have been Robin Hood.
I just feel horrible for thinking that this book is just ok. But then all authors evolve and get better.
The winners of The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick
I am late with presenting them and they might even have their books by now, lol. If not then the book will arrive next week. Enjoy :)