Thursday 4 November 2010

Review: Want to know a Secret? - Sue Moorcroft

Genre: Contemporary romance/chick-lit/fiction
Pages: 336
Published: November 2010 Choc-Lit

Money, love and family. Which matters most? When Diane Jenner's husband is hurt in a helicopter crash, she discovers a secret that changes her life. And it's all about money, the kind of money the Jenners have never had. James North has money, and he knows it doesn't buy happiness. He's been a rock for his wayward wife and troubled daughter - but that doesn't stop him wanting Diane. James and Diane have something in common: they always put family first. Which means that what happens in the back of James's Mercedes is a really, really bad idea. Or is it?

I do like Moorcroft, she keeps it real.

Plot:
Diane's husband is in a helicopter crush, and what he did in it in the first place she does not understand, until all the lies come out at once (almost all). He has been keeping some big secrets from her, and because of these secrets she meet James, loyal the core, nice, and there is something there.

My thoughts:
Like I said, Moorcroft keeps it very real, I can see all these things happening so easily. Romance is there, but it's slow, truthful and filled with doubts.
Diane thought she had it all, sure she had struggled to put food on the table, but other than that everything is ok. Until secrets come out. Her husband is a petty ass, and an egoistic swine. If he hasn't been in a crash she would surely given him what he had coming. So she is nice, he is not, and I doubt he ever was. Idiot.

Then there is James, with an alcoholic wife who he can't leave because he is afraid his depressed 20 year old daughter will become more depressed. They are both so nice and loyal, and stay in marriages that should be over. They become friends and I keep on wondering how they will become more, because these are two people that have sacrificed so much and deserved to be loved.

The lies keep on coming in this one, and I keep on reading. It was so easy to just get lost in this one, sure there is drama, and emotions all over the place, together with some serious trouble, but it doesn't get dark or anything. It keeps that feeling of reality, because humans can so easily act like idiots, and she shows it here.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
I would recommend it. To romance fans, to fiction fans, and to those who just like a good British story, they do have their ways of writing. If you are tired of world win romances, and over the top scenarios, then read this one. Big lies for sure, but also basic human emotion and feelings. It is very close to a 4, but I will still go with 3,75 for some reason I don't even know. Recommended yes, hard to put down, yes.

Reason for reading:
I have read Moorcroft before, and I enjoy her books. It feels like I am stepping out in the real world, but there is still happiness, they just have to work for it.

Cover: Simple is good sometimes

Review copy from choc-lit

32 comments:

  1. Great review! I feel attracted to this story, it feels real, and I always like a good real-life story. Also, such a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you tell it how it is reviews. I think this might be one for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting book. A lot of pain going on in the lives of the characters. I'd be interested to see how the story plays out. Plus, I love the cover! I adore dragonflies.

    Diana at
    Book of Secrets
    and
    The Forbidden Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a very deep, very intense read - awesome review, as usual. I'm definitely adding this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if this one is for me, but you've made it sound interesting. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really interesting. Good review. Going to add this one to my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irena
    She always have these very simple yet pretty covers :)
    The story was so real, I do appreciate that

    Inked
    Thanks, I am glad you like it :)

    Diana
    Can't even remember when I last saw a real dragonfly...
    Anyway yes pain, drama, lies, real life. Good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa
    It was sure emotional, people can be so petty and selfish sometimes

    Anna
    I did, I need my real fiction, that is still sweet, sometimes

    Linda
    Thanks :) I liked it, and I do wanna read more by her

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. Don't know if it's for me tho... I mean.. I have had my fill of stupid people. We just had an election here in the states. ;)

    Btw, I also love dragonflies. You should see the ones here. They land on my doberman's butt and he doesn't even notice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a real dragonfly along with some damselflies this summer - they are worth a trek to a river or a pond. I would like to read this book. You sold it to me very efficiently. I like your reviews more and more - I don't know what will become of me ;). If I find this book I'll buy it and read for sure. Any mush inside? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can handle romance like that! This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds great - excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Your review shows how much you liked this one for sure. This author is new tome. Thanks Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa
    Oh, I am sure people are gonna be stupid here too come election day, sigh, people.
    Anyway, he is just a petty idiot, and she learns to stand on her own :)
    Lol, I would think that would be something you noticed, but then he is a dog

    Ana
    I am so evil :) And nope, I would honestly say it was very nonmushy, her other books have been mushier. Here there were just more problems, sure the love is there, but with everything else happening it doesn't get that big a spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bermuda
    It's nice with some real life romance :) Especially when they still get a HEA


    Thanks Yvonne :)

    Jenny
    She is just, am I really gonna say it again..yes, real, yeesh, stop using that world, lol. I can't help, her characters are real life people with flaws

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this sounds really good to me! I love a good Brit chick lit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like British stories and this one sounds like one I would enjoy. I like the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds a lot like The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. It's a popular book but I didn't really enjoy it, though I can't really remember why anymore. Perhaps it's just because I hate reading books in which people are cheating on their spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like a movie! One with lots of drama. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds interesting! Not something I usually read. Never heard of the author before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a good romantic drama, nice review, B!

    Made me think about author Rosy Thornton and her Crossed Wires that I read not so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi B!

    I haven't read a British romance before, not that I read a lot of straight romance, you know how I love a paranormal.. but since you've said Moorcroft is so good, I'll take a peek, see what's available, stretch my reading wings... so to speak!

    Thanks for sharing another great review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amused
    The Brits just do it so differently :)

    Staci
    It's fun, it's real, and I like it

    Simcha
    Haven't read it but know the plot, that plot was not the case here. It was another secret ;)
    Not a fan of cheating either but here, between them, it worked

    Nina
    It sure had drama

    ReplyDelete
  24. Elysium
    I like it real sometimes :)

    Ladybug
    Aha, I liked the book I read by her, I should have a look at that one too

    Dottie
    I like to step out into the real world now and again, a god break from the paranormal, historical or weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, those poor people with their sad marriages :( I"m glad it all works out!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review, B! I'm curious about these secrets and how things work out in the romantic department now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carrie
    I know :( I did get sad at one point cos they were just so stuck.

    Janna
    The secrets, oh the secrets, I just can't tell you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooh, this one sounds interesting! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like the drama would kill me. I get emotional *when* things get emotional for characters I like..But at your recommendation...errrr..I will put on my maybe list.

    I love your reviews. I get all emotionally wrapped up in mine. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Book Vixen
    Thanks :)

    Redd
    Lol, that happens to me too, sometimes ;) I am so glad you like my reviews!
    But yes I can go all eeee! when there is a lot of emotional drama, I just feel so for them

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the cover and this does sound like a good romance.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP