Saturday 19 March 2011

Flash Fiction Friday entry 31

Amy C over at Romance Book Wyrm and Dottie over at Tink's Place
have come up with the idea for a Monday Morning Flash Fiction challenge. Each Monday a new picture prompt will be posted and if you choose to participate - you post your story on Friday - 350 words, give or take.

pic removed...
  
The Fighter 
by Blodeuedd


She was made for this. War made her blood sing and her she wished for nothing more. She knew how to fight, she was good and she knew that it was her path. Until…

A few years later

Lana took up the bucket of water and went back into the little cottage. She lived there alone and had so for a couple of years. Her days as a fighter in the King’s army had come to a halt when they had lost a battle that had cost the kingdom its independence. So she had left. She refused to fight for the conqueror. His name made her blood boil.

The sudden sound of a horse made her swing around. She stood still, tense and waiting, no one came to see her. Soon she saw the horse and its rider. She still did not move, not even when the man fell down. Instead she went back inside to start supper. It took some time but soon she heard knocking on the door. She had to open.

On her porch a man lay bleeding.” Help me,” he whispered and she took pity.

Funny how a life can change in a matter of minutes. Lana nursed the stranger back to life and as a woman still in her youthful prime she fell in love. She may have been a fighter but she had also longed for the simple things. Her handsome stranger never told her a lot about himself but she did not need that. She wanted only him.

The day he left she was heartbroken. He told her he would come back for her and kissed her goodbye. She waited for a week but the riders that came were not from him, instead they were from her old company and they begged their captain to return. The true king was moving in with a new army to take back the land that belonged to them. Lana knew that it was her duty so she took out her trusted sword and rode into battle.

The Siege of Dunmore Castle was long and bloody. When they finally broke through the gates they knew that victory was at hand. Soon they would kill the usurper and the country would be free. Lana moved like a dancer throughout the streets and the blood dripped from her clothes.

The king was ahead and she braved on. Soon he would fall by her sword. She killed his guards, and without even looking at him she put his sword through his chest.

“Lana.”
She looked up and her heart died.
“Gareth.” She looked down on the sword and then up at him. “No,” she whispered as he fell back.




--------------


Haha yes the end ;)

28 comments:

  1. B,

    Good grief - that was devastating. But what a great story.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wasn't expecting that ending! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOO! Darn you... I want my HEA! *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow blod, great story! shocking ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait a sec...why he had been injured before? Why nobody looked for him? Why he didn't tell her the truth? Why he didn't want to make her his queen?

    Nice story but somehow improbable - you would have to add some detail to make me believe it.

    Now you can beat me my lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana
    Lol, I had 350 words ;) But ok only for you my friend, I will come up with something.

    He was injured in an ambush, but got away. People looked for him but she lived far away from anything since she didn't want people around. He meant to come back after her, but then the true king came back. So he sent a rider to her but she was gone. He did not tell her the truth because he also knew that he would have to fight for her. She was a nobody and he was a king after all.

    What do you think? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle
    You know me, I had to go and kill someone at the end. It has been a while. But oh no! The fluffy bunnies are telling me that they are not dead after all o_O

    Darlene
    I fear I love a good twist at the end

    Thanks FV :D

    Chris
    I know, I am evil

    Melissa
    I got sad too now..perhaps magic can save them..

    Naida
    Thank you :D

    Thanks Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nooooooooooooooooo!

    You're evil. But then again evil geniuses create the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been way too long since you've done one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was wonderful - are you an aspiring writer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!! The ending got me .

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now it's a lot better, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hihi, thank you Missie. It is fun to be evil

    Jenny
    I have actually done them every week..but on my other blog ;)

    Thanks Mishel :D

    Patti
    I would sure like to be

    Thanks Jules :D

    Marie
    I try my best :)

    Ana
    Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl..you are talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my. Great story. :) I think I need to check into this picture writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww thanks Staci :D

    Melissa
    Please join us :D It's so much fun

    Thanks Liz

    Thank you Misha :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly didn't see that ending coming. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG. How cruel are you? You coulda kept going but nooooooo!

    It was soooooo good! *sighs* You torture me sometimes. *thunks head on desk*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi B!

    As always, powerful!! Excellently done! I was so totally not expecting the ending!! So sad... yet so good!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Redd
    Thanks :D I am so happy to hear that, lol, that sounds weird. But I am glad you liked it

    Dottie
    You know me by now ;) Now why do I always do that? *shakes head* Cos it's fun

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP