Monday 14 March 2011

Review: By Midnight - Mia James

April Dunne is not impressed. She's had to move from Edinburgh to Highgate, London, with her parents. She's left her friends - and her entire life - behind. She has to start at a new school and, worst of all, now she's stuck in a creepy old dump of a house which doesn't even have proper mobile phone reception. Ravenwood, her new school, is a prestigious academy for gifted (financially or academically) students - and the only place her parents could find her a place, in the middle of term, in the middle of London, on incredibly short notice. So she's stuck with the super-rich, and the super-smart, and trying to fit in is when the rest of the students seem to be more glamorous, smarter, or more talented than she is, is more than tough. It's intimidating and isolating, even when she finds a friend in the conspiracy-theorist Caro Jackson - and perhaps finds something more than friendship in the gorgeous, mysterious Gabriel Swift. But there's more going on at Ravenwood than meets the eye. Practical jokes on new students are normal, but when Gabriel saves her from  something in the Highgate Cemetery, and then she discovers that a murder took place, just yards away from where she had been standing, April has to wonder if something more sinister is going on and whether or not she's going to live through it .

My thoughts:
This book is a paranormal YA romance with mystery thrown in. April Dunne is the heroine who has move and go to a new school. Filled with rich kids and smart ones. Perhaps it could have been like a normal school if the in crowd had not paid so much attention to her, and murders happened in the neighbourhood.

April was smart kid, she questioned things, but of course she was also a girl and young. Which means crush time. There are some hotties around, but she is more interested in Gabriel who act all mysteriously. And of course I knew what he would turn out to be, even if it takes a real long time for the truth to come out. As for Gabriel, he was very sweet and protective.

This book has its doomed romance between April and Gabriel, but mostly it's about all the other things going on. Strange things are going on, her dad is also investigating the school and cemetery and he is on to something. I am just gonna go out and say it since you get it already in the prologue, vampires. But the truth to what on earth is going on takes its fair time, and then at the end, of course that is when it gets really thrilling. One part of the mystery I can't mention, but it's shocking.

There was one other thing that I sort of guessed, I was right, just not entirely about what it meant, and it was one good secret. And again, you just have to read to see.

Conclusion.
I think this one would be good for the YA crowd. It has got romance, mystery, vampires, secrets and more secrets. It will keep you guessing.

Rating:
Ok

Cover:
It does look nice

Reason for reading: 
Sounded good

Info:
Series: Ravenwood 1
Genre: Paranormal, YA, romance, mystery
Pages: 448
Publisher: Gollancz, Feb 10th 2011 (hardback 2010)


30 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot about this book. I might give it a try. I like mysteries but haven't read any with paranormal romance in it.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd enjoy this book for the paranormal aspects. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B,

    Nice review. :)

    It still amazes me the sheer number of YA books that are available today. If only I'd had those when I was growing up...LOL

    The girl on the cover reminds me of Mila Kunis - that actress from That 70's Show and lately, the movie Black Swan. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not into YA much, but this one sounds ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe, maybe not. YA romances can be so repetitive.

    The cover is lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this cover but I'm just not into YA. Glad you enjoyed this one Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cover, but the story itself just isn't calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi! new GFC follower! love the blog and i'm excited to read more of your posts! gorgeous cover!

    follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a good YA paranormal. It always amazes me how many books you read and review...very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Misha
    Of course I liked the paranormal the bet, lol, but that is me. The mystery was really nice too cos it did not take over completely.

    @Irena
    That was the good thing about the book for sure

    @Michelle
    I know, I am so jealous! I mean there was 1 or 2 around when I was younger, not kidding you. And that was not that long ago. But today, so many good ones to read.
    I am glad that I was not the only one seeing Mila there

    @Aurian
    I like YA now and again, they are so sweet.

    @Ana
    So true, well I can't win you over too many times in a row can I ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @VFG
    I get that, not for all :)

    @Carol
    The cover is nice, and very YA too :)

    Hi Lindsay :D Thanks for stopping by!

    @Mishel
    I do love covers too much, lol

    @Naida
    Well..there is a reason, first I have always been a fast reader, and I am unemployed. So kind of reading and reading, and reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha! Doomed romances are the best.

    I hadn't heard of this book before hun, but your review was very entertaining. Not sure if I have time for books that rate okay, but I'm glad to see a review up for YA in the mix with your Adult titles. You remind me of someone cool.... oh yeah! MEEEEEEE!!!

    *lix*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not huge into YA..but this one sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frustrating when you realise what's going on from the start.

    Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though this seems to have a fairly straightforward YA premise, I like that you were still shocked in some aspects, that means it's at least unique in some ways:) I'm a huge paranormal YA fan, so I think I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds good to me and I do like the cover - it does grab your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish my teen read b/c this one sounds like a book she would really enjoy. Maybe they will make a movie of it that I can take her to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cover is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmmmm I dont know about this one =/ Great review though hon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hm... I'll have to think about this one. Might be just the thing when I just want something nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this looks like a cool read. :) And YA is great for me too. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. *waves feebly*
    Darn Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous review! I really enjoy YA and vampire books so I might have to check this one out as a fun light read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Missie
    Lol, thanks! It has been some time now again since I read a YA book, I do try but since I buy and get mostly adult books they get left behind

    @Mandi
    They are nice to read now again. I guess I am all for the easy and light books lately

    @Elysium
    Then again I am a pretty good guesser, I always know what is gonna happen in movies and on tv

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Jenny
    I so wish I could give you all a spoiler and say it..but can't! But yes shocking, and I liked that it managed that

    @Darlene
    Just what a good cover should do :D

    @Dc
    Perhaps you can get her to start reading done day. It sure is a fun hobby

    @Yvonne
    It sure is

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Larissa! :)

    @Melissa
    I always think about books..for months ;)

    @Melissa2
    Lol, the melissas always manage to come in after each other.
    Anyway, have a look at it :)

    @Chris
    Bleh, tell me about it

    @Deanna
    Check it out :) You never know

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the review! It's my first time hearing about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. sounds like its only ok. i do like the cover though!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jenny
    I am glad yo have brought it to your attention

    Carrie
    Great cover indeed :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP