Wednesday 23 March 2011

Review: Breaking the Governess's Rules - Michelle Styles

How delightful to meet you again, Miss Louisa Sibson.’ Jonathon, Lord Chesterholm’s eyes bored holes into Louisa Sibson’s back.

The former fiancée he’s thought dead is very much alive…
Louisa has rebuilt her life, after being dishonourably dismissed from her post as governess for allowing Jonathon to seduce her. Now Louisa lives by a rulebook of morals and virtue – the devastating Lord Chesterholm will not ruin her again! But Jonathon will get to the bottom of Louisa’s disappearance – and he’ll enjoy breaking a few of her rules along the way…!

My thoughts:
A short light book. First we have Louisa, a former governess who now live by strict rules. She had her heart broken by the love of her life and she left the country. But little by little old Louisa comes back. Then we have Jonathon who loved Louisa and meant to marry her. In comes treachery, he was told she was dead. They meet again and he wants  her back. But trust is hard to earn back.

I did like Louisa, I understood her rules. Jonathon had grown too during the lost years, and I did enjoy how much he wanted to marry her even if she was a nobody. Then we have the wicked stepmother who told them both different lies. But it's nice to have some sort of bad guy.

Most of the book takes place at a houseparty. Jonathon wants to get to the bottom of thing and tries to approach her slowly. Louisa tries to stand her ground but passion can't be tamed. Then we have the other guest. A wannabe matchmaker, and the couple she wants to put together. There is also a plot about a recent robbery and about who let the thief in.

It was a cute little story about two people that had been terribly hurt by lies. They blame each other too, and they do have a reason for that. But true love will always conquer.

Conclusion:
A sweet novel, short too and you can read it fast.

Rating:
Nice

Cover: 
Ok

Reason for reading:
Won it

Info:
Genre: historical romance
Pages: 304
Published: 2011
Publisher: Mills and Boon
Source: Won at Goodreads first reads




30 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author but I'm likin' the hodge podge of plot arcs you've mentioned in your review, Blodeuedd. This sounds like a fun read and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read some books of Michelle Styles, her Vikings and a story set in the Regency period. I like her writing, she always managed to throw me back in time immediately, this sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a cute story! I like stories with governesses, especially when there is romance involved.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... sounds like an ordinary plot... but how about the story telling quality? How compelling is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fairy tale is sometimes so needed - nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember if I have read her work before, the name is familiair. This one sounds nice. I like governess-tales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would think that having most of the story take place during a house party would make it slow...with it being in one place. Was it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love a light romance! this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds sweet. A light romance can be the perfect read sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Mills and Boons. I haven't read one of those in years. Nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute story to win! Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @VFG
    I so need light this week and since it's Mills and Boon ;) Well lightness ahoy

    @Marissa
    I did see over at Goodreads that she has written so many books. I did have a look at her viking ones ;)

    @Irena
    New photo :)
    There is just something about governesses, can't put my finger on it

    @Cherry
    What to say, I mean it wasn't amazing, no intend to dis the author. It was normal, it worked, it was light, and cute. kind of what I wanted right then

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ana
    Especially this week. Not reading as much as I usually do ;)

    @Aurian
    She has written quite a few so perhaps you have come across her before

    @Jenny
    I wouldn't say that, and ok let's see---well it did take a while for the story to move over to the house. So it starts somewhere else. But honestly there was the same tone over that part too. Still it never was dull

    @Carrie
    Sometimes that is needed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary
    It sure can, and you can never go wrong with Mills and Boon

    Alyssa
    It was nice :)

    Vivienne
    I never read them when growing up, it was the Harlequin ones I found. But then there isn't that big a difference ;)

    Janna
    It was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cover is a total flashback to the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hm... sounds like a fun historical romance. I might have to check out this author! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes I just want a quick read where I know all the problems will be nicely resolved and everyone will have a happy ending:) Those types of reads always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a nice, quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, yes, I love Mills and Boon/Harlequin books. Good to know you enjoyed this one! I have her Viking books in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not much of a romance reader. But the book sounds like a light, fast-paced read - exactly what I need right now :D
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A historical romance with a houseparty! Woot! There is nothing like good line dancing. :D

    It is nice to get lost in a story where true love conquers all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm almost burnt out on romance but I'm glad that you enjoyed it and that it was a fast read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chris
    Ahh the good old 80s ;)

    Melissa
    Go have a look, there is a lot to choose from

    Jenny
    I sure know the feeling, a clean HEA, no cliffhanger in sight. And this HEA, there was even an epilogue and a total perfect second conclusion

    Yvonne
    It was :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Diana
    I am looking forward to your review of those one day then :)

    Misha
    They are good to have there, in case of an emergency :)

    Missie
    I like 2nd chances, and yes a good houseparty :D

    Staci
    Oh no! Quickly read something else

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! I love how it has the aspect of a love that was lost in some form to be reintroduced a few years later with some many questions and hurt but still has that passion. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds like a nice story, I enjoy historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Deanna
    It's something I like, well it depends on how they parted, and here it was no ones fault so I liked it

    Naida
    They are nice to read now and again

    ReplyDelete
  28. That cover definitely screams romance to me but your review doesnt make it seam overly steamy so I think I could handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never read anything from the author but I like the plot and romance!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP