Sunday 6 March 2011

Review: The Cold Kiss of Death - Suzanne McLeod

All Genny wants is to live the quiet life and to do her job at Spellcrackers.com but there's her tangled personal life to sort out first. She's being haunted by ghosts who want her help. Her witch neighbours want her evicted. Genny's sort-of-Ex - and now her new boss - can't decide whether he wants their relationship to be business or pleasure now he knows all her darkest secrets. And then there's the queue of vampires all wanting her to paint the town red. But when one of her human friends is murdered by sidhe magic, Genny is determined to find the killer. Her efforts to find the real murderer lead her to some of the most dangerous and seductive fae. Then when all the evidence points to Genny - she's the only sidhe fae in London - and she's named the main suspect; it's not long before she's on the run - and not just from the police - but from some of London's most powerful supernaturals.

My thoughts:
The series continues being good, and in this I finally have answers. Anyway Genny still has a lot of problems, witches, a cop who doesn't like her,  all the vampires in London that wants to suck her yummy fairy blood, Finn, her boss who wants to be more than friends and then something is going on with the Fae cos they want her now too. As you can see, problems! Not to mention being hunted for murder. What a juicy tale it is.

I like Genny, she is a bit messed up cos of her past where she was meant to be married to an evil vampire at 14 and then fled, but first after being infected by the vampire virus. Then there is the fact that she is actually half vampire/half sidhe. I do wonder when the vampire that was meant to have her will show up. Exciting stuff ahead.

Her love life is kind of non-existent. There is Finn, yes I like him horns and hairy legs and all. But then there is the vampire Malik, he is just so so, oh I am weak and I like him the best. But in this one Tavish, a kelpie got introduced, and I hope to see more of him too. What is going to happen is anyone's guess.

There is action and drama. Finding the real killer, staying out of everyone's way, evil witches, ghosts, her borrowed self Rosa, oh you never have a dull moment reading this book. It kept me guessing until the end. Who is really after her?

Conclusion:
Great urban fantasy that I do recommend. Great world building, lots of Fae, trolls and more. A bit of sexual tension, and questions to be answered. Nice London setting and when I finished I wanted book 3..which I will read later this week ;)

Reason for reading:
I needed more!

Cover:
Meh

Rating:
Refreshing UF


Series: Spellcrackers 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 352
Published: Gollancz 2010

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like she just can't catch a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *g* YAY!!! Now you have to read book 3!!! *g*
    I'm so happy you liked this book too.
    I really enjoyed the whole 'Rosa' part of the plot.
    Poor Genny has 3 smexy guys in her life and still no lovelife. I love Finn but I also came to love Tavish and Malik. *sigh*
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must start this series. Every time I see Suzanne's name come up, I have the urge to get hold of the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start reading this serie! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh oh, non existent love life i might not like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is still good...I am not sure about the rest. The second one was worse than the first installment...oh well don't listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Chris
    Poor thing, she does have it tough. I can't wait to see what book 3 holds

    @Caro
    I certainly must, luckily I am got smart and have it ready ;) Cos else I would just have driven myself insane waiting.
    Malik is the guy for me, sure Finn is nice, but I guess I love the bad boys. And Tavish, dunno, the way she described him, freaky kelpie and all, I just fell hard

    @Vivienne
    Yay, oh please have a look at them :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Elysium
    So fun to see it set in London, I just love it

    @Carrie
    Sadly yes, but there is sexual tension and plenty of it

    @Ana
    I am not ;) It was great :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it might get complicated with all the "possible" love interests. Can't wait to hear about the third book from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Blodeuedd Yeah...Malik slowly grew on me. Suzanne really made me like the 3 of them, they all have their appeal =P
    Wooot that was very wise of you! Book 3 was my favorite in the series. Some scenes make me go all 'O_O Oh no you didn't!!!' *g*
    I can't believe we have to wait a whole year for next book. *sigh* I tried bribing Suzanne for info but her mouth is locked lol. Evil author torturing me *wink*

    Have fun with the book =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, this looks like a good series I need. Love UF and half vamp/have fae looks interesting. Yep. I need them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like a good series with a nice setting. I like when a book keeps me guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're on such a roll with this genre and that's great...I like the sound of this series and that cover is pretty cool!! Sexual tension is almost always a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review hon!

    I need to check out this series! the covers do put me off, but the books sound cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have book 1 in my TBR pile but never really got around to reading it until it got piled up with more books and now it is at the bottom... I was wondering though, does it have cliffhanger ending?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I'm familiar with this series, it definitely sounds interesting though. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She sounds like a tough cookie. I mean marrying a evil vampire at 14, yeah that will make you bitter. ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a great series & love the fact that it is set in London (I guess with the upcoming royal wedding I am into all things British)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @caro
    I saw that and went all NOOOO! The wait will be pure torture. Well at least I was smart enough to have book 3 at hand and if that one is the best...can't wait :D I would have wanted to start it at once, but good things come to those that wait. I do not wanna overdose on the series :)

    @Jenny
    I will keep you informed on her lovelife ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Melissa
    I agree, this is a series that you need :D

    Thanks Yvonne!

    @Naida
    This one sure did the trick, but I love to guess, it makes me wanna read the whole thing at once

    @Staci
    I just love UF :D Some are great, some are good, and some are ok, and in the end that is all good in my book :D

    @Larissa
    Do not let those covers fool you, just pick up a book and start reading

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Cherry
    Nope, no cliffhanger :) That is how a book should be, those pesky cliffhangers make me nervous

    @Simcha
    DO have a look at it, it's fun :D

    @Nina
    Not an easy life at all, but she is working through it

    @DC
    Gotta love London :D So fun to see a series set there

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aaaa!! I need to start this series. I have the first book here, but I need to get to it. Thanks for the great review! It makes me want to read it all that much more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had this on my TBR list forever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melissa
    Read it!!!!! :D

    Bookdout
    I am sure you will like it too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP