Sunday 3 July 2011

Book Review: Heartless - Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate #4
Genre: Steampunk
Pages: 374
Published: June 2011

Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant. Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?

My thoughts:
What is it that I love most about these books? Oh I will tell you, it is because the characters are all so witty and their manners are impeccable. I love the horror when someone does something wrong, like coming to a party in a visiting gown *gasp of horror*. That is why these books rock.

And yes yes it is because of Alexia too. She is the perfect heroine. No soul, all etiquette and how she calls her unborn child the infant-inconvenience. I also love how she adores her oh so sexy werewolf husband Lord Maccon.

And the secondary characters, I love those. Lord Akeldama has become more and more my favourite. I had to warm up to him and he is just the best, lol. And poor Biffy! Ivy is her usual self, not a fan of Madame Lefoux, and who else, oh yes Alexia's sister joins the suffragette movement. I know, shocking! Sit down and have some tea while the shock wears off.

The book has a plot to kill the queen and Alexia is on the case. You will see evil porcupines, learn a tiny bit more about her dad, be invited to tea and see Alexia fight evil with her parasol. All good times.

Conclusion:
I finished this book in a day (much thanks to internet disappearing to my horror, and thunder rolling over the house all day long). But even without all that it is a bit you just read at once. It is funny and a series that should be read.

I need a quote!
".., he actually went around in their room barefoot! Once - and only once, mind you - he even attempted to join her for tea in such a state. Impossible man. Alexia put a stop to that posthaste."

Rating:
Read the series

Cover
I hate it :/


........................................


My last post for Stella over @Ex Libris. This time a joint review of the graphic novel Secrets, Monsters and magic Mirrors



36 comments:

  1. There are four parts to this series?! I have the first two on my wishlist; I am really curious about it since everyone has been talking about it.
    Impeccable manners and witty characters are right up my alley haha. LOl at that quote. What a crime to walk bare-feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the one you read in a day! I must check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Misha
    Oh yes, and I think the 5th is supposed to be the last.
    I know, bare-feet! I would just die! *looks down at her own bare-feet* ;)

    @Cherry
    I do recommend it

    @Vivienne
    Hihi, yes I started reading it when I opened my bookdepo parcel :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this series. I must place it on my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read the first one, but Lord Akeldama was my favorite of all. And I agree about the witty writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, fun review! Makes me want tome tea :-) I didn't love the first book in this series- it was fun, but I don't think I'll be seeking out all the rest. Glad you're a fan, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a great day for reading. i have the first one but never get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought this book yesterday!!! Glad to see you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the middle of this one now and I'm just not as into it as I was the earlier books. I especially find that none of them are as good as the first one. There seems to be a lot of flowery talk and not enough substance. I'm really disappointed, though, how the whole thing between Maccon and Alexia (where he publicly humiliates and rejects her) was just shrugged aside as if it was of no importance when it should actually have had a strong impact on their marriage. I'm now just kind of meh about the series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous, I love the series as well (and here you go, we sometimes do happen to like the same books, don't we?)! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear this book's a good one. I agree about Alexia: she's a perfect heroine and protagonist, and the whole cast is so addictive. Really, it's the characters I love most about this series...they just come alive!

    Yep, the book's definitely not the best of the lot. But I am a fan of the cover model, who created the costume for all five books. It is my mission in life to one day own one of her steampunk designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great series. I have the first book on my bookshelf that is still waiting to be read by me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the first book but haven't read it yet. Have to do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this series yet... shocked? ;) I have the first 2 on my tbr waiting for me.

    Yes, the covers aren't as creative as they were. However, so glad that i'm adding this to my wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Deanna
    You must you must! It's such a fun series.

    @Steph
    I love witty, that is so the bes part. And Akeldama, awww, you just have to love him

    £@Aarti
    Oh I am a fan, it fitted me perfectly. Too bad you were not swept away, but hey at least it makes you want some tea, lol

    @Carrie
    I hope you like it when you do get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Patti
    YAY :D I was happy when I got it, and read it at once ;)




    @Simcha
    Well I agree with you there. No none of them are as good as the first one. Book 2 was cos of the suspense, book 3 was a bit of a let down but this one was good again. Thought not book 1 good. Do not bring up that! *hides* I still despise him for it *grinds teeth*

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Ana
    For some reasons it do happens now and again. Yay for when it do happen that. And I hope you get it soon too!!!




    @ALisha
    The characters are absolutely fabulous. I love the cast she has come up with. Oh now it makes me wanna see a movie with them! That would be so fun.

    She did? Ok the dress is fine, but the hear, the oh so fake background. In the other ones she fitted in but here not at all. It looks silly

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Jenny
    Read it!! :D Lol



    @Elysium
    Same to you, go read it ;)



    @Melissa
    Good...are you still here? Go read the book lol

    But yes something is missing, and the next cover looks the same

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still haven't read a steampunk book but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this series - but was waiting to picking Heartless up in store when I saw it as I have some vouchers to spend. But I was away this weekend so not had the chance yet... :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only read the first book so I need to do some catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your love for this series has convinced me that I WILL read them this year...at least the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say Gail Carriger is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Yvonne
    You really should try one :)



    @Mel
    Oh no :/ Well I hope you can pick it up soon!! Cos yes great series



    @Karen
    It's always good to have many before you if you come across a cliffhanger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Staci
    Lol, I do hope you read book 1



    @Chris
    Haha yes!



    @Lis
    She sure is

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've got to read this series sounds so fun. The 'infant inconvenience' made me laugh...but I'm not sure why since that isn't a very nice thing to say!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Blodeuedd, how big a part is the steampunk? The rest sounds fun, but steampunk just puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Alyssa
    Lol, I know ;) But from her it sure is funny.


    @Aurian
    Hm..how to explain, well in the end not that big. Sure there are zombie robot porcupines and a giant octopus, but that tends to be it..oh in book 4. So not much steam in the the end

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never read steampunk and I'm not really drawn to it, but I really want to read these books. I'm just drawn to them because of their covers. I know that sounds shallow, but that's how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need to read this series! I keep hearing good things.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bermuda
    Lol, you are not shallow cos I am sure the same way ;)

    Naida
    Yes try it :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice review! I haven't read this book yet, but I've read all the others in the series so far. I mostly agree with you about which characters I like and dislike...and I also hate this cover! The first three looked so cool, but this one is awful. When I first saw it online, I thought it was a joke!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Christina
    I know! I first saw it after they had made those mock covers so I thought haha good one but then I realized it was the real one! o_O The next one is just as bad

    ReplyDelete
  34. totally agree that this book was awesome as is the whole series... but this cover, Ugh!!! =/

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP