Monday 4 July 2011

Review: Cameo the Assassin - Dawn McCullough-White

Series: The Cameo Series 1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: Ebook 200
Published: 2009
Review by Lis

The Kingdom of Sieunes is rife with taverns, dirty streets, and clay pipe smoking citizens all toiling to feed their families and keep themselves in something little better than rags. With a foiled revolution just ten years prior still burning in the hearts of many, the royals enlist the aid of assassins to keep things in order. The townsfolk entertain themselves by dreaming of better times to come and regaling in stories of the undead said to walk the graveyards at night... and of Cameo the killer with corpse-like eyes...

Scarred and jaded Cameo is one of the most effective assassins in the employ of the Association, moving from one mission to the next as long as the alcohol keeps flowing. Her acceptance of the murder-for-hire lifestyle is thrown into doubt when she meets a local highwayman with a penchant for fine clothes and women, and then she begins to think about breaking with the company but no one ever breaks with the Association under good terms.


 -----------------------

Lady Gaga sings proudly: I was born this way. However, that doesn’t apply to all. Some people are “made this way.” Of course, Gaga sings about sexual orientation rather than live in general. Cameo, our main heroine is one woman who is a victim of circumstance and ‘made this way.’ She lives the The Kingdom of Sieunes where a failed revolution still lives in the heart of the people. People who are controlled royals who enlist the help of assassins to keep their rule. Cameo is one such assassin. It’s not a profession she chose to be in. In a sense she is a victim or rape, abuse, the supernatural and men in general. It has left her dead, quite literally actually. She was brought back, but no longer human. With her white eyes, she’s scary as hell and good at her job. So good, in fact, people tell scary stories about her. Propbably not something she wanted in life, but got anyway. So she does her job and the rest of the time she spends in an alcohol induced haze. 

That is until she is held up by highwaymen: Black Opal, who is scarred but has a love for women and women’s clothes and Bellamy a jack of all trades who turned criminal. Besides Cameo, both men play an important role in this story. In a way they are the opposite of Cameo. Where she has no choice, they do. They form an unlikely trio. The boys make her question everything and a wanted fugitive to boot. Together they must face challenges and come out whole at the end. 

What I liked first and foremost about this book were the scarred, imperfect characters. They are not your everyday characters. While there are plenty scarred and abused character in the world of books, you haven’t ever met them like Cameo, Opal and Bellamy. Their characters not only have depth but are intricate and round. In a way I found this more a character driven story than a plot driven story. The story itself is alright, but a bit weird of sorts. There are adventures, but never a clear focus as to where it was going. There was no goal to the story itself. 

As the first in a series, this story is not spectacular but most definitely not bad either. It’s something of an acquired taste, I’d say. For a self-published book, the writing and editing is not bad. It is definitely a good start. 





23 comments:

  1. What an interesting read. The gir on the cover reminds me of some actress can't remember her name. Darn it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your intro born vs. made! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love character driven stories like this one. So I don't mind that there is no goal to the story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I am a sucker for angsty heroes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have a soft spot for scarred, imperfect characters. So much more fun to read about. Thanks, Lis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of the books I couldn't get to, but did like the premise. Glad that it is a decent book! Thanks Lis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scared and imperfect characters are just like me so I love them insanely in any fiction work I can grab. Thanks for a great review Lis - as always it was a pleasure to be introduced to a series by you! Say what you might but Blodeuedd attracts great reviewers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting sounding book. Not sure it's for me though - I like my charatcers to have chosen their own path a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of this before but sounds interesting. Went to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of these characters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not into character driven books, I like a great plot better. So no, not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Lis for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Liz
    Hm...nope and I can't even see it now


    DC
    It was good :)


    @Misha
    I think I once had a conversation about how I do not like character driven stories. but who knows


    @Cherry
    Lol


    @Steph
    They do seem to have more to offer


    @Melissa
    That happens :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ana
    Awww you flatterer you :D I try my best


    @Mel
    I might just feel the same


    @Elysium
    Nice to hear


    @Alyssa
    :)


    @Aurian
    Ok made my mid up, yes plot for me too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like Cameo has had a tough life and one that I would like to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds interesting but I am not necessarily sure it's my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like real characters too...this one sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny
    Tough life indeed

    Amused
    It does look like it acquire a taste for it

    Staci
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all the sweet comments guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cover looks really creepy but the book sounds very interesting. Glad to hear that you did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice review by Lis. I like the Gaga reference. Sometimes I'm weary of self-published books, but I do give them a try as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks all for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP