Tuesday 26 July 2011

Review: Bring it close - Helen Hollick

Series: Sea Witch Chronicles 3
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 386
Published: June 2011 (2009)

Jesamiah Acorne, Captain of the Sea Witch, has accepted a government granted amnesty, but old enemies do not forget the past. In particular Edward Teach - better known as Blackbeard - has a bone to pick with Acorne. Following an indiscretion with an old flame, Jesamiah finds his fiancée Tiola Oldstagh has gone to North Carolina to help with an imminent and difficult birth; the problem, that is where Blackbeard now resides. He must not discover that Tiola is Jesamiah s woman, she will have to hide her identity and her gift of Craft from the black-hearted pirate who has sold his soul to the devil. With Sea Witch damaged and himself wounded by Blackbeard, Jesamiah has to take stock of his situation at his old home in Virginia - but trouble follows him like a ship s wake and he is arrested for acts of piracy on the High Seas. Too much trouble has come too close! How is Jesamiah Acorne to clear his name and overturn a sentence of hanging, keep Tiola safe, put an end to Blackbeard and deal with being haunted by the ghost of his father? 

My thoughts:
Oh Jesamiah you really should learn to keep it in your pants. Though I still do not hate him, despise him a bit yes, but not hate since Hollick is just too good making her point.

Lots happened on the last book. Jesamiah came back alive from his spying trip, he learnt new truths about his family, his brother was not his brother at all. And now he is happy but bored since he is not a pirate any more. Of course then things goes to hell when Alicia, his brother's wife and former whore shows up and Jesamiah, oh you know. Tiola leaves and he goes after her. This book also deals with pirates again and the darker sides as the attention moves to Virginia and North Carolina where Blackbeard can be found. Jesamiah is going to deal with him once and for all.

Here we finally meet real pirates. Bloodthirsty men who rape, kill and torture without a second thought. They are real pirates and they should be feared. I am not saying Jesamiah is a choir boy, no he has done bad things but there is still good in him. Blackbeard on the other hand is a crazy psychopath and Hollick has made Jesamiah a part of his story.

This book is also a bit darker as many will suffer direct and indirect at the hands of pirates.

But there is still adventure to be had and we learn more about Tiola's craft, as she is a witch sent to guard against the dark. Poor Tethys is not around much, but instead we have the ghost of Jesamiah's father telling his story.

And do not worry about him being unfaithful, it is written in a way that it makes sense, and I am sure Tiola will kick some sense in him ;)

Conclusion:
The book will promise you adventure, evil pirates, tragic love stories and witchcraft. So be prepared for a  wild pirate adventure.


This is not the end though. Book 4 will finally be published for the first time later this year and book 5 is on its way too. 




And that is the end of the first part of the blogtour on this blog. But stay tuned! Tomorrow I have Helen over and I will also be giving away book 1 and since it is an e-copy it will be open to all :D


-----------------------------------------------

Come say hi as I am over at another blog today with a guest review of Finding Destiny by Jean Johnson


The slave...Chanson, a privileged Arbran dyara, discovers an unexpected connection with the excitingly different Eduor, a bracingly sexy war-slave who desires his freedom.

The knight...The Arbran diplomat Sir Zeilas must turn the Guildaran people from former enemies into allies. But in the case of their intriguingly beautiful leader, perhaps something more intimate is in order.

The mage...Gabria never expected to become a Guildaran envoy to Aurul. But the most stunning surprise was what waited for her in His Majesty's winter palace-and why.

The pirate...Captain Ellett would do anything for his king-even hunt down the pirates plaguing the Jenodan Isles. But he never counted on the seductive powers of the pirate's captain-beautiful, tempestuous, and impossible to resist.

30 comments:

  1. So Jesamiah still hasn't learned control? :D No wonder Tiola leaves.

    For some reason the idea of bloodthirsty pirates seems exciting to me. Witches, adventure and pirates - very compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laugh* In this one Jesamiah realises he's made a big mistake - I suppose I could have written Jesamiah's character as a faithful stay-at-home, but then, what would be the point? That would mean the rest of us wouldn't stand a chance for his attention!
    (Think Jack Sparrow here.... the faithless rogue. Surely you wouldn't want him settled with just one woman? Would you? Really? *laugh*)
    But have no fear, eventually, somewhere in the series, Tiola will sort Jesamiah out.... maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit the more I read your reviews of this series the more interested I am! I love the idea of high seas, pirates, witches, and even a bad guy who can't quite control himself...will be back tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I'm really curious about this series because I'm having such a hard time based on your reviews feeling like I could feel anything but completely put off by this guy and his man-whorish ways:) Seems like somehow he is imbued with characteristics that make him worthy of redemption though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen
    I did like that you kept it real. He was just a man and even though I wanted to scream pox on you I just could not. He just did not see that it was wrong. Of course I was bloody happy at the end though when he started to understand ;)

    Lol, I actually do not like Sparrow at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh, i don't think i can read another one where i despise the hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I may have to give this series a chance. I may have caught my husband's pirate obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear, I think a few of you have got slightly the wrong view of Jesamiah! :-(

    He's been a pirate for almost ten years, with no family outside of his crewmates - then out of the blue he meets Tiola. Part of the point of the story is him beginning to realise that its NOT a good idea to sleep around, that being with other women was a part of his old life, and now he's found Tiola he doesn't need other women.
    Except things happen to confuse the issue....
    He sleeps with another woman in Pirate Code, for instance, because he actually thinks that Tiola has rejected him and gone back to her husband (yes she is married t another - for a reason, I hastily add)and in Bring It Close, Jesamiah's old flame is the cause of the trouble. She has an agenda of her own and seduces Jesamiah (who is a bit worse the wear for drink) and that is the start of Jesamiah realising he has to change his ways.

    I will divulge that by the start of Voyage Four, Ripples In The Sand, Jesamiah has stayed faithful.
    The thing is.... he thinks Tiola is in love with someone else, so will he be tempted to stray because he thinks she has broken his heart...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose I could add, relationships are complex. Not always as black and white as we would like - hence the fascination of fiction, because it is interesting to see how characters sort out their various problems - or not, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm... I don't know. I'm so on the fence with this series. On one hand evil pirates sound interesting. On the other... would I want to kick Jesamiah through the pages of the book and time? Hm... Such a good review tho!

    Off to your other review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pirate captured my interest. I like my hero on the darkside *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL The first line of your review contains some wise words – and the first I’ve seen in a book blog! Men in general should learn to keep it in their pants. The author seems very forgiving of her bad boy hero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, I did laugh at the first line of your thoughts! I would like to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, It's so fun to see you tearing through this series! I like that Jesamiah's character represents what was true in that time. Hell, there are still men like that in modern day.

    And what an engaging author! I read her responses from yesterday. So awesome!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How will you remember all this so you can read the 4th and 5th books?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. Sounds like it takes a dark turn. But that isn't always a bad thing. And he needs to learn to keep his pants on, huh. ;D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your first sentence cracked me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was sold at evil pirates haha fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How many books do you think will the Sea Witch Chronicles have?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds always better and better :)
    If it's a historical book then I won't mind the guy with whorish way but if it would be present day story then I would me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cherry - I plan at least six
    the next three Voyages are:
    Ripples In The Sand
    On the Account
    Gallows Wake

    and there may be another four, making ten in all. That depends on how popular the series becomes!

    Elysium - I agree with you. I think I am OK with infidelity in a man if it is a historical setting (mainly because historically, infidelity was not regarded as much as an issue as it is now) but in a modern setting? Probably not - although it would depend on the type of book and the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review Blodeuedd, I am curious about this series, and off to read the other reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Carrie
    No no, it is all good despising (dang mean to change that word) and I get over it. it is not his fault


    Carol
    They are great ;)


    Melissa
    Sure I would like to kick him a few times but that is mostly for not sitting down and talking. The whole whoring thing, not so much


    Leontine
    Then I am sure he would be the pirate for you


    Steph
    Lol, see there I go again with a nice intro. I should think of them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vivienne
    Hihi, I am glad it cracked you up


    Missie
    So true, and the thing is that if this was a modern book I would throw it at the floor. But back then, it works. It just does.

    So fun that she is around :D Trying to save poor Jesamiah now when I made you all believe he is the devil


    Chris
    Lol, my mind is a minefield as it is, so who knows


    Melissa
    Keep his pants on and talk to his woman. He has quite the temper and thinks she has left him a couple of times

    ReplyDelete
  25. Staci
    I am glad it did :D


    Melissa
    Oh those pirates ;)


    Cherry
    Good, now I got an answer too, thanks! :D


    Elysium
    Same with me. Modern day, no thanks! Cos they should know better

    Aurian
    Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for hanging around today Helen :D I have caused quite the storm. Lol, but I am sure that if all just met him they would fall as I did

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's been great fun on here (honest pirate it has!)
    I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks of Jesamiah after they've read the books. I've a feeling his "lapses" will not be regarded as so bad once people meet him! (after all, he is a pirate!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't wait to get started on this series. I love Helen's writing. I was supposed to be on this tour but when it got reorganized my blog was already booked unfortunaltely. So I'm going to work my way through them later this year. I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am glad it has been fun :D I do agree, fun week all around!



    Darlene
    I can understand that, I am glad I could take part since July is booked, very booked :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These have to be the best plot I have seen in a long time. Creative and original

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP