Thursday 7 July 2011

Book Review: Play of Passion - Nalini Singh

Series: Psy-changeling 9
Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 352
Published: UK May 2011 Gollancz

In his position as Tracker for the SnowDancer pack, Drew Kincaid must rein in rogue changelings who've lost control of their animal halves- even if it means killing those who've gone too far. But nothing in his life has prepared him for the battle he must now wage-to win the heart of a woman who makes his body ignite...and who threatens to enslave his wolf.

My thoughts:
I haven't read a Psy-changeling book since last years P-C frenzy and still it felt just like coming home when I opened this book. And it is also about the thing I love most about these books, changelings. The Psy are just so cold but in this book it is two changelings that fall in love and it is wild.

Drew is the tracker for the pack so he stands kind of outside the pack hierarchy. He is dominant but the question is how much? He has also always liked Indigo (awwwww) who is a lieutenant and therefore is above him in the hierarchy. She is also a dominant female and no one to mess with. I liked Drew, because he is charming and playful. I guess he must be cos of the things he does. Everyone likes him and yes I did fall at once too. Who would not? Indigo is different, hard but still approachable. Together they explode on the pages. But nothing is easy in the changeling universe and here the trouble is that she is dominant and 4 years older. He is hard to place in the hierarchy and she fears being with someone less dominant because that could make him resent her. So yes they have some issues to work through but the way to their HEA is just wonderful because Drew does not give up and I really adore his playful side.

But like with all books there is something bigger on the horizon. The Pure PSY group wants Silence stronger than ever and they are willing to kill every PSY who has flaws and those that protect them. The clock is also ticking for a bigger showdown and I sense it will be big and bad.

This is a great paranormal romance series and I feel so home in this world. It is familiar and at the same time not. If you want you can even jump straight into the middle and still feel the magic, but then you will miss all the great couples and who and what the PSY really are. Though I do confess to having not read the two books before this one.

Conclusion:
I truly enjoyed Drew and Indigo's story. It was romantic, playful and hot. These two have truly sizzling passion burning between them. And I should not forget the small insights we got into Hawke's and Sienna's "relationship". What can I say, when I closed the book I really wanted the next one and to see how that turns out.

Try this series, you will not be sorry.

Rating:
Read it :)

Cover:
Not a fan of the heads. Sure they look nice but they are all pretty much the same

37 comments:

  1. I am definitely behind on this series! Not a fan of that cover, either. The US cover is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot about this series. I think I have the first one on my wishlist. I love changelings, though I have just read one book which involved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! I love this series so much! Drew and Indigo are one of my favorite couples, their story was HOT. And now you're all caught up and ready for Hawke and Sienna, they're the top of my list of couples in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the cover is kind of blah.

    Will have to suggest this series to a friend who enjoys PR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard raving reviews about this series so I have finally placed it on my TBR list. LOL. Yeah I suck...I'm so far behind in so many series it isn't even funny but with awesome reviews like yours it's hard not to be! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you believe I've only read on short story in the Psy-changeling series?! *slaps self*

    Such a shame because it sounds like I'd instantly fall for Drew, too. I love playful couples, they always make the reading experience more enjoyable.

    Thanks for the review, Linda. I need to make time for this series and have a Psy Craze of my very own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the first few in this series, but just haven't picked one up in a while. I think I get bored with romance series that last longer than 3 or 4 books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this the 9th book in the series? I might have to go back and start it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the covers of the first editions much better! And I also am a huge fan of this series. Why did you skip the previous two? Did you not like the blurbs? And of course you can rush straight into Kiss of Snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still at Bonds Of Justice. I didn't want to pick it up again until my copy of Kiss Of Snow gets here so that I can read them one right after the other :) ...well, that was the plan... now, after reading your review... I can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL The heads. :)

    I need to read this series. I haven't gotten to it yet! *evil laugh on me!* :( Yes, I have several wishlisted. I want several so I can just sit and dive into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried any P-C yet so this one might be the first, despite pretty much bland cover. Hmmm how much romance in a romance I dare to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Chris
    Eh, dunno about that, it's so colourful. Lol, yes I do not like any covers


    @Misha
    I hope you try the series one day and perhaps when you do it has ended so you do not have to wait


    @Jenny
    I love Hawke and Sienna even before reading their story :D I so want to see how it turns out.
    And Indigo and Drew, awwww, I think they are my fav couple at the moment


    DC
    I am sure she would enjoy the series

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Deanna
    Lol, please, I am so behind too. I only read this one cos I had book 1, had not read it, a friend read it, gave it back and said I had to read it. AND then I finally read it


    @Missie
    That is how I started and I really like that short story :)
    He was just awwww, I wanted to hug him and then tell her to let him hug her.

    I hope you get the chance to read it one day


    @Carol
    Yes I can understand that. I do not want a series do go on forever. it drives me insane


    @Audra
    yes book 9! And there have been short stories too

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Aurian
    Well it was more like not having them and then wanting to read this one. Cos one was just psy-psy and the other one..human-psy? Not my fav combos and yes totally just want to jump to KoS now


    @Cherry
    Hihi, oh I want KoS so much too and especially after reading this lovely book. I do hope you enjoy those you have


    @Melissa
    Maybe just jump from book 1 to 4 and then to 8 ;) Lol, well jumping is good too. I hope you read it one day


    @Ana
    Oh Ana, I fear a lot..a lot. The story of PSY bad guys are back in the other rook while these two either lusts after each other and then makes out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just like real life - men who aren't on equal or superior footing to the women thy're in love with grow to resent those same women...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm only up to book 4 in the series, I can't believe I have so many to go lol and I'm so anal about reading them in order I guess it will be a while before I get to this one. It sounds wonderful and what a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read any of these but they do sound good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read one of the earlier books a while back and would love to get back to this series one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi B!

    blogger must hate me...it keeps blocking my comments!! lol

    Excellent review, made me want to dig into the series! I have sooo many to caught up on.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You review so many great ones that it's so hard to pick one!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. damn I'm soooo behind on this series! I'm a bit miffed because I wanna read Hawke's story but I must read the other ones before =P

    *sigh* At least this one is something I look forward =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Steph
    It's sad :/ Well at least here it works out, some men are just good.


    @Teddy
    Yes you have quite a few to read still ;) But I do hope you will enjoy them all.


    @Yvonne
    I am sure you would enjoy them


    @Jenny
    I hope you do go back one day :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Dottie
    What!? I shall go and kiss blogger's ass!
    Hihi, I have 3 to read too ;)


    @Staci
    I am blessed, oh and that if I book is really boring I will not finish and review it ;)


    @Caro
    I so wanna read that one too, therefore I did jump over two books and just got to the good stuff which means this book

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is one of those authors I keep hearing about but have never read. I must try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Ana
    Oh Ana, I fear a lot..a lot. The story of PSY bad guys are back in the other rook while these two either lusts after each other and then makes out


    Oh great, a love massacre is coming...;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never heard of this series before. Need to go check it out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been thinking of trying a Nalini Singh novel for quite sometime. I think I will start with this series. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vivienne
    Maybe you will read a book by her one day then :)


    Ana
    Lol, I fear what you might think of


    Katja
    It's fun :D Go have a look


    Veens
    Yay, I hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've tried the first book(as you know) and I need to get going with the rest it seems. I hope I'll enjoy the rest of the books as much as you do :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ladybug
    I forgot that for a moment! it is you I have to blame ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. sounds like a fun series. I haven never read anything Psy-changeling related.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Naida
    They are a fun bunch..well not the Psy cos they do not feel anything

    ReplyDelete
  34. i've heard so many great things about this author!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I must read to see if I don't fall in love immediately, It seems futile though.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Liz
    Lol, it does have a way to suck you in

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP