Wednesday 6 July 2011

Review: The Warlord's Legacy - Ari Marmell

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 400
Published: May 2011 Gollancz

The war is over; Audriss the Serpent and his plans for tyranny have been put to an end. But for a man like Corvis Rebaine - whose past is full of horror and atrocities - there is no rest; especially not when word begins to spread that he's going around killing key members of the ruling aristocracy and the merchant Guilds... because it's not actually Corvis doing it. If he's going to clear his name, and find out who's using it for their own nefarious purposes, then he will have to enter the murky world of politics and assassination once again. And he's not going to be very pleased about it.

My thoughts:
This book takes places 6 years after the events in Conqueror's Shadow, and sure you can read it as a stand alone novel. But if you really want to get to the bottom of things then you should read CS first.

I do like Corvis, why? Well I do not know because I honestly should not. Over 20 years ago he brought death and destruction and killed..and then killed some more. He was one crazy warlord. Then he came back and killed some more but the point is that he always had an idea behind it. He wanted to make the country better since now everyone is suffering beneath the guilds and the nobles. Sure he may just have gone about it the wrong way *whistles*, but I like a good anti-hero.

In this book someone is massacring nobles and the Guild and it seems to be Corvis. Though it is not so he has to clear his name, or take the easy way and just kill the person behind it all. I was also saddened to see that his wife had taken the kids and left him because she felt he would not change. Awww poor Corvis. He could not find a way to bring his nice protective personality and the killing machine to work together. Such a shame because I liked Cerris as he called himself.

So he is not a good person, but he tries to be. And those that think they are good are not good either, in the end it does not matter. Nothing is black and white in this book. People do what they think is the best and it does not always work out.

Conclusion.
A bit more gritty fantasy where you will like the bad guys and dislike the good guys. And considering how it ended there must be more to come. It was a nice solid ending, but then there was that promise of more that may happen. 

And I promise you that you will like Corvis, the best of bad guys.

Rating:
Good

Cover:
Ok

34 comments:

  1. It's not a cliffhanger ending is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I have often found myself liking the "villains", simply because they stand out the most and evoke the most emotions. I like that everything isn't black and white - that's somehow more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy it when I'm loving the bad guys. I've got to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love an anti-hero as well:) Any characters that blur the line between good and bad area always interesting, and it seems like this book has those types in spades. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally on board with loving the bad guys. Sounds like a possible next time I'm in the mood for fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, his wife leaves him? But they were so happy together in the last book. I enjoyed the first book in the series and look forward to reading this one, though I hope it has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha I love when I love the bad guy more than the good guy. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, your Corvis is exactly like me - I am a good, likeable blogger girl, just accidentally killing off these poor romance novel I stumble upon and read...no harm meant or done, just simple killing, right? I can't help myself - do you still like me?

    *Anachronist makes those big, puppy eyes like the Cat in Boots from Shrek movies"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy warlord! My heart is pounding. LOL

    It kind of makes you feel like you are living on the edge when you care for a book character you know you wouldn't dare even look at in RL. That is what makes reading fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the name Corvis for a fantasy book, so I think this is a good one for me. :) I love liking the bad guy, but perhaps I should get the first one? Don't faint! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the first book and this one as an ARC. I need to read them sometime as I think I'm rally going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can forgive Corvis’s killing spree...as long as its principled and for a **good reason**!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the first book but haven't read it yet. I saw this at store and was wondering if I should buy it.
    I like when everything isn't black and white. Makes story so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cherry
    None at all. It all ends but then there is a chapter about another person so yes there could be more if he writes it


    @Misha
    It was more realistic. Sure he did bad things, but he also had heart and reason. it was just real.


    @ALyssa
    They are the best and he is a very good bad guy


    @Jenny
    Where ever you look they jump out. Like the good guy who is hunting down Corvis but then the good guy does bad things so he not good. Oh yes everyone is just normal...and bad

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Dana
    Some you just have to like and I sure like him


    @Simcha
    *cries a bit* yes! it starts with her having left him years ago and that just broke my heart. I really thought they could be happy. Poor Corvis, poor Tyannon.


    @Carole
    Oh I hated the "good" guys with a vengence ;)


    @Ana
    Haha, yes he is just like you. So that is then the reason why I like you. No one kills romance novel characters like you and butchers happy endings. It's a love massacre.

    And noooo! cat in boots eyes are my weak spot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Missie
    I guess so. Even a person that liked him started dislking him when that person realised who he was. So yes bad bad bad bad guy. But damn if I don't love him still


    @Melissa
    It's a good one though it did have me laughing a bit. You see in Swedish Korv means sausage and well corv is then the same. And the -is at the end makes it look like a petname. Like I would call someone my sausage-is. Yes I am that childish ;)
    *faints* Lol


    @Ryan
    Ohhhh I do hope you like book 1 then :D


    @Steph
    It is, he has a good reason for it, a really good one.


    @Elysium
    Here is sure is a mess of colours, the way it should be. I do hope you like book 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like that the characters aren't good or bad, they are in the middle. that makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Makes me want to read this to see why you liked the bad guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one does sound good. I tend to like the villains.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would totally hurt myself using that sword on the cover, with its spikey hilt base!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm...this one sounds good. I have a feeling you're going to force me into trying fantasy and then on top of that loving it. :-) Great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how passionate you are about fantasy!! I really need to get my act together!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, how I love a read that makes you want to love the bad guy. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like bad guys who aren't all bad - everyone has reasons for what they do in real life so I am intrigued. But I hate jumping into a series in the second book (unlike some people I could mention...Melissa!) so will look aout for the first book first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm interesting review Blodeuedd. I'll keep this series in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Ana
    Haha, yes he is just like you. So that is then the reason why I like you. No one kills romance novel characters like you and butchers happy endings. It's a love massacre.

    And noooo! cat in boots eyes are my weak spot!


    Hahah here I get you! Love massacre...a nice name for a book blog don't you think? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  27. @carrie
    I like those two cos we are all like that one way or another. Well then there are those that are just bad, and those that are freakishly sweet lol


    @Jenny
    Hihi, one just have to like him


    @Naida
    Her is a a good villain, honestly I think he is the good guy


    @Chris
    Lol! yes that sword is not something to play around with

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Deanna
    yes yes, I will not rest before you dip your toes in fantasy water and not fantasy romance, no no, the epic awesome kind.


    Thanks Yvonne!


    @Staci
    Hihi. you never forget your first love :)


    @Melissa
    he is the best, there is no other way to put it. He is just so well written

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Mel
    Lol, oh yes Melissa is quite the jumper *whistles do not read my other review where I jumped from book 6 to 9 ;)*


    @Aurian
    I hope you do


    @Ana
    Oh awesome name. The Love Massacre, where good books goes to die...oh that sounds evil

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like liking characters you shouldn't be liking. :) Great review. Sounds like an interesting fantasy read. One I might need to look into. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Melissa
    Lol, I know, I feel all bad too ;) But then he does really truly mean well

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP