Friday 24 February 2012

Review: A Local Habitation - Seanan McGuire

October “Toby” Daye is a changeling, the daughter of Amandine of the fae and a mortal man. Like her mother, she is gifted in blood magic, able to read what has happened to a person through a mere taste of blood. 
Half-human, half-fae, outsiders from birth, most changelings are second-class children of Faerie spending their lives fighting for the respect of their immortal relations. Toby is the only changeling who has earned knighthood, and she re-earns that position every day, undertaking assignments for her liege, Sylvester, the Duke of the Shadowed Hills.
Now Sylvester has asked her to go to the County of Tamed Lightning to make sure that all is well with his niece, Countess January O’Leary, whom he has not been able to contact.  For Tamed Lightning has somehow been cut off from the other domains, and now someone has begun to murder January’s key people. If Toby can’t find and stop the killer soon, she may well become the next victim….

Series: October Daye #2, Genre: Urban Fantasy, Pages: 377, Published: 2010, Publisher: DAW, Source: Bought

My thoughts:
It's Friday and I will try to make it short, you know I always say this but never quite managing making it really short ;=)

Anyway, yay, one more October Daye book for me to read. I really liked book 1 and wanted to read more. The series is just so dark and she doesn't always save the day at the first try. People die, as seen in book 1. I also like the world, the fairies are all around us, in our world, in the Summerlands, always hiding. A great world, and a great heroine. Poor Toby, will she talk to her mum again? What about that which she left behind 14 years ago? That breaks my heart and makes me wonder.

Back to this book. She is sent to find out why Duke Sylvester's niece is not answering his calls. A mystery she has to solve if she wants to live. This would be the only negative things about the book, 95% of the book takes place at an office building over a few days. I do like a good change of scenario, so that does not make this book as good as book 1.

As for romance, Connor..but I do not like him, he should know better. He belongs to someone else, someone who would kill poor Toby. Therefore I love Tybalt. One: He is a cat! I love cats. Two: Well he is a cat, duh, I love them. So that pretty much brought me over to this team. And he is all mysterious and weird.

And look, this is not short... Ok I can't make it truly short, oh well.

Conclusion:
Thanks to a contest win I got book 3, since, well I need to read more. A recommended serie. 

Cover:
Ok.

------------------
My Flash fic

34 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this series, but a book with a cat protagonist? that's one I'm gonna read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a CAT? *gasps* I LOVE IT! :D Even though I haven't read the book yet, I know which team I'm on. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. BookCat
    Yup, he is Caith Sidhe, or however you spelled it. I do love cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love me some Tybalt. Connor doesn't bother me but I prefer Tybalt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole
    Lol, yay, welcome in the cat club :)


    Linda
    Connor is ok, it's just that he can't win over the King of cats

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting. Not sure how I feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love this series! We have good taste, my Chica!

    Wonderful review!

    I Love Cats, too. Grimalkin from the Iron Fey series is a Caite Sithe and way cool! My fav character in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good series. She must be pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice series to try - how long is it? Is it finished?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dana
    Not sure how you feel about interesting?

    Kristi
    We do have excellent taste in books ;)
    Oh he was? Well that makes sense, lol


    Carol
    She is, she always has been

    Ana
    Eh...you are asking too much!
    *runs too Goodreads*
    5 books so far, at least 2 more

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep - one more UF series I need to start. I even have the first two books already...if only there was more time in the day for reading...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Your reviews are always fun to read so you don't have to make it short.

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I have book one on the tbr and have been wanting to read this series. Looks like I need book 2 now as well.

    Oh and now you know why I love Grim in the Iron Fae series. I am hoping he also has a human side to him we haven't seen. YaY for kitties! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the guy in the background of the cover is Up To No Good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, I love this series! Have to wait until September for the next one, though. From your comments here I can't wait to see what you think about the others as you read them. I think you'll like it, but one or two things... wait and see! *cackles*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an interesting fantasy read. I haven't read antyhing with changelings in it. Unless the Harry Potter books count.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ailsa
    Oh no! Is Tybalt gonna do something stupid? Oh dang, I always choose the wrong guy, I even liked her creepy ex in book 1 *headdeask* Big mistake there

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't have to cut your reviews short because of Friday :)
    Looking forward to reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like another interesting series to keep in mind when I want a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep hearing all about Tybalt so I'm this is definitely on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mel
    READ! Lol, I know how you feel


    Missie
    I just wanted to try it, you know, make it faster for lazy me so that I could relax and put my feet up ;) And then, do nothing


    Melissa
    Ohh, now that would be fun. YAAAAY for kitties :D They deserve all the love they can get.

    I hope you read it soon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chris
    Lol, I think so too


    Naida
    Well, yes sure they count :)


    Aurian
    Hihi, I was just lazy


    Darlene
    I hope you do try it


    Karen
    yes yes, read it :D That is all I am saying

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carrie
    Lol, well he sure looks creepy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not for me but it's always fun to read about the different books out there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Staci
    I am glad you enjoy that :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cat? You know I love cats. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh this is one series I do want to read some day. I like the dark and fae sounds. :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A paranormal fantasy that takes place 95% in an office...it could work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kimba
    It sure is a good one :)

    Melissa
    I do hope you try it one day!

    Steph
    Lol, well it was different when I think about it

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm super excited to hear that you are enjoying this series as I have the first two books waiting patiently on my shelves. And they are dark??? I MUST read these! I love dark books :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Samantha
    This was one was dark, no dark dark, but bloody dark. Lol, that made no sense

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP