Monday 25 February 2013

Review: Wings of Wrath - Celia Friedman


Kamala, a peasant woman, has claimed the powerful sorcery of the Magisters as her own-the ability to draw on the power of the human soul without dying for it. But in her rise to power she finds herself hunted by the brotherhood, and flees to a land where spells are warped by a fatal curse. A land that even Magisters fear... 

My thoughts:
Exciting stuff. I love fantasy! I was not a fan of Kamala in book 1, but here I liked her better. I think much of my dislike had to to with poor Andovai, whom I really liked and then he died cos of her sucking the soulfire out of him. Seems Friedman sure like killing people.

Right, great world. Magisters who use magic by taking other people's lives. Witches who die by using too much magic. And a world where winged beasts from legend are coming back to suck the souls out of everyone. What is there not to like? 

Kamala is right at the front lines here. Queen Gwynofar is trying to find her heritage. Her son Salvator is taking the throne (oh I hate pompous religious a'holes who think their way and God is the only way!) and then there are many more. Like the witch queen Sidarea..bitch. I am also intrigued by Magister Colivar, I was already in book 1 and here the end, oh how Friedman taunts me with riddles! I need to know what he is!

A good sequel to this saga and the epic battle will continue and surely Friedman will kill more. Because this is a dark world. Magic kills.

Conclusion:
I read it fast. It was not as good as book 1, because there I was enthralled by the darkness, but still awesome enough that I need book 3. And why did I now tell the library to get it before?

Cover
Booooooring

Series: The Magister trilogy #2
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 448
Published: 2009 by Orbit
Source: Library

44 comments:

  1. Oooo look at that cover! I know it's really simple, but that is one seriously mean looking dragon, so I like it:) Glad to know this is a fabulous series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. simple is good sometimes :) I guess I just want more when it comes to fantasy covers. But yes it looks mean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha, I wrote something wrong on FB today, but I was too lazy to change it ;)

      Delete
  3. Witches die from using too much magic? That would be bad. (Unless they're bad witches, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then it's good, but yes if you are a witch then you will die. The only way not to die young is to not use magic...ever

      Delete
  4. I'm so difficult with fantasy it's not really for me but I know it's nice from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, now the cover isn't that bad. I agree religious, pompous aholes suck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aye they are the worst and they always make me soooooo angry!

      Delete
  6. The world building sounds nice, and I am glad you liked Kamala better this go round.
    I actually like that cover, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that it's ugly, I just find it so very boring ;)

      Delete
  7. Actually I like the cover, but I can see why you feel it's boring. :)

    Oh this sounds good. Even though it isn't as good as the first, it still sounds like a great addition. Hm... just might need a good fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) yeah I want action..or a hottie with a sword

      You totally need a fantasy to read

      Delete
  8. I've been watching her books many times at store but never bought one. Maybe I should sometime, it sounds very good.
    And I think the cover is simple and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told that her other series has an evil ending..made me scared and interested

      Delete
  9. Now I must find and read the book number one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Im guessing that sucking the soulfire out of people kills them :) This sounds like a cool series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not really a fantasy fan but that cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds really good! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a fan of the cover either! I totally agree with your boring mark.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, the cover is not good at all, which makes it so much harder to pick up this book, because a good cover will sell so much more! I'm glad you like this series. I haven't heard about it before but I'll definitely try to read it sometime. Love dark books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I know I should not, but yes covers draws me in. A bad one turns me away.

      Delete
  15. You make me want to read this, and agree with all cover is meh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm nice review. I think I will like this series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you about the cover, not a huge fan of it, but the story sounds amazing!! I love fantasy and am always on the lookout for a new series that is exciting and well-written. I'll definitely have to check this out. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just very meh.
      I do love new fantasy too, even if this one is older. But I love a good find

      Delete
  18. Can you start in the middle of this series and still get it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gah I hate when authors kill off my favorite characters. Boooo. But sounds like fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad, I liked him but I knew from start that he would die

      Delete
  20. You have pretty good luck with these types of books...and yes, the cover is boring!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP