Saturday 23 February 2013

Lady Scoundrels' Saturday: Dirty - Megan Hart


Lady Scoundrels are back and this time we review Dirty by Megan Hart. First up is Scorn.


Synopsis 
What I liked: 
What comes to your mind when you see erotica novels? Of course plenty of graphic sex scenes, a skeleton plot, a very superficial psychological make-up if any at all, characters often limited only to a description of an appearance. Small wonder plenty of readers shun these books considering them a waste of time and money. I am usually one of such readers. However Megan Hart managed to break that mould. 

I would compare ‘Dirty’ to ‘Bitter Moon’, an old movie by Roman Polanski which told a story of a romance in a very intelligent, funny and moving way. With the emphasis on ‘intelligent’ which always, entices me more than anything and makes me cave in even if, officially I am hardly a romance fan, let alone erotica reader. I found Elle a surprisingly complex heroine, taking into account what genre we are talking about. Her actions were fully justified by her sad experiences and reading about her I felt as if she was really alive, not one more sex-crazed cardboard character you can find galore in such novels. After a while you understand why she has acted they way she did but the full story is revealed at the end and the more you read the more you want to find out. You sympathize with her and with Dan who tries to lure her out of her shell and engage in a mature relationship. 

What I didn’t like: 
Although, up to a point, I could relate to Elle, I doubt such generous, understanding and patient men as Dan exist at all. He was like that fairy tale prince – a well-rounded lover, ready to be taken, without major commitments or vices. I can’t help thinking that in real life he would have a wife and at least several part-time bimbos hidden somewhere in the closet; that and a nasty habit or two ;p. 

Final verdict: 
If you feel like reading erotica go for something intelligent and read this one. The love scenes are really steamy hot and when you finish you won’t despise yourself for spending so much time with a ‘pink’ novel. 

Warning: 
It is an erotica romance novel - it contains a lot of graphic sex scenes which are highly inappropriate for underage public. Such issues as incest, suicide and sexual abuse of a minor are mentioned as well. Keep it in mind while deciding whether you want to read it or not.

 Sense says:
You don’t need to know who she is or who he is. All you need to know is that they meet by chance, they start fucking each other everywhere, he bosses her around, and she turns frigid after each fuck. And that it’s all boring.

As refreshing at it is to read about a successful—and surprisingly a total pushover—woman who fully embraces her sexuality, reading about said woman fucking a stranger in public places without preamble is not. When connecting with the characters is a problem, even the hottest sex scenes fall flat.

After all that it’s a bit too late to start fixing things. Although. If you’d take Dan and all the sex out I’d probably give this book four stars, because the only thing interesting in this book is Elle’s relationship with Gavin, the boy next door. Her secret might hit red on your squick scale but it’s quite obvious from the start. It was actually my first theory after reading couple of hints in the book. 

The end reveal was rushed and disappointing in all its telling—as opposed to showing. 

And last Sensitivity
I will give you that, it was dirty and hot...really dirty and hot. But as I am a known sex scene skimmer I do want more than that. And here it just did not work.

Elle was, well yes I know the whole point was that she was cold and needed to find the way to love and be loved again. But I never connected to her. As for Dan, him I never knew at all. I did not understand why he was with her, I did not feel a thing.

So I am stuck with 2 people I do not care about. Which leaves me with dirty sex scene (that I end up skimmin anyway cos I get bored by too much sex). I did like the whole plot though. Why she was so fucked up.

But I was bored, a lot. And while reading I actually fell sleep. There was still something good over the book, the emotional drama, the hot scene, the writing. But in the end not the book for me. No connection, no deal.

23 comments:

  1. maybe one day... I'm not really attracted to erotica books but I should try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my erotica..and I've heard great things about this author, but I just don't know about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not trust us! People love love this book

      Delete
  3. I think I'll give this one a miss. I find it incredibly difficult to read erotica when I can't give a toss about the characters ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was nothing that made me care and then it's just too hard

      Delete
  4. Wow two totally opposing opinions. I usually tend to avoid erotica for the exact reasons listed: little or no plot, no real character depth and loads of sex. I like steamy sex scenes and unless they are awkwardly done I enjoy them..but i need substance to surrounded it, a relationship. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they work for me, but erotica and I, well....it can get boring. And here when I did not care it was just way too hard

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a hit or a miss. Scorns review makes me want to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading the differing opinions on this one!! I would read it if it came up free for my Kindle!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post! enjoy the differing opinions, and maybe i'll give this one a try. Me erotic romances reading has been 50/50.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't normally read erotica, but I have to confess this sounds kind of interesting, especially with the Bitter Moon comparison. Love getting both perspectives on this, awesome reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D Even if I did not like it I still say that you should give it a go, one never knows

      Delete
  9. After all those conflicting opinions I don't know what to think about this book. :&

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, Ana is the only one who likes it a little? I am with you Blodeuedd, I do skim lots of love scenes, so reading erotica is not something I will be doing anytime soon. Falling asleep while reading has never happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ana and her romance ;)
      Yay I am so glad that I am not alone!!! :D

      Delete
  11. Aaaa, I'm not much for erotica. So, I'll pass. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP