Thursday 19 September 2013

Review: Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan

The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it. 

Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed allies: the Church, workers unions, and mercenary forces. 

Stretched to his limit, Tamas is relying heavily on his few remaining powder mages, including the embittered Taniel, a brilliant marksman who also happens to be his estranged son, and Adamat, a retired police inspector whose loyalty is being tested by blackmail.

Now, as attacks batter them from within and without, the credulous are whispering about omens of death and destruction. Just old peasant legends about the gods waking to walk the earth. No modern educated man believes that sort of thing. But they should...

My thoughts:
I can never do good fantasy justice. You know how I ramble on. The book was good, the book was excellent. What more is there truly to say? If you like fantasy I will definitely recommend it.

But I will try.

Fantasy and guns. I have come across it before and thought it was cool, and yes it was still cool cos it is different. On top of that we have an interesting magic system where some snort in gun powder and get more powerful. Gotta love that idea. But the ones with a different power do not like the powder mages. Good start for some drama.

As for the premise think the French Revolution. Down with the king and nobles and send them to the guillotine. Just add in magic and Gods.

The book had me hooked from page 1. The story was good and the characters fascinating. Tamas who orchestrated the whole thing to save his country from a neighboring one. Adamat, a former police officer who is sent to find some answers. Taniel who is know to have killed Privileged (those with great powers). Then we have others like a young woman trying to protect a boy from a noble family, another woman who wreaks havoc in the city after the fall, and others who I grew to like.

The book kept up a good pace and at the end I needed more. Because more is sure to come. I like where he left it. Enough to want more, but not ending with a horrible cliffhanger.

Conclusion:
So like I said I recommend it. And book 2 is coming out in February, I am so glad that there is not a long wait.

Hardcover, 548 pages
Published April 16th 2013 by Orbit
The Powder Mage #1
Fantasy
Library

40 comments:

  1. Oh for once I'm sure I saw this one somewhere else! I'm so glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it drew you in and was well done fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. It's been a while since I've read a fantasy novel. And I like the cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I needed was your first paragraph as a review B! =D I'll have to get this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds different. Snorting gun powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes...it was weird and great. Sanderson did something similar

      Delete
  6. I don't usually enjoy fantasy but I like the sound of the gunpowder mages lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I know what you mean about trying to describe good fantasy...too difficult. But you did a nice job! I HAVE to add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate having to describe a fantasy book...it's so difficult. You did a great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't cos there is so much I want to say and it all comes down to AWESOME! Read it!

      Delete
  9. Hmm. Is that cover supposed to evoke Game of Thrones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno. More like I killed them all, now I sit here tired on his throne

      Delete
  10. YAY!!! It was just good, the genre did not matter, well for me it did as I love fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing this for awhile andI'm so happy you liked it. It's been too long since I've read fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooooooh. I need a good fantasy soon. haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for no cliffhanger! That's always a good thing, looking forward to your thoughts on the next book in the series. I hope it's as good as this one was for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, you don't need a cliffie to make me want more too. OH and just the fact that you recommended it and it was fantasy is enough for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that this had you hooked from page one and fantasy & guns what more could as girl as for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I know fantasy and guns, one have to love it

      Delete
  16. hooked from page 1 is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you liked it as it was a pretty big book. I get frustrated when I have a hard time putting my feelings across on a book and it usually happens when I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard sometimes, I just want to throw roses over it and squee, lol

      Delete
  18. Great review B, looks promising. I hope you will enjoy book 2 equally.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh I must read this! I love fantasy, and if you say it's excellent, I'm adding it to my tbr pile. Plus no cliffie! :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes yes...well ok a tiny cliffie I mean there are more to come but nothing OMG IS HE DEAD? IS the DOG the assassin? You know lol

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP