Wednesday 29 October 2014

An Irish Promise - Isabella Connor

Art historian, Rachel Ford has returned to the Irish village of Kilbrook intent on keeping her promise to take revenge on the school bullies who ruined her childhood and destroyed her family.

Australian actor Finn MacKenzie sets hearts fluttering when he turns up in sleepy Kilbrook to help his aunt with a school production. He seems to have a charmed life, yet his confident façade hides heartbreak and tragedy. Although Finn isn’t looking for love, when he meets the mysterious Rachel, there's a definite spark between them.

Rachel is torn between her desire for revenge and this new love affair. She doesn’t want to deceive Finn, but can she trust him to keep her real identity a secret? And will he understand why she must keep her promise, no matter the cost?

My thoughts:
It started of good, and then the secrets started to roll out and I could no longer put it down. It was revelations I had not seen coming.

This is the story of Rachel who goes back to the village she hated, where she was bullied. And omg I HATED the bullies, effing cowards! How can kids be so cruel?! My heart bled for her and I got so mad. At first I was a bit taken aback, why go back and look for revenge? But as the story progressed and we got to see her diary, well my mind sure changed.

Finn is an actor from Australia and is staying with his aunt. He meets a pretty girl and falls for her. But can it be? They will go separate ways soon, and then there is the whole revenge thing she has not told him about.

There are other characters I'd like to talk about. Those I hated and liked. But I will leave you with some secrets not told. All things are not what they seem. There was this one character that I started to like because, oh I can't say. Just read and you will like that character too.

With the whole revenge thing it's not as you can guess a contemporary romance. Yes there is romance, after some time, they take it slow, they get to know each other, as they should. There are doubts, there are secrets.

There is also friendship, heartache and a nice village (but I wish people had stood up to those bullies years earlier).

Conclusion:
A story that got me hooked.

cover
meh
Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: Nov 7 from Choc Lit
Romantic Fiction
For review

27 comments:

  1. Contemporary romance isn't my thing, but characters sound interesting! It would be hard to take reading the bully scenes though, that boils my blood.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's not contemporary romance. There is never anything cute or sweet over it. It's romantic fiction

      Delete
  2. Kids can be very cruel. I had been horribly bullied when I was a child, so I feel her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bullying books are always tough reads for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the sound of this book. Yea, I hate bullies too! :P I need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, too bad they didn't stand up sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard to read about people being cruel. I just want to smack everyone! lol

    I like the sound of this one.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Friday off now, so Thursday is my Friday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh bullies... I didn't know about this one and even if I'm not a fan of the cover, I confess that I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading about bullies is always difficult. This sounds like good writing if it makes the reader feel emotional about it. I'm going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An un-putdown-able book is a definitely treat, especially one with an Irish twist. I hate bullies, but I'm pleased that the author was able to deliver that aspect with authenticity.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did well, I even understood the bullies (some were just assholes, and some followers)

      Delete
  11. Bullying books always make me super angry, but if there's a good resolution or closure for the characters, that's always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good closure, but it was tough there at one point

      Delete
  12. Well I am curious if she got her revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After that review I need to read this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP