Tuesday 7 October 2014

The Madness of Mr.Darcy -Alexa Adams

The year is 1832 and regrets beleaguer Fitzwilliam Darcy. All he ever cared for has been taken from him: his pride, his sister, and his true love, Elizabeth Bennet. Now, having nearly murdered a man in a fit of rage, he might lose Pemberley, too. More than just his home, his very identity is at stake. In desperation, he seeks the help of Dr. Frederick Wilson, owner and proprietor of Ramsey House, a madhouse for fine ladies and gentlemen. Is Darcy’s confinement the inevitable end to his tortured descent, or will he rediscover what he lost in the most unlikely of places?

My thoughts:
Honestly this was a sad re-telling ( but it has a happy ending!!!). But before that, so sad!

Mr Darcy has been a recluse for almost 20 years. Alcoholic, insomniac, he dwells in his own misery and thinks about all he has lost. Oh Mr Darcy! *cries* It was heartbreaking to see, but I knew the old Mr Darcy was in there, but he was just so depressed. 

Elizabeth has suffered too. The breaking point that leads to happy endings does not happen here. Lydia was not saved and therefore the whole family was shamed. Stupid times! Was it Lizzy's fault? No, but those were the times. So they were all left in misery.

Ok, now this sound depressing. But I promise you, happiness will come. Mr Darcy seeks help (well...is forced to seek help), he becomes better. And I ended the book with a smile on my face. Aww, better late than never. *cries again*

Conclusion:
A very different re-telling for sure. I enjoyed it immensely. 

307 pages
Published September 14th 2014 by Presumptuous Press
Pride and prejudice sequel
For review

45 comments:

  1. Whew glad it has a happy ending. I NEED those lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Lovely review. So appreciative, and thrilled you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should probably read the original story before I attempt any re-tellings, but I'm happy that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear!! Poor, poor Mr. Darcy! I'm glad to know there's a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Why does she have to make something so beautiful so angsty?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have happened and she showed us how

      Delete
  6. No... not for me, I don't want a sad retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your review has me very curious. Adding to the list.

    Not thrilled with the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. True, but it fits. Anything else would have been wrong

      Delete
  9. Oh wow! I would have passed on this one, but if you loved the ending then it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. My initial thought is no way-but if you're recommending it so strongly...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that it moves from sadness to a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even the cover looks downright dreary and soulcrushing! :(

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I didn't know about this one but wow it looks sad but I'm glad you had a happy ending though

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness. Glad you enjoyed it but no sad here for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I don't do sad stories, even with happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even the cover is sad. And the title. You cant get sadder(or more obvious XD) than that. Hope the happy ending was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, oh no, I don't like that Mr. Darcy at all! At least, you liked the ending. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will never get sick of P&P related retellings and spinoffs, so I'm sure I'll be reading this one soon. Glad to hear it's not a totally sad book :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love Mr Darcy and I can see him as a recluse, so long as Lizzie comes to rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. *crying* for Mr Darcy ... I have a friend who'd go mad for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP