Thursday 9 October 2014

The Knight - Pierre Pevel

The High Kingdom is facing its darkest hour. Its King has been weakened by illness and many are discontent with the Queen’s regency. As rebellion rumbles throughout the land, new threats are massing forces at the realm’s borders.

Desperate, the King decides to free Lorn, who has spent the past 3 years locked away on trumped-up charges in the citadel of Dalroth. Acting on the advice of a mysterious emissary of the Dragon, he dubs Lorn ‘Knight of the Onyx Throne’, making him the upholder of royal authority.

Lorn accepts the King’s mission but also hunts those responsible for his imprisonment. Reinstating the Onyx Guard, a once-powerful elite force, he becomes a new figure of hope for his people. But some take a dim view of his growing popularity and influence, and they are busy plotting his downfall.

If he foils his enemies, will he assume the role of champion that the Dragon’s Council of Emissaries have been seeking, the one capable of facing the Black Dragon? He must first confront an evil that gnaws at him ever since he was exposed to the Dark at Dalroth, which now threatens to overwhelm him.

My thoughts:
First, all I can think about is the ending, but we will get back to that later.

Lorn once was a celebrated knight, now 3 years later he is freed from prison. A hellish prison that has left him eternally marked by darkness. And by darkness I actually mean darkness. The dark is a force not to be played with. It can turn you, it can kill you. Not to mention sitting in a shitty prison for 3 years is hell too.

The kingdom is in turmoil (all good kingdoms are ;). The king is sitting in his citadel, half dead and hiding. The princes are...well princes, but one seems promising. The queen has the power and the dukes wants to rebel. And all while another nation wants to take back land they lost. The usual stuff then, politics, war, death, destruction, dark powers, and just awesomeness!

I could not stop reading, I got caught up in Lorn's story, he was such an unwilling hero. He was so angry. I wanted to know why he had been in prison. I wanted to know why he had to save the land.

But then came the ending. I sat up in bed and said wtf, wtf...WTF!? That was an evil ending. That ending was too evil. That ending was brutal. It had me going to goodreads at once and reading the French blurb for book 2 (as this is a translation and book 2 has not been published yet.) I need book 2 now, I even thought about reading it in French for a second, but then I remembered I only took that beginner's class.

Conclusion:
So, an evil ending (if you had not realised that by know). A great tale, interesting world, and I want more.

cover
eh

Paperback, 544 pages
Published September 18th 2014 by Gollancz (first published September 1st 2012)
Haut-Royaume #1
Fantasy
For review

38 comments:

  1. Boring title, boring cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I'll wait for book 2 to be translated before diving in though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's French? It's so rare to have to have on translate in English. But well I didn't know about this one. Hope you were able to translate quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got the idea of what book 2 was about. I know enough big words to get the general scope.

      Aye French, I'd so read it in French if I could. it comes out in a month

      Delete
  4. LOL only beginning French would make it difficult. ::snort::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do not think I would get the same feeling as now ;)

      Delete
  5. Ha ha.. too funny a total wtf ending had you tempted to read the next book in French, must have been one darn good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I will wait for your review of that second book. Maybe a French class needs to be taken now? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I totally should take one, but when I am finished it will be out in English so..sigh, I will wait

      Delete
  7. Oh man, sounds like the ending would kill me too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, NO to brutal endings. I like my HEAs too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are more books and fantasy is not really HEA like ;)

      Delete
  9. haha endings you really couldn't stop thinking about it - i like it when an ending sticks with me like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read book 2 soon...soooooon

      Delete
  10. OMG yes, I want to read this book. Looked great when I saw the description for the first time. If only it had a US release date, give it to me already! :(

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds promising! Think I may give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I love that you were so desperate for book two that you almost read it in french! Now that is dedication :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally do it, if I only could, sigh

      Delete
  13. I read and reviewed one book by Pierre Pevel (a historical fantasy, Cardinal's Blades) and I think I'll wait for the rest of this series. My heart is too weak for cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of cliffies, they break me in two. Those darn cliffies!

      Delete
  14. Great review...I have to admit, I do like a book that leaves you desperately seeking for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate starting a review talking about the ending, but sometimes it's inevitable, especially when it's as WTF as this one appears to be. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to, it was all I could think about afterwards

      Delete
  16. A translation from French??? It's very rare that I see that. Hahah, I would be able to read book 2 as well. Will check the series out. Thank you for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I liked it, and I saw no bigger issues with the translation either :)

      Delete
  17. This sounds awesome! But I think I'll wait for second book to be published to read this one. I hate evil endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, good idea, I hope it will be translated soon

      Delete
  18. Totally forgot to comment. *facepalm* IDK what I was originally going to put, but yeah, it doesn't sounds bad! I need to refreshen up the French I do know.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP