Tuesday 16 August 2016

Of Bone and Thunder - Chris Evans

Apocalypse Now meets The Lord of the Rings in a bold new fantasy from acclaimed writer, Chris Evans. In a daring new approach to the traditional world of sword and sorcery , it thrusts us into a maelstrom of racial animus, drug use, rebellion, and an unending, unwinnable,war. In this thrilling epic, right and wrong, country and honour, freedom and sacrifice are all put to the ultimate test in the heart of a dark, bloody, otherworldly jungle. 

My thoughts:
I really liked his other military fantasy series, but this one was haaaaaaard to like. After having read half of it I so wanted to throw in the towel, but then I already spent one day reading and was all aaaaaargh! So I read 50 more pages, and then just started skimming.

Do not ask me to tell you about the characters, I can not remember anyone's name. I do not remember anything about anyone. This was Vietnam, except it wasn't, except it totally was American solderers talking, crawling through the jungle, shooting civilians, realizing they will never win this stupid war, flying dragons instead of helicopters. Any real combat was scare, next to nothing. I knew about about the rash on a soldier's crutch than actual fighting.

I was bored, I need to know names, but all soldiers blended into each other, except for that spy guy Rickets and Jawn the magician. See I know two from dozens.

So not for me, a pain to read, and it's a stand alone, of course the war was not over, think of the actual war, they will just continue to go around that jungle until they give up and are shipped home.

Paperback, 528 pages
Published February 6th 2015 by Titan Books (first published October 14th 2014)
Fantasy
Own

30 comments:

  1. I thought the opening chapter was amazing, with their painfully realistic approach to riding dragons into battle, but the constant reminders of inflexible authority structures, men losing their minds, rampant drug addiction, and quandaries of faith and morality simply got to be too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did have promise, and I do think I still believed so when reading chapter 1. But is just was not for me, no fantasy

      Delete
  2. Ah, war. Not a fan of those either. But that's a powerful title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like war, but hardly any fighting here

      Delete
  3. It is always hard when a book by an author you enjoy doesn't grab you :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being bored while reading is the worst, sorry this one didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally (or sort of) unrelated to this book, but I'm curious about the military fantasy you spoke of. I have to check out his work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hate when I feel like when reading a book. Makes it so hard to finish (skimming or not)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your next read is more to your liking <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my!! I despise boring books so much!!! They are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book as well, still sitting on my TBR shelf after a year or so. Hmm sad to say this is not making me any more motivated to read it, such a shame it didn't work so well for you :(

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. A shame you didn't enjoy this one, it's hard to remember details about a book that you didn't enjoy. You tried, that's what matters!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admit, the cover had me thinking this was something else. Military Fantasy sounds fun, but I'm not sure this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. UGH... But the opening "Apocalypse Now meets The Lord of the Rings" should have been a clue - those two titles just DON'T belong together! haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes military gets to military for me. This sounds like that kind of book for me. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP