Monday 8 August 2016

Sense and Sensibility and Sea monsters - Ben H Winters

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters expands the original text of the beloved Jane Austen novel with all-new scenes of giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed sea serpents, and other biological monstrosities. As our story opens, the Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels? This masterful portrait of Regency England blends Jane Austen’s biting social commentary with ultraviolent depictions of sea monsters biting. It’s survival of the fittest—and only the swiftest swimmers will find true love! 

My thoughts:
I am going to admit to something that may shock you...Austen's writing can be dry *people gasping in horror* Oh shut it, yes I KNOW I read like a million variations, but *coughs* dry. Dry I say.

Never mind that, well yes do mind that, because that was my problem with this book, it was rather dry. Oh fibblesticks.

But the world was cool, the creatures of the sea, lakes and more have turned into man eating monsters. Everything is out to get you. And in this crazy world the sensible Dashwoods lives and everyone goes on with their business as usual. Oh that servant is making a spectacle of himself while being eaten, look away. How dare he. That I liked, the manners of the time combined with people having to fend of monsters at the same time.

Have some tea, oh and pick up ore and kill the hideous sea monster while you are at it.

Conclusion:
But it was dry, and even though it was fun...it was boring and dry. Even when it was fun. Still, would make a cool movie.


Cover
Ha

Paperback, 340 pages
Published September 15th 2009 by Quirk Books
Sense and Sensibility variation
Own

43 comments:

  1. OK, the title made me laugh, then I saw the cover, which made me laugh more. Sounds like thats where to stop with this one (unless they make a movie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the Colonel and she does marry him...tentacles and all

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of Austen. That cover though is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a big fan of Austen, I find her writing dry as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the movies *coughs* I am the worst

      Delete
  4. Eh... I think I can deal. I always figured her dryness is more due to the time period she wrote. I also love the variations b/c it isn't so dry! Hm... should dry be here since it is full of SEA monsters? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, sorry classics, but they are dry, not all, but for sure some.
      And true again, that is why I like them, but this one kept too much at times

      Delete
  5. Mmmm...dry and boring? Doesn't sound too appealing, but fun? I don't know what to think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool, but still dry and boring at times. TORN

      Delete
  6. I love Ben H. Winters, but based on the style of the books I've read by him, I found it really funny that he'd written something like Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, lol. One day I'll have to be a completionist and pick this one up.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are just so weird, what a world

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. I don't know if I have the stomach for this one, though. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what the hell is that ahahahah sea monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid Colonel Brandon looks like that

      Delete
  9. sorry to hear it was a bit boring. The cover cracks me up though hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG the cover! With you on the dry although this looks a bit wet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then you might like this one too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't like this one. I remember trying to read it when it first came out, and I only made it through a couple of chapters. The premise is fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me I still need to see P&P & Zombies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not as fun as I would have wanted it to be

      Delete
  14. That title! I will have to look into this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lmao I wondered how this one was. Figured the writing would be dry though :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book LOL so cheesy, but I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How can a book about SEA MONSTERS by dry?!! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP