Friday 12 August 2016

Talking to Addison - Jenny Colgan

The story opens with the modern-day heroine Holly trapped in the flatshare from hell with members of "Scary Clean Freaks Incorporated", ruled by the obnoxious Carol who "dispensed ... Robert de Niro-to-doomed gangster stares". Even when Holly escapes the suburban inquisition, life still isn't a bed of roses: she's an unemployed florist, in love with a recluse and she's being bullied. She's in good company though when she moves in with a bunch of equally maladjusted misfits: Josh, a terminally nice boy, has issues; Kate, the high-flying and no-nonsense career girl, wilts every time a married man comes along and then there's Addison--the drop-dead-gorgeous lodger ("Johnny Depp in geek form")--who never leaves his room, already has a girlfriend (albeit over the Internet) and is a certified Trekkie fan. 

My thoughts:
I liked it at first, but the last 100 pages were brutal. It just got weird and all wtf.

I liked Holly at first, but in the end..no. F no. She is flaky. She gets new roommates and falls in love with the nerd who does not talk. He has a girlfriend online, but does she care. No, because she knows better. He should be with her, even if he does not want to. She lies. She meets this great guy, but she is all in love with Addison, and trust me, she will still get a HEA: But in the end I did no think she deserved one.

I just wish those last 100 pages had not happened, it was some sort of trippy dream, it just went from a silly book to is everyone crazy? 

Also there is this one thing that happens, and most just laugh it off, but honestly, you could put someone in jail over that!

Conclusion:
It went from good to bad. So ok then

Paperback, 400 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)
Chic-lit
Own

47 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Hate it when a good book takes a turn for the worst. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird freaking acid trip there at the end

      Delete
  3. Oh woah! I want to know exactly what happened in the last 100 pages now. What a shame though because the rest of the story sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad before that then, but then it just sucked

      Delete
  4. I hate it when this happens! A book starts strong, rolls along well, and then deteriorates in the end and leaves you wondering what just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand flaky protagonists, so this one is definitely a no-go for me. Sorry the last chunk was so awful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books with bad endings should be shot. The survivors should be shot again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad to know it wasn't worth it! :(
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I don't think this one is for me. You not actually wanting them to have an HEA speaks volumes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just reviewed a book by this author. I liked it okay, but I don't think I am going to read more of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like another one I read by her, a much later one

      Delete
  10. I hate when a book is going so well and then the ending totally ruins it. I'm sorry this disappointed you but I hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds a bit disjointed and all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds too chicky lit for me, skipping right by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not even chic-lit, that should be fun, this was just stupid

      Delete
  13. I felt that way about another one of her books.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww...I'm sorry it didn't end on a good note. I've been wanting to read this author.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw man I wish I knew more about the details! I want to know what happened in those 100 pages that ruined everything, because the synopsis of this book does sound kinda fun, even if it's totally wacky.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an acid trip, what was the author thinking

      Delete
  16. too bad that it changed like that

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review. I'll pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's too bad, the cover is cute. I don't like flaky characters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I so hate it when the ending of a book goes south---its torture for book lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did dislike her from the getgo, so no big losss

      Delete
  20. Never met a Holly I could stand. LOLLLLL ;D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It always sucks when a story that is okay ends on a bad note. Sorry this one wasn't better for you.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP